• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

nativeofsandieg

I heard that if you guess (and get it wrong) it counts a whole point off but if you leave it blank it is only a half a point. I could be wrong...

There was one question I was studying today asked what percent would be left over this many were taken away, etc. etc. The recruiter commented that all questions would be in fraction format. No percentages, if that makes sense?

UA2007

GlennH stated it perfectly "My advice to anyone taking it would be to study a mile wide and an inch deep. There's not gonna be any astro-physics on there, but theres something about everything."

I didn't spend a lot of time studying, I just skimmed through Pearson's 7th Ed. I did take 2 practice exams the day before I went in for the ASTB. My emphasis was internalizing the clock during the practice sessions so I had a good idea how I was doing with time as I took the exam for real. On each practice I was getting about 80% correct, but was also consistently finishing each section with 1-3 minutes to spare. Pearson's tells you exactly how much time you will have to complete each section. After each section was complete (during my practice sessions), I would take a (timed) two-minute break. I found this routine to be very beneficial when I took the ASTB several months ago.

I scored 6/7/7, 54 on my one and only attempt. I know for certain three questions that I missed. All for the same reason, I mixed up my numbers. I pulled my application before October 2009 boards and will be submitting them within the next two weeks to hit February boards. From what I have heard, my scores won't even be close unless you have a great GPA in a respectable major.

Although the Navy claims to "Look at the applicant as a whole, and no single factor (assuming you pass your physical) will qualify nor disqualify an applicant" the fact is that they don't. One factor can absolutely prevent your application from even being looked at.

So make sure your package is as close to perfect as you can.

He also suggested I'd be better off if I would add one or two more letters of recommendation. This was knowing I already had letters from the following: O-1, O-5, O-6, O-10. The O-10 was a fixed-wing military pilot for 35 of 46 years as an officer.

Good luck to everybody. I hope to see y'all in Newport in April.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I scored 6/7/7, 54 on my one and only attempt. I know for certain three questions that I missed. All for the same reason, I mixed up my numbers. I pulled my application before October 2009 boards and will be submitting them within the next two weeks to hit February boards. From what I have heard, my scores won't even be close unless you have a great GPA in a respectable major.

That's not true. Those scores are fine. Yes GPA and major do play a role but a minor one. There have been several applicants (many on AW) who were no tech majors and had your scores and got in....I had a 62 6/6/6 and I'm going to OCS in 2 days.

Honestly yes make your application as awesome as possible and submit it, but there is no cookie cutter way to do things. No one thing you do or score will guarantee a slot. A guy who applied in the same month as me got rejected and he had a 3.9 GPA, almost a perfect ASTB, and 4000 flight hours or something crazy and was a non-select. You never know what the board wants so apply with what ou got and pray for the best....

Otherwise, see you in april :icon_smil

dcjohnsonjr1

None
I am an Active Duty Staff Sergeant in the Marine Corps. With in the past six years in the Marine Corps I got every qualification or held pretty much every billet as an Air Traffic Controller (7252/7253/7254/7257). Start to finish with no prior college I completed a BS from Embry-Riddle with a GPA of 3.7 in 14 months. I studied for 3 days before the test and this is what I wound up with:

ASTB Form #5:

AQR: 5
PFAR: 6
FOFAR: 6
OAR: 50

I am a bit disappointed in the scores, but I got what I put into it. That is what happens when you are attached to a training command and constantly molding the future of the VV/VM. Plan on submitting for the March Board as long as I get the first endorsement on my conditional release from the Marine Corps in time.

"Letting the journey begin, to accelerate my life, to become a greater cause of goodness..."

dcjohnsonjr1

None
I finished the ASTB today around 1700 and my grades were 6/7/7 51. My degree is Aeronautics from ERAU w/GPA of 3.03. 6 years prior service in the USAF. I do have a DUI on my record that I received in 2003 while AD. My EPR's are all solid; except the year of the DUI, which is a referral. I'm 29 and everything else is gravy. Hoping for the best once I get my LORs in to complete my package!! My friend, who is a Marine Aviator, is telling me not to sweat the DUI; but I'm still sweating it.

