• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3 wire OK why?

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
because your hook will hit in the middle, between 2 and 3 wire, then drag to the 3 wire

and you can get an OK and not get a 3wire, and you can also get a 3wire and not get a OK (or a fair or a no grade,etc)

PS: they, as in the LSO's, can change the aimpoint though by changing the Fresnel lens, like when the 4 wire is busted, they'll target the 2 wire instead

They want you to aim for the middle so that you have the best chance of catching a wire, if you're alittle high, you still catch the four, if you're alittle low you'll catch the one or two but still safely away from the ramp. If they were targetting the one for example, and you were low, well, ramp strike. Targetting the four, and your high, bolter. Targetting the hook point there is the best for safely bringing you aboard.

Lawman

None
Follow-up question Punk. Or for any other Tailhookers. What if any was the reason behind going down to 3 wires on the Reagan. Did they change position at all of the remaining 3?

Just trying to figure that one out.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (IFLOLS)

The initial production of IFLOLS is in full swing with six production systems installed so far on aircraft carriers. It's a great system improvement over the older FLOLS (Fresnel lens) with its 12 fiber optic cells indicating glide slope at about twice the sensitivity as the older FLOLS. With IFLOLS's greater definition, it is possible to accurately reference the lens as far out as a mile behind the ship. The greater sensitivity of the lens cells provides the pilot the capability to observe glide slope deviations sooner, thus promoting smaller corrections and tighter control of glide slope. Once you recalibrate your eye and flying to the new system, it's supposedly tough to go back to "regular" FLOLS.

cvs-1.jpg

According to the guys running the LSO school, the "new" system is so much more precise than what I flew that the carriers today are going to 3 wires (target 2 wire) to save on installation $$$$, maintenance and upkeep of the arresting gear.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
I'm pretty sure every carrier is now IFLOLS. That was our preferred lens to train on in K'rock. I say preferred because we only had one IFLOLS at home field and one at Orange Grove and since IFLOLS was on the boat, we need to know how to fly that lens. So if they had recently changed runways, we were on the old lens.

Going from the IFLOLS to the FLOLS was an easier transition. It made you think you were doing better than you were because of the lack of movement in the ball. Of course, going from FLOLS to IFLOLS was always tricky. If it hadn't been a while and you weren't used to all the movement of the ball, you could easily overcontrol it. Thankfully though, IFLOLS is what we learned on from the very beginning, so after a pass, it was back to normal.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got used to IFLOLS, so when I come to one of the FLOLS runways here, it trips me up. It feels so inprecise after flying off IFLOLS.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
ThE USS Reagan was designed with the A-12 in mind (remember that little pet project?) With the proposed weight, aproach speed and size, the 4 wire rollout for the A-12 would have been too far forward, so the design on the Reagan was re-adjusted to three wires.

I was also told that it was due to the Super Hornet's being designed to bring back more ordnance to the boat, thus higher trap weights, thus stronger gear needed. So 3 strengthened arresting gear engines were put in place of 4 old ones. Hornet bubbas, does this make sense or am I talking out the wrong end of my digestive tract?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Why would people expect the Super Hornet to bring back more ordanance?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DanMav1156 said:
Why would people expect the Super Hornet to bring back more ordanance?
You mean, more ordnance than it left with? That would be a good trick.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
flashypants said:
If a Hornet returned with Chuck Norris onboard, it would have infinite ordnance.
Must CN permeate through to every thread?;)

Brett