• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

121 Die in Greek Air Crash after co-pilot found slumped on controls and no pilot

Aeolos

Just makes you realize how important the compression chamber training is. It appears that these pilots experienced Hypoxia from a FL300 decompression.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Something else strange about this accident is the fact that the tail section survived intact.

That implies something less than a high-speed, high-angle impact after the aircraft either ran out of fuel or went out of control with no one flying. It suggests a slower speed at the time of impact, in more level flight.
If that's the case, why didn't the aircraft spend enough time below 15,000' or so for the pilots to regain consciousness and regain control?

Something's strange here....
They may very well have died already. Doesn't take that long @ 30K. Remember a few years back when a similar thing happened to that pro golfer in a bizjet?

Brett

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Mefesto said:
Interesting... there's a master warning if the cabin pressure gets above 10K' and both pilots have quick donning O2 masks in the event of a rapid decompression. The rubber jungle (passenger masks) also drops from the ceiling. Wonder why none of that happend?

An article I read said the bodies that were scattered about were wearing O2 masks. So the rubber jungle did deploy, and the passengers had them on. Also made mention of a cell phone call by a passenger to his cousin saying that they were "freezing."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe there was a malfunction in the oxygen system itself; i.e. the emergency O2 deployed, but was contaminated. No clue how likely that would be. Would the 737 have used canned 02 or an OBOGS-type device?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Would the 737 have used canned 02 or an OBOGS-type device?

Neither in the cabin I would think, that's pressurized below 10,000 feet. But the emergency O2... not sure...

nugget81

pilot
From what I understand about commercial airliner supplemental oxygen systems for passengers, they are typically sodium chlorate candles that use a chemical reaction to produce oxygen. They don't last very long (no more than 12 minutes on average) and as such they are strictly a "get me down" system. OBOGS are typically used for military aircraft and I doubt that it is used on any 737's. As for the cabin crew (pilots, FA's) they usually have a separate oxygen system that is independent from all other systems.
I read in one of the stories online that investigators were looking at the possibility of a toxic gas in the cabin. This could be feasible if the pilots did not use the 100% oxygen and emergency settings. Unless the system is set to both, the potential to breathe in toxic gases increases dramatically. Effective performance time (EPT) at FL300 is only 1-2 minutes and a toxin works synergistically to decrease that time. Finally, rapid decompressions will cut the EPT in half.
One thing is for sure, something very wrong happened on that flight. What it is? Only time will tell...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Just out of curiosity, why does Rapid-D cut the EPT in half? I was always of the understanding that any emergency O2 system's duration of use was dependant on two things: Altitude, and how fast (i.e. excited) the user was breathing. Why does the rapid decompression reduce this time?
If it's extreme, it can suck whatever air you have in your lungs out, reducing your useful consciousness.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
yep, air does seem to consistently flow from a higher pressure to a lower pressure

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HEY!!!

Riddle me this:

How come all you Air"Warriors" know-nothings have no problem-o "speckalatin' " on civilian crash & burns and yet are absolutely apoplectic regarding speculation on a Navy crash & burn --- again, when you know nothing about the procedures, aircraft, and relative states of training of the civilians ..... ??????

Hmmmmmm ...... ??? Anyone??? ANYONE ?????

No AW smiles on this .....

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
HEY!!!

Riddle me this:

How come all you Air"Warriors" know-nothings have no problem-o "speckalatin' " on civilian crash & burns and yet are absolutely apoplectic regarding speculation on a Navy crash & burn --- again, when you know nothing about the procedures, aircraft, and relative states of training of the civilians ..... ??????

Hmmmmmm ...... ??? Anyone??? ANYONE ?????

No AW smiles on this .....
Well, I guess it's unfortunate that you think we all know nothing about commercial aviation and its associated training requirements and procedures. I do think there is some inconsistency in the desire to talk about commericial crashes vs. milititary mishaps. However, I can also understand the desire to keep things that happen in the military secret as most of the causes of those mishaps only apply to military aviation. It is frustrating to me, but understandable none the less.

There are several folks on this board who hold ATP certificates and even those who have flown for commerical airlines (newly commissioned officers that is). I'm sure that just because they are only "nuggets" in their squadron doesn't suddenly make them ignorant of the "procedures, aircraft, and relative states of training of the civilians." I realize that their experience may not measure up to that of a 747 Captain. However, that doesn't make their opinions any less valid does it?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
There are several folks on this board who hold ATP certificates and even those who have flown for commerical airlines (newly commissioned officers that is).

and some with the egos to go with it. I agree with A4s

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I speculted my @ss off for the H-3 video (I know somehtings about that stuff)but I dont know dick about civilian airliners other than I dont want to get in one unless its flown by an American and maybe a few European and Australian exceptions so I wont be commenting on this, that is all.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
There are several folks on this board who hold ATP certificates
Having an ATP does not mean you know anything about commercial aviation or transport catagory aircraft.