• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When We Left Earth

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Watching it now, incredible footage. I would love to be a part of the space program someday.

edit: The formation with Gemini 6 & 7 was beautiful.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Glued to it now. I can't believe they got Neil Armstrong to go along with an interview.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I can't believe they got Neil Armstrong to go along with an interview.

Same.

Incredible. I love these new documentaries where we get to see what was really going on and the successes and failures they experienced; especially with first hand accounts. It is truly amazing.

It also makes you realize how little we have progressed (barring Burt Rutan and Scaled Composites with Space Ship One) in the realm of space exploration. Someone needs to harness the dream again.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I'm watching it now. I had no idea how much footage there was available of some of the early spacewalks.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
It's Discovery Channel for those looking for it. Damn you Time Warner for not carrying Discovery HD.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
... I love these new documentaries where we get to see what was really going on and the successes and failures they experienced...
You make a great point here. I was watching some awful crap on the Military channel extolling the virtuous of something when I realized that that entire channel is nothing but propaganda. When you actually know that we screwed the pooch a few times, it makes our success all the more impressive IMO.

B

Blutonski816

Always good stuff to watch... Had ,my DVR ready to record it for re-watching later...

So many of my childhood heroes interviewed there.

It's almost hard to believe that Carpenter and Glenn are the only ones left from the Mercury 7

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Watching the show has rekindled the dream again. I forgot how much I want to be an astronaut.

The pictures of the Earth from those altitudes are just breath-taking.

B

Blutonski816

The pictures of the Earth from those altitudes are just breath-taking.

Wait till they show the earth from a trans-lunar distance..

Me and my friends always say that every member of mankind would have a much greater appreciation for the world we live in if they could see their planet from a distance that they could cover with their hand...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
How cool would it be to be Scott Carpenter, return from space, be picked up by the helo, and have everyone shaking your hand on the carrier, and look up into the sky thinking that not too long ago, you were way up there. Unreal.

cisforsmasher

pilot
Gene Kranz is a pretty incredible guy as well. Some one somehow convinced him to come down to Krock for a speaking engagement just a few months ago. I just so happened to be in the ready room when he came in and got some one on one time with him before the show. The theme of his talk was "failure is not an option" and spoke at length about Apollo 13. He is still extraordinarily sharp, even with astrophysics.

All of these achievements are made even more spectacular by measuring the average age of the scientists and engineers working on these projects. As I recall, most guys in flight control were under 30.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Incredible. I love these new documentaries where we get to see what was really going on and the successes and failures they experienced; especially with first hand accounts. It is truly amazing.
I don't know. I wanted more info then we got. I know they have a lot of history to cover, but I was left craving for some details. The lack of detailed information about the loss of Liberty Bell 7 was glaring. I know that officially Grissom was not held accountable, but they haven't come up with the cause of the prematurely blown hatch either. It would have been nice to hear a few minutes about the subsequent investigations, theories and the inspection of the recovered spacecraft years later.