• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

k2fourever

Took Form 3 via computer today (going for Reserve Intel):

64 8/8/9

Some advice:

1. Do NOT buy the Barron's book. It is full of errors, and there is plenty of free gouge on the internet - see the posts immediately above this.

2. Spend some time studying various flight rules - squawk codes, tower light signals, overtaking aircraft, etc. - and types of things encountered flying - clouds, turbulence, etc. I haven't flown is about 7 years, and was rusty on some of the things I should've known.

3. Simple machine questions (gears, pulleys, etc.) were not too bad, although the electrical questions were tougher than I imagined. Study the relationship between Ohms, Voltage, and Amperage.

4. I managed to finish in about an hour and a half. If you are strong in a given section for whatever reason, don't be afraid to end the section with time left on the clock.

Above all, get a good nights sleep, and don't psych yourself out. Really, it is just a test. And you can take another crack or two at it, so...no pressure.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
squarebullet said:
What kinds of problems appeared frequently on the exams and what kinds of problems did you come across that you think I won't be able to do?

Check your PM.

nathano7

Just scheduled my exam date, next Tuesday, September 8th @ 900. If anyone has any last minute advice/information I would greatly appreciate it, otherwise hopefully I'll have some high marks to post!

Thanks for all the help. The Gouge has been great.

CUPike11

None
Contributor
Just scheduled my exam date, next Tuesday, September 8th @ 900. If anyone has any last minute advice/information I would greatly appreciate it, otherwise hopefully I'll have some high marks to post!

Thanks for all the help. The Gouge has been great.

*Eat a decent breakfast that morning.

*Don't drink too much liquid, however you'll get a break in between the OAR section before starting Aviation/Nautical, if you're taking that part.

*Be mindful of the time, but don't let it throw you off-track.

*Relax.

*Be confident. If you've prepared up to this point, then you've done all you can do.

*Don't start wondering what your score is or how you're doing in the middle of the test. Focus and get through it.

That's all I got. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

nathano7

"Took Form 3 via computer today (going for Reserve Intel):

64 8/8/9

Some advice:

1. Do NOT buy the Barron's book. It is full of errors, and there is plenty of free gouge on the internet - see the posts immediately above this.

2. Spend some time studying various flight rules - squawk codes, tower light signals, overtaking aircraft, etc. - and types of things encountered flying - clouds, turbulence, etc. I haven't flown is about 7 years, and was rusty on some of the things I should've known.

3. Simple machine questions (gears, pulleys, etc.) were not too bad, although the electrical questions were tougher than I imagined. Study the relationship between Ohms, Voltage, and Amperage.

4. I managed to finish in about an hour and a half. If you are strong in a given section for whatever reason, don't be afraid to end the section with time left on the clock.

Above all, get a good nights sleep, and don't psych yourself out. Really, it is just a test. And you can take another crack or two at it, so...no pressure."

did you study for a while? You said you have had some flight experience, did that help or did you have to review material?

nathano7

*Eat a decent breakfast that morning.

*Don't drink too much liquid, however you'll get a break in between the OAR section before starting Aviation/Nautical, if you're taking that part.

*Be mindful of the time, but don't let it throw you off-track.

*Relax.

*Be confident. If you've prepared up to this point, then you've done all you can do.

*Don't start wondering what your score is or how you're doing in the middle of the test. Focus and get through it.

That's all I got. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)
Thanks!

k2fourever

did you study for a while? You said you have had some flight experience, did that help or did you have to review material?

Mostly tried to review mechanical gouge (just refresh basics - Mech. Adv., circuits, etc.) and some of the general Aviation and Nautical stuff (location of running lights, parts of ships, etc.). Didn't study a ton, took the 2 sample ASTBs in the Barron's book and the sample ASTB I found posted online somewhere (maybe navy-officer.com).

Flight experience definitely helped, but I'm so far from being current it was just a solid base that I refreshed by looking at info. Once I looked it over again, it all came back to me pretty quickly.

bob88899

Well just took my astb... got a 6/7/6 51.. Are these respectable? or should i retake? I studied the arco book, the marine gouge and the ASTB personal notes that were poseted here(which really helped!) for about a week straight before the test. So far appying NFO/Intel/SWO.. most of my package is done just need to wrangle in some LOR.

The most confusing part was the spacial appreciation part of the test. I have flown before and looked at all the test prep stuff in the ARCO guide but some of the pictures are flat out confusing (mostly the diagonal flight ones that were not present in the arco book). Not to say it wasnt difficult.. it just caught me off guard.

BigL17

Stay calm a read each question carefully, especially in the reading comprehension portion. If your getting bogged down by a question simply move on the next one and come back to the aforementioned question later.

Most importantly get a good nights sleep. I had to take my ASTB after a long long day at MEPS...which was not fun.

You should do well. Good luck

nathano7

I just finished taking the exam version 3.... I scored 6/6/6 52. Any thoughts on these scores? The Recruiter said they were very good/competitive. What are your thoughts? I'm shooting for Flight Officer

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I just finished taking the exam version 3.... I scored 6/6/6 52. Any thoughts on these scores? The Recruiter said they were very good/competitive. What are your thoughts? I'm shooting for Flight Officer
Those are solid scores. As others on here will tell you, it is all about the whole person when applying. Assuming you have a well rounded application in other areas, this astb score will be just fine. Good luck on your app.

ClutchS306

:confused: Guys just got done taking the awesome ASTB! I got a 5/5/6 53. I?m more curious on what I should apply for then what that means. Apparently it's good not exceptional and it's competitive. I was thinking SWO, but don't really know what else are options. My major in college was Criminal Justice and minored in Mathematics. What other programs should I apply for commission into?

nathano7

Those are solid scores. As others on here will tell you, it is all about the whole person when applying. Assuming you have a well rounded application in other areas, this astb score will be just fine. Good luck on your app.

Great! thank you. I def understand.... now I have to get working on the App.

CUPike11

None
Contributor
:confused: Guys just got done taking the awesome ASTB! I got a 5/5/6 53. I?m more curious on what I should apply for then what that means. Apparently it's good not exceptional and it's competitive. I was thinking SWO, but don't really know what else are options. My major in college was Criminal Justice and minored in Mathematics. What other programs should I apply for commission into?

Asking us what YOU should apply for won't do YOU any good. You're going to be the one doing the job as an Officer and you have to be happy with that.

If you're just starting the process, go and talk to an OR or if you have one, go talk to him or her and ask them for a detailed breakdown of each position and job. Each designator meets during different parts of the year. Some monthly, some only twice a year....it all depends.

Your score is fine, as you said, its not exceptional but competitive. They look at E V E R Y T H I N G aka the whole person.

The real question though is, what are you interested in doing? Go here to get a brief description about each designator. Keep in mind there are diff. requirements for each, so that is where your OR will come in handy.

http://www.navy.com/officer

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.