• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

rn87

Well good luck, with how easy you made some of the questions seem I'm sure you will do great.

I have been going back through the math section and I need help on another. I know there has to be a simple a timely way of doing it but I cant figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated.

28. At a "mess night" there are only captains, 2nd lieutenants, and 1st lieutenants. If the total number of 2nd lts. and 1st lts. is 30, the total number of 2nd lts. and captains is 45, and the total number of 1st lts. and captains is 35, what is the total number of company grade officers at the "mess night"?

popofosho

Okay so make each Rank a variable.

1 LT - S, 2 LT - J, Capt - C

S + J = 30
J + C = 45
S + C = 35

Solve for one of the variables, S + C = 35.
C=35-S

Now you have C, plug it into an equatin with a C, J+C = 45.

J + C = 45
J + (35-S) = 45
J - S = 10
J = S + 10

Now,
Substitue again

S + ( S+10) = 30
2s = 20
S = 10

Now Plug and chug for the variables. I think this method is called solving by substitution.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
That's a good score popofosho. I think we all hope for a bit better but there is nothing wrong with yours.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
rn87 If you take the APEX version (computer based) you get your scores immediately at the end and they will print you a copy if you want.

TCL001

Popofosho..you seemed to know a lot about the math on the Marine Gouge..did you struggle with the reading and mechanical comprehension?

popofosho

Popofosho..you seemed to know a lot about the math on the Marine Gouge..did you struggle with the reading and mechanical comprehension?

Nope. I rocked those sections. Math is the one that had to of messed up my OAR. I flagged a few questions off the bat, any way in the end I had to guess on a few. And i thought i was gonna do good on the math! Oh well

TCL001

Oh ok, well i'm taking mine tomorrow at 10am and am feeling pretty confident. I'll post my scores ones I finish. Any last minute tips?

popofosho

Just take it easy and relax. math is your first section so this section is also where you will master the control buttons for the sections to come. Dont sweat it just try to suck up the questions in one reading and think simple. good luck

rn87

Hey popofosho I was reading the thread and you say that the math is what probably brought your score down and I'm curious what kind of problems was it that you got that were tough because you seem to be pretty good at your math. Was it just the time limit or were there some that were excessively difficult that I should note? I'm just asking because the math is probably my weakest point and if you say thats the section that was rough I would appreciate it if you could give me some insight as to what I should study more. Thanks a lot for your help by the way although now I'm a little more worried about the math portion..haha

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
rn87 I am pretty good in math and I will tell you that I did a bunch of it in my head. That being said the problems you asked about earlier are the similar to the types of problems asked on the test. It is strictly a time issue and not knowing exactly how the computer program works because that is your first sections as he said before. Worry about how to do the problems now and a week before the test use practice exams to get your timing and speed down. Don't worry about the test. Keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine!