• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
Does anyone know how to configure the joystick? I have a MacBook Pro. Everytime I plug my joystick in it doesn’t pick it up.
MacBooks don’t support the drivers needed for most, if not all joysticks. You’ll need something that runs windows, or maybe even try running windows on your macbook

Rellio

Hey all, question for those who have already taken the ASTB. I am practicing the PBM portion via the Jantzen simulator and I'm unsure if I have my throttle set up correctly. On the actual ASTB, does the throttle target follow the forward and back movements of the throttle exactly? Or does it have a deadzone in the center of the throttle and behave similarly to up and down arrow keys when forward or aft of that deadzone?

II Sevv

Hey all, question for those who have already taken the ASTB. I am practicing the PBM portion via the Jantzen simulator and I'm unsure if I have my throttle set up correctly. On the actual ASTB, does the throttle target follow the forward and back movements of the throttle exactly? Or does it have a deadzone in the center of the throttle and behave similarly to up and down arrow keys when forward or aft of that deadzone?
When I took the ASTBE the throttle and joystick were both unpredictable. They had a dead spot on center and the throttle especially had an issue where you couldn’t linearly follow the target; instead I ended up focusing on the joystick and using my peripheral vision I was oscillating the throttle back and forth keeping it as close as possible. If I tried to keep it directly on target I ended up overshooting it based on how the throttle reacted. I scored a 9 on that section so I guess that technique worked…

ADP

I just took my OAR today and scored 58 6/5/6. I didn't have any flight experience and didn't study for the test at all. Being an NFO is very interesting to me, but I don't know if I could improve my score enough to be a competitive candidate (recruiter told me 7/7/7 would make me competitive, 8/8/8 would make me a relatively safe pick). Is there a way to improve your score on the ASTB section? The part of it that involves using actual flight controls doesn't really seem trainable, but could I do enough outside of that to safely get to 8/8/8?
I just retook today, I scored 62 7/7/7. Even with a 3.7 GPA my recruiter sounded a bit pesimistic. Either way, I hit my goal score and I'm happy about that, if things don't turn out I'll make other plans.

I didn't do anything exceptional with studying. Kyle's gouge, the Jantzen sim, the UAV flashcards, just the normal stuff.

For NFOs specifically, does anyone know what kind of odds 7/7/7 has right now?

csanfilippo9

I just retook today, I scored 62 7/7/7. Even with a 3.7 GPA my recruiter sounded a bit pesimistic. Either way, I hit my goal score and I'm happy about that, if things don't turn out I'll make other plans.

I didn't do anything exceptional with studying. Kyle's gouge, the Jantzen sim, the UAV flashcards, just the normal stuff.

That GPA and score is not something to be pessimistic about , don’t know what his deal is . I think you have a solid shot.

csanfilippo9

I might have come off wrong, he said my odds are "a coinflip", so it depends on what you consider pessimistic
There’s lots of determining factors I mean that’s a competitive score I’d apply to a board with it , if you get pro rec N retake the test

Mouselovr

Contributor

Kick ass scores. Kick ass GPA.
You did better than me and a lot of my peers who got picked up for pilot.
Worst case scenario, you retake.

I found recruiters simply dont want to promise anything bc you getting PROREC Y or N is out of their control once its in front of a board.

lhodges

Send me your email and I’ll send you a whole folder of study materials. I can’t speak to the navy side as I am going marines but I know for a fact my OSO has given out age waivers for air contracts. I also know that on the marine side GPA doesn’t seem to be very important as I know student aviators as well as current pilots who had low 3 GPA’s in non-technical degrees.
Would you send me the study materials?

Mod edit: Recommend using PMs to exchange personal email addresses

Last edited by a moderator:

Sauceboss313

ProRec-Y SNA Aug 13th 2023
First post here on AW. Hey all. I'm taking the ASTB tomorrow for the second time. Will post the results the following day. My first score was a 56 6/5/6 which was taken last year. Got a question about the emergency procedures. Specifically, do the indicators for fuel and power in the bottom-right corner move directly with the knob input to visually tell you your current position? I linked the image for better clarity

Attachments

• EPimage.PNG
    EPimage.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 66

II Sevv

First post here on AW. Hey all. I'm taking the ASTB tomorrow for the second time. Will post the results the following day. My first score was a 56 6/5/6 which was taken last year. Got a question about the emergency procedures. Specifically, do the indicators for fuel and power in the bottom-right corner move directly with the knob input to visually tell you your current position? I linked the image for better clarity
Yes, they move on screen accordingly, but on my setup my recruiter didn’t give me dials. I had 3 up/down sliders like a dimmer switch. Also, contrary to what others have mentioned, when I took the test it DID NOT matter what position the switch was in when the emergency procedure initiated, as long as the sliders were in the correct position when I pressed the clutch button. In other words, let’s say it wanted the fuel to be completely off, if the fuel was already off it registered that position. Others have said that even if their sliders were in the correct position, that they needed to move them to neutral then to the correct position to get credit. That didn’t happen to me.