• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

3 wire OK why?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
codtanker said:
Besides, it lets the old guys see the ball from a longer distance these days. I remember a individual, name withheld of course that asked the new guys in the right seat to tell him where he was on the ball until about a 1/2 mile which is where he could finally start seeing the ball. Dangerous, maybe but he wore the right rank and had proven his abilities in the aircraft over the many years.

Well, I ran into one of those old guys (my old Skipper) at the El Centro COC. It was Hubs change of command by the way and he gave one hell of a speech. Here is one of my favorite lines and I'm paraphrasing.........."I would like to thank my parents for having sex all those years ago. How often does one get to thank two 77 year olds for having sex?" He also mentioned something about his speech being like a ladies skirt, just long enough to hid the goods but short enough to show off the legs.........or something to that effect. I later heard two old lady's talking about him at the reception and one mentioned that she hoped he had found Jesus. If Jesus wears a skirt and serves liquor, he may just have :)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Bunk,
Who was it that chewed and swallowed the glass of his beer pint, Hubs or Jack? Man those old guys are salty. And I thought you Bunk were dirty and old! Maybe just "dirty," my mistake.

Oh, I never said I was good at flying the ball... just knew what it looked like.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
kmac said:
Hey Bunk,
Who was it that chewed and swallowed the glass of his beer pint, Hubs or Jack? Man those old guys are salty. And I thought you Bunk were dirty and old! Maybe just "dirty," my mistake.

Oh, I never said I was good at flying the ball... just knew what it looked like.

Hubs would eat his wine glass, according to Kiko. Mad Jack was just Mad Jack. Yes, I am just dirty but only getting old :D

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Don't forget bald too Bunk. No one ever thinks a COD guy is good at flying the ball so I wouldn't sweat it too much Kmac. Let them believe whatever they want and I would take an extra swig of Guinness on the beach every night to get rid of the blues. The airwing can't do that:)

I can still remember a few of the green lights we had at the Rawhides, well just bits and pieces of them at least. Nothing makes a better squadron then a front office that likes to play as hard as we fly. The good old days.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
they, as in the LSO's, can change the aimpoint though by changing the Fresnel lens, like when the 4 wire is busted, they'll target the 2 wire instead
Of course, that is along as there are 4 wires. I believe I heard newer boats are being designed with 3. Supposed 25% less cost and upkeep and aircraft landing performance is better. Tomcat with DFCS is a competitive Top Ten Hook machine.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
kmac said:
.....I'm trying to figure out if one can "fly" a centered ball from the 90 on in and still be on glidepath.
Check in with the LSO school, Oceana. They probably won't be back in town until after the New Year. I don't have their phone # over here in the Territory, or I would PM it to you. They will be happy to give you the "real dope" on the "new" lens and answer your questions , minus the B.S.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
IFLOLS is DEFINATLEY an improvement over the old lens. ..... A4's, it would bring a tear to your eye....
I'm "tearing" up just reading this .... but not as much as the guys when I waved a couple of periods at the field @ CUBI with "Paddles" ... no joke. I just wanted to try it, sans radio, so I had the metal shop make me up a couple of wire frames and I put some cross-strips of white T-shirt across them.

BINGO !!! Instant "Paddles" ....

I waved a couple of days at the field until I got bored with it and the novelty wore off ..... the guys were amazed how I could discern a half a ball high or low (I left the lens on to be "legal") ..... I never did tell them that I had a visual check-point across the bay on Grande Island for initial altitude gouge.

I couldn't let ALL my secrets go public .....