• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What, Is may the "land gear up month" and no one told me?

Lawman

None
Hows this for an aphorism

mistakes.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
e6bflyer said:
If anybody on this forum thinks that this couldn't happen to them, think again. Coming from a multi-piloted aircraft, as an instructor I ran a scenario that caught 75% of students (winged aviators upgrading to 2P or AC) with gear up on final. That is a huge eye opener. That is why when the tower says "check wheels down" for the fifth time on the approach, I still look for three down and locked. And it can still happen to me.
\end rant\
Mind sharing the scenario?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I looked at that pic and after saying (Joe Dirt voice) "daaaaaaang"...I actually got nostalgic for Dodge. Cocktail please.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
A4sForever said:

DO YOUR CHECKLISTS. USE YOUR CREWMEMBERS. IF YOU ARE SOLO --- DO YOUR CHECKLISTS (GEAR/FLAPS) AGAIN .... AND MAYBE AGAIN!

Concure A-4s. In three logbooks of military flying I cannot remember ever not saying and checking "three down and locked" on short final with my pilot.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
Mind sharing the scenario?
Sure. On downwind for a flaps 14 landing in the E-6 (the big kind), start talking to your stud about how his sight picture is going to change, ask how his power pull and landing flare are going to differ. On a normal flaps 40 or 50 landing, the mantra that gets the gear down is "Flaps 25, gear down, before landing checklist". Since you never get to flaps 25 (the flaps are already at 14 on the downwind), most students generally forget to call for the gear, especially if they are thinking, talking, and flying all at once (still a feat for me today). Only when the gear warning horn goes off due to the throttles being at or near idle do most catch it. Some students even silence the warning horn (still an option at flaps 14) and continue down final until the engineer or I pimps him or her.
I forgot the gear when it was done to me during AC syllabus, it is a lesson that I hopefully will only have to learn once. We are such creatures of habit.:)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought you did have orders.....finally. It might be time to have a little one on one with your detailer. :icon_boxi

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Schnugg said:
Saw that ealier in the month...ouch.
One runway, no diverts. Hate to be that crew.
I see no foam on the runway. Usually a sign of a planned gear up landing.
Hope there is a good reason...

There is such a thing as planned gear up landings? This is news to me.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
If theres an emergency, and the gear won't go down, or if its down but the pilot doesnt think that its locked down, he can call ahead to the airport and let them know. they can PLAN for the potential disaster by spraying foam down.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some aircraft (I know mine does) have a table in the checklist listing actions taken with certain gear configurations. As in if the nose gear doesn't come down do A, if one main doesn't do B, or two mains C. In some instances it's preferable to raise the gear completely and belly it in rather than risk it in the current (flawed) configuration. And usually airplanes with hooks try to do a short-field arrestment if able.