• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

what's the name of this plane?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
lowflier03 said:
Jet guys look out, that will be taking your job. :)

Said it before, I'll say it again. I'll believe it when I see it.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
When you look at how the Navy has been going towards saving money, reducing risks, downsizing, etc. it makes sense. (At least from their point of view.) They love the idea of ships that take fewer people to operate, technology that takes people out of harms way. Why risk losing a pilot and aircraft when we can send in a drone that can fire the same weapons and all that. Its going to be an interesting transition period.

KBayDog

And our future Marine Corps:
ch46e01.jpg

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
lowflier03 said:
Why risk losing a pilot and aircraft when we can send in a drone that can fire the same weapons and all that.

The reason, in my opinion, is summed up pretty nicely in fiction...The Terminator series, to be exact...granted, it's a movie, but truth is often stranger than fiction, and I've always found the Terminator movies to be the most (ideologically) frightening movies ever made...I don't want to see that type of situation ever occur, so for that reason, I don't support UAVs featuring combat capabilities of any type.

mattr

Pilots will never go away. The way I see it is the people who will be slected to "fly" the UAV's come from Primary and in order to get people going to Primary with the hopes of flying is if they have manned planes. Otherwise they won't have a wide pool of people to select from.

Well, at least in the AF that's where they are getting their UAV "pilots" in the future...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ghost119 said:
That thing had better not take out the pilots for at least the next ten years or I will be pissed.

I would guess much later than that, more like in 40-50 years. Just a guess but in the future, that's it baby!!

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I wont say that I agree with the whole ideology of a UAV military, that is just how the Navy has been thinking lately. My feelings can pretty much be summed up along the lines of...
Sometimes war is a necessary thing, however wars are fought for a reason/ideal, a reason that is so strong that you are willing to sacrifice lives for it. When you get to the point where human lives are no longer in the equation, war becomes something else entirely. I think if we ever get to the point where we are no longer willing to sacrifice lives for what we believe, then war can/will become a common solution to every problem. From there I think we would be in for a downward spiral and who knows where it would end.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Soooo ....... Who are you goin' drinking with on Liberty .... ???

Certainly NOT this guy .... ????

setImgWidth();

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd take R2 D2 over some of the people I've had to fly with...chicks probably dig him too.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
I'd take R2 D2 over some of the people I've had to fly with...chicks probably dig him too.
Yeah, R2 is a total chick magnet. He has some "special" attachments for that little arm of his for the ladies.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nyy said:
wow that was a fast response
thanks
Fly Navy is on the Air Warriors Fast Response Insertion Team. He had the duty, so he was just waiting around for questions like yours.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
. . . he was just waiting around for questions like yours.

Duty or not, I thought he did that anyway! ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Fly Navy is on the Air Warriors Fast Response Insertion Team. He had the duty, so he was just waiting around for questions like yours.

anim_lol.gif

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Said it before, I'll say it again. I'll believe it when I see it.
You will. :eek: No matter how often you say it. These things are in the notional airwings of the future. Nearly ten years ago I heard the CNO say that the F-35 (then JSF) would likely be the last manned tactical aircraft the Navy buys. You see anything on the drawing boards post F-35 or Rhino? As for the guys that operate them, you no sooner have to be a pilot then a NASA controller for a Space Shuttle mission does. I'd say NFOs, whether they like it or not, are more likely to become future UCAV "pilots". Especially since one of the most talked about mission profiles has them controlled from the air by Command and Control types of aircraft. Can you say Hummer?