• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Motivated you to go Naval Aviation?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
My story. Always interested in flying. Started taking lessons in high school. Went through an aviation program in college with the intent of going airlines. Realized I needed flight time to get hired. Most of my friends went the civilian-flight-instructing-for-an-FBO route. I decided the Air Force was the way to go. Viet Nam was ending and the Air Farce was rifting people right and left (friend of mine had gone ROTC, graduated, commissioned, and was discharged within the same day). You needed to have been academy or straight A's in college to get a pilot slot. I definitely didn't fit the mold. Got turned down. My recruiter said to wait a year and maybe things would open up. Another friend was prior-enlisted in the Navy and couldn't wait that long age-wise, so he and I went and talked to the Navy recruiter. I took the tests and filled out the paper work but never signed anything, deciding to wait the year and take my chances with the guys in blue. One year later I submitted another app with them and promptly got turned down again. Recruiter tried to get me to go navigator or bombardier. I declined, called up the Navy recruiters and asked them to activate my application. Six months later I had a slot in AOCS Class 04-76. I am soooooo glad the Air Farce turned me down twice. I ended up enjoying the Nav so much I made it a career. I went the TAR route after my first obligation was up and managed to stay in the cockpit my entire time in. Not very career-enhancing, but I had a blast. Spent my last ten years flying A-4's as an adversary guy. Doesn't get much better than that.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I was at National Harbor and saw same flight of 2 MH-65s low over the Potomac. They did look very cool and I paused to watch them pass....;)

I gotta say we're pretty lucky with what we see around here. That was the first time I saw the MH-65s but I always see some UH-60s and CH-3s in the Presidential livery flying up and down the river.

jmcquate

Contributor
I was at National Harbor and saw same flight of 2 MH-65s low over the Potomac. They did look very cool and I paused to watch them pass....;)
One fly's over my house every evening at about 6:45. At least there not as loud as the Border Patrol/Homeland Security 60s were.

jmcquate

Contributor
I gotta say we're pretty lucky with what we see around here. That was the first time I saw the MH-65s but I always see some UH-60s and CH-3s in the Presidential livery flying up and down the river.
They're VH-3Ds flown by HMX-1. When I was at the FDIC we had a 10th floor balcony overlooking the south lawn. Saw them deliver POTUS home many times...........never got old.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
They're VH-3Ds flown by HMX-1. When I was at the FDIC we had a 10th floor balcony overlooking the south lawn. Saw them deliver POTUS home many times...........never got old.

I'm sure has to be a pretty nice gig to fly those, I can't even imagine what it would be like to be one of those Marine Pilots (or the AF guys who fly Air Force 1, for that matter)