• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What, Is may the "land gear up month" and no one told me?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw that ealier in the month...ouch.
One runway, no diverts. Hate to be that crew.
I see no foam on the runway. Usually a sign of a planned gear up landing.
Hope there is a good reason...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
My source said unplanned. Night approach coming in from Guam. Can't imagine how a multi-crew aircraft lands gear up.

Lawman

None
Pugs said:
My source said unplanned. Night approach coming in from Guam. Can't imagine how a multi-crew aircraft lands gear up.

The old saying:

"There are two types of pilots flying retrac aircraft, those who have and those who will land with the gear up."

Speaking with a bone driver from another site if both mains dont come down they dont land on the gear. Though his experiance was if cant get both mains down in the Bone you pull the yellow handle. Be interesting to read the report on what happened.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pugs said:
Of course we don't have all the details, but I also can't imagine that there's not some kind of elaborate gear up warning system of some kind.

Brett

Lawman

None
Brett327 said:
Of course we don't have all the details, but I also can't imagine that there's not some kind of elaborate gear up warning system of some kind.

Brett

You mean that loud screaming horn thingy that goes off? Or that colorful display of sparks and heavy vibration/ungodly loud noise that goes off? Im sure one of them got the crews attention....

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
B1tchin Betty must not have been turned up. Attached are samples of Betty

Attachments

• voicewarning.zip
    208.5 KB · Views: 102

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
If anybody on this forum thinks that this couldn't happen to them, think again. Coming from a multi-piloted aircraft, as an instructor I ran a scenario that caught 75% of students (winged aviators upgrading to 2P or AC) with gear up on final. That is a huge eye opener. That is why when the tower says "check wheels down" for the fifth time on the approach, I still look for three down and locked. And it can still happen to me.
\end rant\

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, so the "Bank angle" kind of turned me on. She seems to be exerting herself pretty hard to tell me that...

@e6bflyer:

I'm with you. Anytime I say down and locked, I actually look at the indicator and then say specifically say "Three down and locked," whether it's the first time or the 27th time in the pattern.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
BigIron said:
B1tchin Betty must not have been turned up. Attached are samples of Betty
Thank God there's no such monstrosity in my jet - that would get old very fast.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sooooooo ..... riddle me this, boys:

If there are truly only TWO kinds of Aviators (pilots) .... "those who have; those who will .... " blah, blah, blah .... how does one account for the fact that I and the vast majority of other aviators --- never "have"? And ... never "will"?? And since my flyin' days are nearly OVER .... unless I buy that Stearman .... I don't think I ever "will" ..... :)

"COULD" I ??? For sure .... that's a totally different proposition ... as anything "CAN" happen on any given day. But "have" and "will"??? A completely B.S. saying ... and not even too clever. Disregard and move on ... for your own sake.

DO YOUR CHECKLISTS. USE YOUR CREWMEMBERS. IF YOU ARE SOLO --- DO YOUR CHECKLISTS (GEAR/FLAPS) AGAIN .... AND MAYBE AGAIN!

But "those who HAVE and those who WILL .... "??? What's YOUR mindset?? PLEASE .... :icon_rast

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Thats the awesome thing about the SH-60B....the wheels are always down. Or the TH-57, which has no wheels.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Sooooooo ..... riddle me this, boys:

If there are truly only TWO kinds of Aviators (pilots) .... "those who have; those who will .... " blah, blah, blah .... how does one account for the fact that I and the vast majority of other aviators --- never "have"? And ... never "will"?? And since my flyin' days are nearly OVER .... unless I buy that Stearman .... I don't think I ever "will" ..... :)

"COULD" I ??? For sure .... that's a totally different proposition ... as anything "CAN" happen on any given day. But "have" and "will"??? A completely B.S. saying ... and not even too clever. Disregard and move on ... for your own sake.

DO YOUR CHECKLISTS. USE YOUR CREWMEMBERS. IF YOU ARE SOLO --- DO YOUR CHECKLISTS (GEAR/FLAPS) AGAIN .... AND MAYBE AGAIN!

But "those who HAVE and those who WILL .... "??? What's YOUR mindset?? PLEASE .... :icon_rast

I knew this would draw A4s' ire (again). I too hate these kinds of meaningless aphorisms. They use the same on about puking in the cockpit - those who have and those who will. Pure BS. Going on 17 years sans in-flight expectoration here. I had a standing bet with all my pilots, $20 if they could make me puke - I'm still standing. :D

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
They use the same on about puking in the cockpit - those who have and those who will. Pure BS. Going on 17 years sans in-flight expectoration here. I had a standing bet with all my pilots, $20 if they could make me puke - I'm still standing. :D

Brett
Been flying since '90....never puked. If Florida and Arizona summer turbulence can't get me to do it, I think I'm pretty safe. Of course, I'm always up for a good challenge.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I'm with you. Anytime I say down and locked, I actually look at the indicator and then say specifically say "Three down and locked," whether it's the first time or the 27th time in the pattern.

Learned that lesson in primary on a LAPL(P). If you aren't looking at the gauges to say a checklist item, don't say it until you confirm.