• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Where do you live/keep your stuff... housing et al

So what's the deal with housing once you are in the Navy? Are you assigned to a 'home port' so to speak, where you can get an apartment and keep your stuff when you aren't on an aircraft carrier? can you get an apartment wherever you want, under the assumption you'll rarely see it? can you forgo all that and just life on a ship all the time?

how does that work?

Nose

pilot
Some of us even had cars and houses!

Yes, as an Officer, you can live anywhere you want. As an aviator, you won't be assigned to a ship, so if you want to live in Navy Housing, it is BOQ for you. Your squadron has spaces in a hangar onboard an NAS. You commute there for work and if you are not flying a normal day is 9-5. (Okay, 6-3 is prolly more like it). You will stand duty a few times a month, but other than that, your time off is your own. You can even make friends and do things like play sports, go to movies, and, if you are so inclined, go on dates.

I was stationed at NAS Norfolk, lived in Virginia Beach. Drove to work. My first ship was homeported in Florida. Only saw her when we were prepping for sea. Even if your ship is local, you don't really have a room on board unless the Air Wing (or at least you squadron) is getting ready to go on board. We were discouraged from leaving anything on board during in-port periods - too easy for someone to get into our stateroom and snick our stuff.

Maybe later in your career you can be lucky enough to be a shooter/TAO/ANAV and have your very own room (with a roommate or 3 or 5) on YOUR ship.

MasterBates

Here is my history of Navy Housing:

BDCP- Technically "in", but really just collecting a paycheck. Lived in my Fraternity House.
OCS- Its Temp Duty Under Instruction, and you live there.
API- Was on TAD Per Diem orders, lived in a hotel downtown. Most excellent.
Primary- Had an apartment off base on the beach
Helo Advanced- Lived in BOQ. They forced us to live there.
RAG- Lived in an apartment
Fleet Squadron- Lived in a house, until the Manatee decided she wanted it for herself.
Primary Part 2- Rented condo on the island in Corpus.
E2 Intermediate- Lived in the base RV Park at NAS Corpus, in my own RV
E2 Advanced- Currently living in the base RV Park at NAS Kingsville.

Other than the HT's (Helo Advanced) I have never been forced as an officer to live in base housing, be it the BOQ or Family Housing.

In fact, base housing has never been available to me. Family was full when I was married, and NASCC and NASK don't have BOQ's.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
E2 Intermediate- Lived in the base RV Park at NAS Corpus, in my own RV
E2 Advanced- Currently living in the base RV Park at NAS Kingsville.
Son (Skyhawk), just so we're clear - this is how NOT to earn max cool points as a Naval Aviator.

...again, just so we're clear.

Some of us even had cars and houses!

Yes, as an Officer, you can live anywhere you want. As an aviator, you won't be assigned to a ship, so if you want to live in Navy Housing, it is BOQ for you. Your squadron has spaces in a hangar onboard an NAS. You commute there for work and if you are not flying a normal day is 9-5. (Okay, 6-3 is prolly more like it). You will stand duty a few times a month, but other than that, your time off is your own. You can even make friends and do things like play sports, go to movies, and, if you are so inclined, go on dates.

I was stationed at NAS Norfolk, lived in Virginia Beach. Drove to work. My first ship was homeported in Florida. Only saw her when we were prepping for sea. Even if your ship is local, you don't really have a room on board unless the Air Wing (or at least you squadron) is getting ready to go on board. We were discouraged from leaving anything on board during in-port periods - too easy for someone to get into our stateroom and snick our stuff.

Maybe later in your career you can be lucky enough to be a shooter/TAO/ANAV and have your very own room (with a roommate or 3 or 5) on YOUR ship.

Wow. That's pretty interesting... and helpful. My Mom is freaking out because she thinks I'll live on a ship and never see her again, I'd like to give her a more accurate picture. How often out of the year are you "stationed" ? Like in the scenario above? What about "vacation time" so to speak, does that even exist... if so how much and how does that work?