Also have about 80 - 90 hours of flight time (started training once while AD, then at ERAU. Too much $$$)

I know this is a bit late and probably a dollar short but, DUI's aren't that big of a deal in the Marine Corps. I know one Gunnery Sergeant, while acting as our Squadron Gunny got 2 in a 4 month period. He is now a 1stSgt.

However, if you are fat by Marine Corps standards you are going to get the "Green Meanie."

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I know this is a bit late and probably a dollar short but, DUI's aren't that big of a deal in the Marine Corps. I know one Gunnery Sergeant, while acting as our Squadron Gunny got 2 in a 4 month period. He is now a 1stSgt.

However, if you are fat by Marine Corps standards you are going to get the "Green Meanie."

I know a few enlisted Marines and a couple Officers in the fleet who got DUI's...but the key is they got them while they were active duty. 9.8/10 times it is a career killer, maybe less so for a junior enlisted.....however, when you are a civilian trying to get into the Officer Corps of any service, I can only imagine it is a huge mountain to climb. With the economy in it's current state and the already overmanning of Junior Officers, the recruiters can afford to be picky. This even makes the DUI look even worse, not trying to paint a grim picture, just being honest.

It is very untrue to say "DUI's aren't a big deal in the Marine Corps"...just because you know a guy, everyone "knows a guy".

dcjohnsonjr1

None
Clarification: Not a big deal - you can still continue a successful career. I know not "just one guy" but numerous individuals (8 total) that have recieved DUI's and still got promoted and have advanced their career. I have known of 5 friends that have been on BCP, NONE were every promoted again and eventually EAS'ed or were adsep'ed. Not arguing the fact about recruiter's being selective given our current economical situation and you are very well correct that it is probably a hugh mountain to climb to get in. However, if you view a DUI as a big deal in the Marine Corps then you should expierence life outside of NAS Pensacola and API. It will get briefed and beat into everyone's head not to do it but everytime I have seen someone get caught not one CO has brought down an Iron fist down on them.

GlennH

I`ve never gotten a DWI, but 2.5 years ago I was arrested twice for underage possesion of alcohol when I was 20 years old. Has anyone heard of this being an issue as far as getting seleted for OCS? I´m going for SNA if that matters.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
I`ve never gotten a DWI, but 2.5 years ago I was arrested twice for underage possesion of alcohol when I was 20 years old. Has anyone heard of this being an issue as far as getting seleted for OCS? I´m going for SNA if that matters.

I think there's someone here on AW who is on BDCP SNA and had the same thing, not twice though. It may be a factor, but I highly doubt that it would ruin your chances. Just a misdemeanor.

TCL001

Hey people at AirWarriors,

I've been studying for the ASTB for about a month and will be taking it next week. I've almost got all the math problems down on the Marine Gouge, Barron's and ARCO study guide's, but am having some trouble figuring out a formula for solving this problem:

While assaulting a fortified machine gun bunker, a Marine fired 2000 rounds during two engagements. If he fired 800 rounds more in his first engagement that in his second, how many rounds did he fire during his first engagement?

If anybody has the solution, would you mind sending me a private message?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Tom

hst

Hey people at AirWarriors,

I've been studying for the ASTB for about a month and will be taking it next week. I've almost got all the math problems down on the Marine Gouge, Barron's and ARCO study guide's, but am having some trouble figuring out a formula for solving this problem:

While assaulting a fortified machine gun bunker, a Marine fired 2000 rounds during two engagements. If he fired 800 rounds more in his first engagement that in his second, how many rounds did he fire during his first engagement?

If anybody has the solution, would you mind sending me a private message?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Tom

You have to set up a system of equations. Let X = first engagement, let Y = second engagement.

so X + Y = 2000

We also know that the difference between the amount of rounds expended is 800. So we can say,

X - Y = 800

Now, we can re-arrange this equation to state,

X = 800 + Y

Substitute this value for X into the first equation (X + Y =2000)

so now, we can say

(800 + Y) + Y = 2000

So 2Y = 1200

Y = 600 rounds

Since X + Y = 2000,

X + 600 = 2000, so X = 1400, which is 800 more than Y.

nativeofsandieg

Thats one of the questions where they give you the teaser answer which is 600, but there is still more work to be done to find his ammunition fired in his first engagement.