• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

parin365

SWO Applicant
To add to what @FormerRecruitingGuru has said when you look at all of the designators some require tech degrees, some prefer tech degrees (but rarely pick non-tech), others prefer tech degrees (but really don't care), and others don't say either way.

Then to add another variable some designators will go for a person higher GPA with non tech compared to a person with a lower GPA with tech.

When it comes to SWO it really doesn't matter, and if that is the only one you applied for then if you have a good GPA you should be in good shape no matter if you have a tech or non tech degree.
Thanks for the information, both you and @FormerRecruitingGuru. In regards to GPA, mine is pretty bad. However, everything else in my package well made up for it (aerospace engineering degree, 5 work experiences, 4 LoRs from high-ranking school/military figures, OAR, etc). With SWO right now being well in demand, is the board more lenient about everything not being perfect?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the information, both you and @FormerRecruitingGuru. In regards to GPA, mine is pretty bad. However, everything else in my package well made up for it (aerospace engineering degree, 5 work experiences, 4 LoRs from high-ranking school/military figures, OAR, etc). With SWO right now being well in demand, is the board more lenient about everything not being perfect?
A bad GPA can't really be overcome by all the things you listed, but if it isn't too bad you are probably going to be ok given the high selection rate from the last 2 boards, if it continues.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

A good OAR score can help overcome a low GPA. Everything else you’ve mentioned will offer very little to nothing in terms of boosting selection odds.

parin365

SWO Applicant
A good OAR score can help overcome a low GPA. Everything else you’ve mentioned will offer very little to nothing in terms of boosting selection odds.
Very interesting...so then why was I told that I need multiple documents, listing everything (personal statement, LoRs, etc) I want the board to know about if all that mattered was OAR and/or GPA?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Very interesting...so then why was I told that I need multiple documents, listing everything (personal statement, LoRs, etc) I want the board to know about if all that mattered was OAR and/or GPA?

Some of those items are required in order to apply for OCS programs, regardless of the program.

There are also some recruiters who aren’t familiar or aware of the actual process. Many are taught from the recruiting school house that LORs, extracurriculars, motivational statement, etc. can impact OCS board selection - as if someone was applying for college. While I do agree that that sort of stuff matters for more competitive programs, programs like aviation and SWO rely on ASTB/OAR and GPA (a bigger weight for SWO).

I used to feel the same way when I started recruiting: Get LORs, make your motivational statement the next Gettysburg address, etc. for SWO and aviation. It took seeing the board process and realizing I was neglecting the key metrics of the board process. I felt like Buzz Lightgear during Toy Story when I truly learned the process.

Don’t take it from me, check out the previous SWO boards - particularly where successful applicants post stats.

Last edited:
Hello all I also applied for this board long time lurker just the anticipation of waiting is getting to me I’m embarrassed of my stats mainly OAR

I’m 20
Degree BS in Psychological Science
OAR 42
GPA. 3.65
LORs 03 army ,and previous bosses that I held management positions at

Manager for 3 years for a restaurant, trainer and head of night operations for PepsiCo in my area for a year. Competed in robotics and held an officer position for 4 years in high school and 2 years in college competing at the national level. I am also doing research for a year for a MA but dropping it if I get accepted.

derludwig

Hello all. Another long-time lurker here making himself known.

Degrees: BS Criminal Justice, MS Criminal Justice, currently doing coursework in Terrorism Studies.
OAR: 46
GPA: 3.89 cumulative undergrad, 3.85 on the Masters, 4.0 in my current program.
LoRs: 1 from a retired Army O6 turned academia bigwig.

Not a whole lot in the way of work experience. I worked for a year as a Research Assistant at the university, was the Bookkeeper for my church for a few years. Also a few years of volunteer experience for the same church.

Miscellaneous stuff: Speak some Russian and I'm set to have some research published this December. Although it sounds like this is mostly an OAR/GPA game.

PepperPerry

Current Teacher, Aspiring SWO
Is this the board that had its deadline for submission moved back to August like 10th?

If so, when does it convene now?

parin365

SWO Applicant
This is false we won’t know till after the board the average I’ve seen from the last boards was around a week and a half to two weeks. But could be longer though that’s what my OR said
Does timing also depend on the needs of each community? Like Intel (super competitive) v. SWO (not so much)

Does timing also depend on the needs of each community? Like Intel (super competitive) v. SWO (not so much)
I would think so since they probably have less spots in intel.So it would take longer to find out which are the best candidates and probably spend more time reviewing each application