• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which service has best (and worst) Bachelor Quarters?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If only we could extract the best parts of each service and put them together.

THe Air Force funding (and chicks)

I'd have to add: Air Force BOQs=Lush Castles:tophat_12....Navy BOQs=E. LA Slums!:thumbdn_1
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clearly, you've never stayed in a USMC BOQ...

Au Contraire, Phroggie...many a Weps deployment in '60s & '70s at MCAS Yuma. BOQ was "Splinterville" then! Of course, may have been upgraded by now??:boggled_1
BzB

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The best part is that all this intra-service terminology banter also differs from what the FAA and ICAO are standard terms and phrases. I'm prepping to go get my ATP in a few months and the differences between the USAF's multi-engine takeoff and landing data terms/definitions and what the FAA/ICAO use make my skull hurt. Why can't we just all give up our empires and settle on common terms....argh.

Like some of you who have indicated that some of the terms are taught in the VT environment and never unlearned later, the USAF's UPT environment has a lot of terminology and radio comm that is unique to that environment which must also be unlearned when the fledglings leave the nest.

Did you do that on purpose making sure we are paying attention or by reflex?

P.S. Worst BOQ I ever stayed in was at Ft Lewis, a whole new level of suck. //End threadjack

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Au Contraire, Phroggie...many a Weps deployment in '60s & '70s at MCAS Yuma. BOQ was "Splinterville" then! Of course, may have been upgraded by now??:boggled_1
BzB

Upgrdaded?.....uh.....no. None. Nada.

Repaired with duct tape and a few layers of surplus paint? Yes.

We should find the guy in charge of that operation and beat the shit out of him.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(MCAS YUMA BOQ) Upgrdaded?.....uh.....no. None. Nada.
I spent two nights in the 'General's Suite' in '94 or '95, complements of my former classmate/outgoing Wing CO's retirement ceremony (Wing CO?? Is that the right term?) ... I thought the 'Suite' approximated a slightly below average college dorm room ... :)

Trophy Girl Friend ®
was NOT impressed and was only mollified by spending a week in the Hotel Del on the way back ...

MCAS YUMA: Stayed there a lot as a bachelor and as far as quarters went, I learned to eat shit & drink a lot at the Club ... but when 'accompanied', I shoulda' stayed in town ...

brownshoe

Contributor
Clearly, you've never stayed in a USMC BOQ...

Actually, you two, we enlisted guys from 44 and 174 loved going to Yuma (60's). The barracks were old Air Force barracks, very nice. Two men to a room with a connecting head between two rooms. We never had it so good! Plus, the chow was great.

Friday and Saturday nights they’d bus girls from town to the EM club. A friend of mine nicknamed them the “Yuma Yummies” and it stuck. Also don’t forget we had San Luis a short drive away.:) Old Derf, a member here on the forum, used to go there for bible study almost every evening while in Yuma. Here’s a picture of Derf with his teacher.:icon_wink

Steve

Attachments

• SanLuis.jpg
    SanLuis.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 104

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Also don’t forget we had San Luis a short drive away.:)
Steve

Thanks for that, Steve...you just rekindled several forty-five year old memories I've been trying to "delete" for a long, long time!!
icon12.gif

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
.... Also don’t forget we had San Luis a short drive away.:) Old Derf, a member here on the forum, used to go there for bible study almost every evening while in Yuma. Here’s a picture of Derf with his teacher.:icon_wink

Steve
Still training in the RAG but having orders to VF-151, I went to a Yuma Det. with them.

Whenever I hear, "Run for the border," I think of this:

Drinking and partying with my new prospective squadron-mates in San Luis for a good part of the night, one of our guys got into a fracas with a local. Somebody pulled a knife, and we all stampeded out the door, running for our lives with a hateful mob chasing us, all the way to the US border.

I briefly wondered about my Navy career choice. ;)

Back to the jacked thread:......​

The best was an accidently assigned General's VOQ room in San Antonio (Ft. Sam Houston IIRC). Many rooms, hand-rubbed antique furniture, and a massive rack! There was a log of distinguished visitors... of which I did not belong... but I slept well. ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Ya really. What kind of slackers do they put in that gig?

The kind who spend all day flying, lately.

Expect a new BOQ in the FY16/17 budget proposal. We shall see.

The "new gym" has been kicked from budget to budget since 1978, so use that as a benchmark for progress. A4s may have worked out in it the last time it got funding. As a midshipman.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The most courageous thing I have ever done as a Marine was eating tacos from some stand in San Luis at 3AM. (The night started with me getting bumped into on the dance floor, turning around, and seeing two dudes going at it with knives)

Oh yeah, AF lodging makes me irrationally angry. There is some enlisted Airmen sitting behind the desk whose entire job in the military is "hospitality," and the place is pimped out like the Hilton, meanwhile there are some Marines somewhere who are training to fire machine-guns with a Gunny sitting behind them yelling "butta-butta-jam" because they don't have enough funding to buy ammunition. Bogus.

magnetfreezer

The most courageous thing I have ever done as a Marine was eating tacos from some stand in San Luis at 3AM. (The night started with me getting bumped into on the dance floor, turning around, and seeing two dudes going at it with knives)

Oh yeah, AF lodging makes me irrationally angry. There is some enlisted Airmen sitting behind the desk whose entire job in the military is "hospitality," and the place is pimped out like the Hilton, meanwhile there are some Marines somewhere who are training to fire machine-guns with a Gunny sitting behind them yelling "butta-butta-jam" because they don't have enough funding to buy ammunition. Bogus.

Different pots of money unfortunately. Same reason squadrons buy and store office furniture at the end of the fiscal year but can't get aircraft parts. IIRC lodging/other MWR activities are supposed to be self supporting (non-appropriated vs. appropriated funds).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Different pots of money unfortunately. Same reason squadrons buy and store office furniture at the end of the fiscal year but can't get aircraft parts. IIRC lodging/other MWR activities are supposed to be self supporting (non-appropriated vs. appropriated funds).

They are, but from what I saw as a NAF employee, our money that we made went into a big pot and we were given a budget. It didn't matter how much we pulled in, we still had the same operating budget to work with.

I get irrationally angry when I see how big the MWR offices are, and how much money they rake in as admin level and leave the "lower" customer service level with a shoe string. There are only so many times you can fix something with duct tape. "Sorry, you can't have any more money to fix broke dick equipment that nobody in their right mind would want to use, but I'll keep my $70K job a year."