• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BullGator

I took the ASTB today, did average. Going to take it again. I need more practice tests, I have gone over most of Barron's. Any advice for great practice materials??
Try Google search for Arco's book. I got it for free online and printed out the practice tests. Also the Marine gouge was excellent. If you search this forum enough you will get plenty of help. And if you can't find the Arco book they do offer it on the Marine ASTB site, but I think you need to register or take some extra step (It's been a year for me). You have a month plus, just keep looking for the next week or so for new material and then buckle down and study that material and the Barron's every break you can for the next 3 plus weeks.

There is also a member here called Awolfinwater (If not it is something close to that user name) that has a great website for extra gouge on math, aviation, ect...

Is there a particular section you need help finding stuff on? I.e. Aviation, math, ect. And my bad on the scatter brain post, but you probably get the idea.

bhard11

Thanks for one! Yeah totally, my main fall was the math. I did good on the Aviation and Nautical, but the Spacial looked different than the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests. I really need to know as much info possible. Any extra guides would be fantastic.

Thanks Again Bull Gator, btw Go Gators!

bhard11

Hey everyone, one question. I'm good at math, but not when all types of math is combined. My biggest trouble on the ASTB was the word problems and almost ran out of time. I have bought a SAT math book and ACT math practices. Is there any other materials besides those and the Military Flight Aptitude Tests, ARCO Officer Candidate Tests and Mechanical Aptitude and Spatial Relations books? Those are the material i have plus navy-officer.com site and the ASTB/Marine Gouge. Please any other materials would be good. Thanks and God Bless

Kdsmith120

Math word problems were also my weak point while studying for the astb, I would go up to Barnes and Noble each day I was studying and pick up a different math word problems book(just study it there, no need to buy it). The only way to get any better at those types of problems is to keep practicing.

bhard11

Yeah practice makes perfect. I'll take that into consideration and add that to my studying routine. Thanks Kdsmith120

gpcbsbll2

Hey everyone. I am going to be taking the ASTB in a couple of months now and I am having trouble finding resources for nautical information. Does anyone know where I can find some good study materials for nautical information?

kidday03

I know some people have been having questions on the math word problems. The book I use is "How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra". Authors: Mildred Johnson and Tim Johnson. ISBN # 0-07-134307-5. I am unsure how much it costs, my husband already had all the study material from when he studied for the ASTB. This book breaks each kind of word problems into chapters. Within each chapter it is broken down barney style how to set up the problems and solve them.

Here are some examples:

Time, Rate, and Distance

Two planes leave New York at 10am, one headed for Europe at 600mph and one heading in th opposite direction at 150mph. At what time will they be 900 miles apart?

Abigail is 6 years older than Jonathan. Six years ago she was twice as old as him. How old is each now?

Work

Bob can dig a ditch in 4 hours. John can dig the same ditch in 3 hours. How long would it take them to dig it together?

These are just a few, but I definitely recommend this book. I am horrible at math and had no idea how to set up these problems or attempt to figure them out, now I do.

HTH someone

kidday03

A couple questions about the math section on the ASTB. I have the Barron's book, Marine Gouge, etc. None of these have quadratic equations in them and I was wondering if anyone has encountered them on the test? Also is there a lot of factoring questions? I am horrible at math so want to focus my attention on things that I know are going to be on the test. Thanks in advance!

bhard11

I took the ASTB last friday and didn't recall any quadratic questions. Know basic algebra mainly. The biggest thing tho we you study is to develop a quick pace. I almost ran out of time. The math section was the only section I barely had any time left to check. The Barron's and Gouge is what you will see, but practice practice like I am doing. Good luck and God Bless kidday03.

kidday03

I took the ASTB last friday and didn't recall any quadratic questions. Know basic algebra mainly. The biggest thing tho we you study is to develop a quick pace. I almost ran out of time. The math section was the only section I barely had any time left to check. The Barron's and Gouge is what you will see, but practice practice like I am doing. Good luck and God Bless kidday03.

Thanks for the insight. I am really nervous about the test, especially the time issue. First of all, I am horrible at standardized tests and also math. I have been studying math several hours a day. A lot of this stuff is new to me so self-teaching math seems quite difficult. I think I am getting the problems down, the speed is what I need to work on. Ahhhh :eek: So overwhelming. I'm gonna hope for the best, i'll post my scores once I take it. Thanks for the pointers.

das

Contributor
The thing to remember about the ASTB is that that verbal, reading, math, mechanical, spatial, etc., portions of the test are largely aptitude tests, in that they are testing for thing you are naturally or innately good at. The aviation and nautical portions are the parts you can actually study for, and which contain facts and trivia.

That is not to say you can't "study" to brush up on things like word problems, fractions, or division. You're not going to have things like quadratic equations and calculus on this test. It is very basic word problems and basic algebra. The practice tests that have been discussed ad nauseum in this thread are very representative of the current test (sure, some are "harder" or "easier", but a lot of it is subjective, and they are very good representations).

The main thing here is to take all of the practice tests you can get your hands on. Take the entire Marine Gouge practice test, and all of the tests in either or both of the Barron's and Arco study guides. Make sure you time your practice tests! This will give you a good feel for how the tests really are.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you are time-limited and restricted from having a calculator for a reason: it is testing to see how well you can quickly come to the best answer (hopefully the correct answer) for a problem. I started out trying to perfectly solve every math problem down to the decimal or exact fraction, and continually found that I was hopelessly out of time on the math section. Then I realized that most of the time, there aren't several answers that are very close; i.e., if you understand the technique for solving a problem, you just have to get to which one is closest, and not worry about having the exact answer. Another tip is to go through the entire math section, answer everything you can answer quickly, and then go back and work on the rest of the problems. Don't spend too much time on any one problem! At the very end of any section you didn't have time to finish, randomly answer any questions that are left: you are not penalized for wrong answers and guessing.

Some folks are going to be naturally better at math, spatial apperception, etc.: practice those parts as much as you can, and study for the aviation and nautical sections. Those are, as they say, a "mile wide and an inch deep", meaning the subject areas they cover are very broad, but not very detailed.

kidday03

Thanks! That's great advice. I find myself doing the same thing (trying to find the exact answer), then when I look at the options, it is obvious that I could have gotten the answer before completely solving the equation.

I am only taking the OAR so I only have three sections to study, but still am having a hard time with it. I have 2 1/2 weeks so i'll hopefully be where I need to be by then.

I appreciate all the advice, tips, etc.

kd5pbo

If you're finding yourself running out of time, try working the problems backwards starting with the answers. There were some with four answers that all looked possible at first glance, but some problems only required the right order of magnitude.

Haymaker

Pro Rec SNA
I just wanted to stop by and thank everyone that contributes to Airwarriors for all of the great information provided here. This website is an invaluable resource for wannabe Naval Officers. I took my ASTB this morning.

9/9/8/59

I was a bit dissapointed with my OAR but overall I am pretty happy with my results. I am thoroughly convinced that, without the information provided here, I would not have scored as high. So once again, thanks for the service that y'all provide to us hopefuls out there.