• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When We Left Earth

B

Blutonski816

Gene Kranz is a pretty incredible guy as well. Some one somehow convinced him to come down to Krock for a speaking engagement just a few months ago. I just so happened to be in the ready room when he came in and got some one on one time with him before the show. The theme of his talk was "failure is not an option" and spoke at length about Apollo 13. He is still extraordinarily sharp, even with astrophysics.

All of these achievements are made even more spectacular by measuring the average age of the scientists and engineers working on these projects. As I recall, most guys in flight control were under 30.

Kranz's flight director bubba, Glynn Luney was 28, when Chris Kraft gave him a Flight director position.

S65-19374.jpg

Lunney is at upper left with Kranz, Kraft and John Hodge.

B

Blutonski816

I don't know. I wanted more info then we got. I know they have a lot of history to cover, but I was left craving for some details. The lack of detailed information about the loss of Liberty Bell 7 was glaring. I know that officially Grissom was not held accountable, but they haven't come up with the cause of the prematurely blown hatch either. It would have been nice to hear a few minutes about the subsequent investigations, theories and the inspection of the recovered spacecraft years later.

It would probably be more fitting for a one-show special. I think the miniseries is focusing more on the program as it moved along. Details like that about Grissom's flight would proably have to let more about the other missions on like how Chis Kraft swore he'd never let Carpenter fly in space again, or how Shepard nearly got a Second Mercury flight when NASA brass (IIRC, it was Gilruth) was dissatisfied with Cooper's attitude in training.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
That was an amazing show last night. Wow just wow. Really takes some stones to be the first to strap yourself to that rocket.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Kranz's flight director bubba, Glynn Luney was 28, when Chris Kraft gave him a Flight director position.

S65-19374.jpg

Lunney is at upper left with Kranz, Kraft and John Hodge.

He had excellent taste in menswear, too - that's one bitchin' sportcoat! :)