What's it like when you are deployed to somewhere else, like the Fifth Fleet or something? Do you live on a ship then? Or are you buying local apartments or living in port?

How often are you at sea?

Nose

pilot
How often out of the year are you "stationed" ?
Ok, I'm sure this is somewhere else on this site, but for a navy guy here is a basic flow:

Finish flight school, get wings, report to FRS (aka "The RAG"). Learn to fly the aircraft you will fly in the Fleet. You are still a student, but a student with wings. Time 10-15 months depending on a/c type, weather, a/c availability (not usually very good at RAGs), CQ schedules, etc. During RAG, you will also go to SERE school, swim/phys training, and other assorted schools.

After RAG, you go to First Sea Tour. This is usually a 36-42 month tour with a deploying unit. If you are a hooker, you will be assigned to a squadron, which part of a Carrier Air Wing (aka CVW or CAG). In your 3-3 1/2 year sea tour, you will probably make 2 deployments (avg 6 months each) to various parts of the world, prior to the deployments, you will do "Workups" which begin 6-9 months before you deploy and involve 2-3 at sea periods and a 2 week air wing det to Fallon Nevada.

After your First Sea Tour, you will roll to shore duty this is three years stationed ashore. You will be a RAG or Flight School Instructor, or maybe a recruiter, or an OCS or USNA staff guy, some go to Post Grad school (I wouldn't, don't know anyone who has who has screened for command lately).

After shore duty, there are lots of options (this tour usually 2 years): Back to a squadron (good-flying and getting great leadership opportunities), ships company tour (Asst. Navigator, TAO, Asst. Strike ops or Air ops, Cat&Arresting gear (shooters).

Then, if you have done well, you will screen for Department head. Back to sea in a squadron, usually about 2 years. You will rotate through the squadron's departments as the guy responsible for (listed from least desirable to most IMO) Admin, Training, Safety, Ops, Maintenance.

Then back to shore duty. War college, RAG Department Head, Pentagon (youch!) PG School, etc etc.

If you did well in your DH tour, you might screen for command, you will be CO of a squadron. Most people desire to command squadrons for their type of a/c, but there are also Training Command and special mission squadrons that need COs. You will report as XO, spend about 18-24 months as XO then take command.

Post-command, depending on how you do as a CO you could be a RAG CO, TRAWING Commodore (in charge of all the squadrons at a base), Air Boss, Carrier Ops O, Carrier Strike group Staff guy, etc.

If you are REALLY Shit-hot as a CO, you may screen for "Nuc XO" and go to Nuc school to get checked out on a reactor - this is the path that leads to Carrier CO. The other (less painful) path for really shit hot guys is to screen for CAG.

This is a sample career path - it is very fluid, there is no "Set" path. Not too hard to stay in the cockpit for your fist 2-3 sets of orders.

What about "vacation time" so to speak, does that even exist... if so how much and how does that work?

You will earn 2 1/2 days of vacation per month. You can bank that vacation and take it at a time that is agreed upon by you and the squadron leadership. You can bank up to 60 days, after that (with a few exceptions) it becomes "Use it or lose it". Much easier to take vacation on shore duty than on sea duty.

What's it like when you are deployed to somewhere else, like the Fifth Fleet or something?

Fifth Fleet isn't a place, it is an AOR (Area of Responsibility). When you deploy on a carrier they have a plan for the deployment that includes fly days/port calls/transit days, etc. The morning you leave the pier on the first day of cruise, that plan is useless. You will go places depending on what is going on in the world. Unless we are at war you can expect some pretty good port calls in interesting places in the world. I was an East Coast guy my whole career, but here is a sample of places I had port calls/visited:

Ft. Lauderdale
Palma De Majorca, Spain
Cannes, France (3X)
Nice, France
Naples, IT (3-4 times)
Trieste, IT
Rome IT
Rhodes, Greece
Monaco
Haifa, Israel
Dubai UAE (3X)
Rio De Janeiro
Honolulu
Aruba
Panama
Curacao
El Salvador
Key West (37X):icon_smil
Anchorage

Do you live on a ship then? Or are you buying local apartments or living in port?

