• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

skb832

Here's a little pro tip I got from page 475:

Basically, you don't lose points for not keeping the gauges in neutral (unless I completely missed that in the instructions) and the order of the procedures also never changes. This means that you can have your knobs pre-set for the emergency so you'll only have to press the clutch when that light comes up.

The caveat to this is that you'll still have to know how to change the knobs prior to each procedure while flying. That being said, I'd like to think that you should be able to take advantage of this to get a higher score.

Also, poking a pencil through the center of your compass rose and rotating it with that is an elite tip for the UAV portion. Much easier than using your hand to do rotate it.
I can't remember exactly how the emergency procedures worked the first time i did the test. Can you explain how that section works and this "caveat" in more detail?

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
I can't remember exactly how the emergency procedures worked the first time i did the test. Can you explain how that section works and this "caveat" in more detail?

Before that part of the test starts, you're given the directions to deal with three (3) emergencies you'll encounter. You'll want to write these down so you can refer to them during the test. The directions will tell you which knobs to turn on your stick and throttle and which way to turn them. All three procedures end with you pressing the clutch button.

While flying, you'll have to deal with each of the three emergencies as they occur. To do this, you'll refer back to the directions and make the appropriate adjustments to the knobs to fix the problem. The faster you deal with the emergencies, the higher you score. You don't get points for fixing the wrong emergency and it also won't tell you if you did it wrong, so make sure you follow the directions correctly.

Pre-setting the knobs makes it so that you only have to press the clutch button when the emergency light comes up since the procedures are presented in the order they're given in the instructions (if I remember correctly). The "caveat" is that you'll still have to make sure your knobs are set to the right position for the right procedure while still tracking the two targets on the screen.

WhiteLotus5125

the procedures are presented in the order they're given in the instructions
Are they really? Mine seemed random.

It's also good to note that you don't get a practice session before the emergency procedures like you do for other sections of the PBM. The entire time I was on emergency procedures, I was under the impression that I was only doing a practice run, and then once I was done... the test just ended lol. Just glad that I actually did it quickly and smoothly.

skb832

Before that part of the test starts, you're given the directions to deal with three (3) emergencies you'll encounter. You'll want to write these down so you can refer to them during the test. The directions will tell you which knobs to turn on your stick and throttle and which way to turn them. All three procedures end with you pressing the clutch button.

While flying, you'll have to deal with each of the three emergencies as they occur. To do this, you'll refer back to the directions and make the appropriate adjustments to the knobs to fix the problem. The faster you deal with the emergencies, the higher you score. You don't get points for fixing the wrong emergency and it also won't tell you if you did it wrong, so make sure you follow the directions correctly.

Pre-setting the knobs makes it so that you only have to press the clutch button when the emergency light comes up since the procedures are presented in the order they're given in the instructions (if I remember correctly). The "caveat" is that you'll still have to make sure your knobs are set to the right position for the right procedure while still tracking the two targets on the screen.
So this only works if the procedures show up in the order that they’re given in the instructions, right? Are you sure the first one shown in the instructions is the one that will show up first in the test?

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
Are they really? Mine seemed random.
So this only works if the procedures show up in the order that they’re given in the instructions, right? Are you sure the first one shown in the instructions is the one that will show up first in the test?

After taking it three times, I'm about 99.999% sure the procedures are given in the order they're shown in the instructions.

If they're not, then you can at least pre-set the knobs for the last procedure since each one is given once and you'll know which one hasn't been done yet at that point.

Someone sent me this drawing of the PBM setup with the emergency buttons and I'm positive that I had the same order: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACJt4IdCkPjU2lkCQMdb8AJX_MzsS_nN/view

Edit: if your emergency order was not the same as the one in the picture, please feel free to correct me

Last edited:

skb832

Awesome, thank a lot!

Are the only knobs that you're having to mess with on the throttle? Or do you have to change something on the joystick as well?

