• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which service has best (and worst) Bachelor Quarters?

Clux4

Banned
Personally, I don't think funding is always the issue. MAINTENANCE is the word I am looking for. For some reason, we(USMC) do not have a good maintenance culture. Even if we built an hotel style barracks, our Marines will tear it down because they live like animals. The facility managers are just not capable as they should be. I was the OOD recently and I toured a less than 10 year old barracks here on Quantico and the place was already falling apart. The hall way was smelling like a$$. Thursday evening clean up is just okay. I think the barracks should be privatized like base housing. Base housing(USMC) only got better when they went privatized.

We also don't award MILCON contracts to reliable contractors. The building I work in was built about 12 years ago and it has already had 2 roof replacements. The building leaks when it rains around here. A few other issues around from what I can observe. I can only imagine the other issues the building manager is grappling with. The interior of the building is already looking rundown. The carpets have not been changed in years, so they look like crap.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
AFAIK, the splinters in the Yuma BOQ (hands down the worst I've ever been in), are still there and likely the same furniture from the 70's. Oh, and BzB, that pillow that you shoved into the air duct to keep the freezing cold air from blowing on you in the middle of Feb in 1965 is still there today.

Last time I stayed there it was $15 a night, there was no remote control for the TV (exchange keeps a lot of universals in stock), the drawers fell out of the dresser because the sliders were worn out, and the washing machines and driers were all inop. I filled out a comment card and told them that if they raised the prices like $2 per night, they could afford to buy a DVD player with remote for every room and a couple new washers and driers after just 1 WTI class.

The condition of that Q ought to be criminal negligence.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh yeah, AF lodging makes me irrationally angry. There is some enlisted Airmen sitting behind the desk whose entire job in the military is "hospitality," and the place is pimped out like the Hilton, meanwhile there are some Marines somewhere who are training to fire machine-guns with a Gunny sitting behind them yelling "butta-butta-jam" because they don't have enough funding to buy ammunition. Bogus.

After seeing how fast and loose the Marines were with money in Iwakuni I lost almost all of my sympathy for their complaints about funding. What the Marine leadership was doing with money that was owed their Marines was far into the gray area and was frankly, to use your term, bogus. Don't hate the Air Force for placing the comfort and care of their personnel higher than your own service, maybe you should be asking why your own service doesn't do the same. The same goes for the Navy too sometimes. And yes, I know, the Marines cost the least of all the services (it helps when you don't pay for your own ships, docs, much of the training facilities, etc.) but after seeing funding shennanigans with my own eyes I would argue a lot of the pain is self-inflicted.

Clux4

Banned
After seeing how fast and loose the Marines were with money in Iwakuni I lost almost all of my sympathy for their complaints about funding. What the Marine leadership was doing with money that was owed their Marines was far into the gray area and was frankly, to use your term, bogus. Don't hate the Air Force for placing the comfort and care of their personnel higher than your own service, maybe you should be asking why your own service doesn't do the same. The same goes for the Navy too sometimes. And yes, I know, the Marines cost the least of all the services (it helps when you don't pay for your own ships, docs, much of the training facilities, etc.) but after seeing funding shennanigans with my own eyes I would argue a lot of the pain is self-inflicted.

Looks like we got a little bit of issue managing the purse don't we?

We win wars and can accomplish the mission; everything else is........