When deployed, you live on the ship. When you pull into port, your squadron usually gets an "Admin" at a hotel or a condo. You basically rent a room/suite/house/boat whatever, for the officers to hang out in while on liberty so you don't have to go "Back Sheep" to go to sleep.

THREAD IDEA: GREAT ADMINS AND ADMIN STORIES!

How often are you at sea?

It is usually either way too much or not nearly enough, depending on the situation.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ft. Lauderdale
Palma De Majorca, Spain
Cannes, France (3X)
Nice, France
Naples, IT (3-4 times)
Trieste, IT
Rome IT
Rhodes, Greece
Monaco
Haifa, Israel
Dubai UAE (3X)
Rio De Janeiro
Honolulu
Aruba
Panama
Curacao
El Salvador
Key West (37X):icon_smil
Anchorage

How was Haifa? I've always wanted to go to Israel in general, but I've heard Tel Aviv is awesome. Haven't heard much about Haifa...

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
For your Mom's sake:
Anywhere you are stationed, you will get money (BAH - Basic Allowance for Housing) for a place to live. While deployed, you will live on the boat, but your home is still that place back where you are stationed.

Being in the Navy does not mean you become some hermit - carrying everything you own in your seabag as you move from ship to ship.

MasterBates

Yeah.. Back in 02, the BOQ was at low capacity. If you showed up to the wing with lease in hand, you could get out, but those that showed up without a signed lease were told to live in the BOQ.

It was below XX% capacity IIRC.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why was that? Was it some scheme to save paying you guys BAH for a while?

It started back when I was finishing Primary in 2000. As MB said, it was to fill occupancy, which basically means it was a way for the base to keep getting money for its facility(s).

Nose

pilot
How was Haifa? I've always wanted to go to Israel in general, but I've heard Tel Aviv is awesome. Haven't heard much about Haifa...

We had a blast (poor choice of words?) in Haifa. Lots of fun, very nice people, great food, and hot chicks with Uzi's. We were very limited in where we could go. Tel Aviv was out. Jerusalem was right out. We did a tour to Dead Sea and Masada - very cool.

About a year after we were there, there was a homicide/suicide bombing. Bomb went off right near a spot where we were hanging out. Depressing.

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
We had a blast (poor choice of words?) in Haifa. Lots of fun, very nice people, great food, and hot chicks with Uzi's. We were very limited in where we could go. Tel Aviv was out. Jerusalem was right out. We did a tour to Dead Sea and Masada - very cool.

About a year after we were there, there was a homicide/suicide bombing. Bomb went off right near a spot where we were hanging out. Depressing.
Pulled in to Haifa in '03.

Had a reception in the hangar w/ Attache's and some local hottie daughters. There was a bombing earlier that day in Tel Aviv, though, so the mood was a little less than festive.

Beer on the pier.

A BBQ at the Attache's house for a select few.

All-hands party at a local bar chaperoned by NCIS; was SP for that - trying to load everyone back on the bus at 2300, just as the place starts to fill up w/ the hottest women you've ever seen. ("That's OK, (drunk) Chief, you get on the bus, we don't need any more 'help'".)

A wardroom H & F out at a place that bottled it's own wine - awesome.

Also got a chaperoned pre-screening of "The Two Towers" - try figuring out what elves are saying w/ subtitles in Hebrew.:D

Also had about a month and a half of "Slider Wednesday" w/ "Haifa burgers" - those were AWFUL!!!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU

I've stopped there too, while on my '06 Med cruise. Beautiful place but hotter than holy hell in the summer time (my ship was there in July). 5 weeks after my ship pulled out of port there was a series of mortar shelling incidents in the city. Like you said, depressing...