WhiteLotus5125

Are the only knobs that you're having to mess with on the throttle? Or do you have to change something on the joystick as well?
Emergency procedures are all on the throttle. The clutch button and two knobs for fuel and power. There's a trigger on the stick, but I believe that's only used for dichotic listening.

jhardy98

I took the OAR/ASTB this morning. From about 10:15AM-1:00PM. Only took me around 2.5 or so hours to complete. It was honestly not bad at all I was totally freaking out before taking it but it was actually much more simple than I had imagined. I took it in some storage closet at the officer recruiting office lol. The toughest part was 100% the sim portion. The black background totally threw me off as I’m used to seeing a moving landscape when moving the stick, so having a solid black background paired with the inverted stick was mind boggling lol…

I have a fresh mind of how it was if anyone has questions. My recruiter told me that the next boards is September and that if I were to get selected I would not be going to OCS until atleast October of 2023, as she has a SNA selectee and they are pushed back into the October 2023 OCS class. She did mention if I were to choose NFO I could leave as soon as a few months for OCS. But I’m not totally sure if any of that is true… With that being said, I would definitely like to retest since I scored 50; 6,5,6 on my first attempt. I didn’t study too drastically. The recruiter told me because I have a BS in Finance with a 3.7GPA, an MBA with a 3.6GPA, letter of recommendation from Michigan State Senator and Brigadier General, volunteer hours and some other stuff, that I have a good chance to be selected, however I personally don’t think so knowing that so many individuals are scoring much higher. She did mention that “you would be surprised at how many get selected with lower scores” and that “you just have to get a passing score to qualify in order to be considered since they consider the entire package of your application.” Although again I know my score is pretty low and personally don’t think I will get selected in the September boards for SNA.

Another note. She told me that you no longer need references/letter of recommendation as of a month ago, but I had asked her to find out if I can use them anyway since I have very strong LORs and I wanna use everything I can to help my application.

Definitely study exponents. Literally last night I googled “SAT exponent problems” and found a website with pages and pages of different math problems that use exponents and they show the work to get the answer for every type of exponent problem. It was very useful and I 100% recommended following what I did here, you will thank me!

I’ll post more to it and if anyone has questions ask away!

exNavyOffRec

I took the OAR/ASTB this morning. From about 10:15AM-1:00PM. Only took me around 2.5 or so hours to complete. It was honestly not bad at all I was totally freaking out before taking it but it was actually much more simple than I had imagined. I took it in some storage closet at the officer recruiting office lol. The toughest part was 100% the sim portion. The black background totally threw me off as I’m used to seeing a moving landscape when moving the stick, so having a solid black background paired with the inverted stick was mind boggling lol…

I have a fresh mind of how it was if anyone has questions. My recruiter told me that the next boards is September and that if I were to get selected I would not be going to OCS until atleast October of 2023, as she has a SNA selectee and they are pushed back into the October 2023 OCS class. She did mention if I were to choose NFO I could leave as soon as a few months for OCS. But I’m not totally sure if any of that is true… With that being said, I would definitely like to retest since I scored 50; 6,5,6 on my first attempt. I didn’t study too drastically. The recruiter told me because I have a BS in Finance with a 3.7GPA, an MBA with a 3.6GPA, letter of recommendation from Michigan State Senator and Brigadier General, volunteer hours and some other stuff, that I have a good chance to be selected, however I personally don’t think so knowing that so many individuals are scoring much higher. She did mention that “you would be surprised at how many get selected with lower scores” and that “you just have to get a passing score to qualify in order to be considered since they consider the entire package of your application.” Although again I know my score is pretty low and personally don’t think I will get selected in the September boards for SNA.

Another note. She told me that you no longer need references/letter of recommendation as of a month ago, but I had asked her to find out if I can use them anyway since I have very strong LORs and I wanna use everything I can to help my application.

Definitely study exponents. Literally last night I googled “SAT exponent problems” and found a website with pages and pages of different math problems that use exponents and they show the work to get the answer for every type of exponent problem. It was very useful and I 100% recommended following what I did here, you will thank me!

I’ll post more to it and if anyone has questions ask away!
LOR's haven't actually been needed for many years and the most important thing the board will see is the that 5 PFAR, if you want to be a SNA study and retest, if you want to be a SNFO roll the dice and go with the FOFAR of 6. I have seen many turned down with PFAR of 5's and 6's that had more impressive applications than you, and applicants with PFAR of 8's and 9's that had a far less impressive application than you.

layan

When given the emergency procedures before you start that part of the test, do you have unlimited time to write it down or is there a time limit?

skb832

Does anyone have a list of formulas that we need to know/memorize and be familiar with?

Also, test for the math section, did they provide us with a formula sheet?

I wanted to throw this out there for people wanting help with the UAV section of the test.
This test simulator is to prep for the AFOQT/TBAS sections (Airforce) and offers a UAV simulator that is nearly identical to the navy one.
it cost $60 but was worth it for me.