• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

40 days and 40 nights of flight school

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
18 mos. from start of Preflight to Wings/Commission (NAVCAD), with approx. 300 flight hrs.

My A/C types were Primary: T-34B (piston); Basic thru Carqual: T-28B; Adv. (Inst.): TV-2 (T-33); Adv. (fam thru gunnery/bombing): F9F-8 Cougar (no 8-T 2-seaters yet & no jet carqual at that time). WINGS!

How does that compare with today's flight training in average months/fight hours?
BzB

Mid-90's E-6 track:
8 month stash (awaiting training) + 20 months for training which was 107 hours in the T-34C + 108 hours in the T-1 = 28 months and 215 hours...winged May 1996.

OBTW, I was stashed in Austin...best stash job ever.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Made my entire first Med cruise as an Ensign...flying Spads with VA-35 on Saratoga.
Holy Sh*t!

I hope you were not the coffee mess O for the same whole time..... or worse, the movie officer?
[Spads... where have all the Spads (and Sandy's) gone, long time passing?]

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
15 months, preflight to wings. 7/68 to 10/69 [Hey, there was a war going on!]
272.2 hours, t-34/T-2A&B/TF-9 & AF-9
4 weeks Maint-Mgt School Memphis [Not so fast]
1 whole flippen year in the F-4 RAG because of a 6-month pool. 1/1970 to 1 1971. [Hurry up and wait.]
Went to Vietnam with 479.4 total hours, April 1971 ..... 2 years and 8 months after starting preflight in P'cola, even with the 4 week school and 6-month pool.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The month and year I was born...and I go on terminal leave for retirement 9/12.

Cat - Thanks for being here and keeping us young bucks in line:)
Thank you, and thanks for your service!

Once upon a time long ago, I used to know guys that were older than dirt.
Now I guess I am finally one of them... older than dirt. But it beats all the alternative!

Nevertheless, we all are of a wondrful fraternity! :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now I guess I am finally one of them... older than dirt. :)

Not dirt, more like fine wine. Hah, to me, your'e jest a young, punk kid... As Uncle Alby said "It's all RELATIVE"!

Thanks to you also for your service. I witnessed you "catting off into the wild, BLACK yonder" in your big fuel-suckin' Spook, many times during fun & games as MIDWAY Shipmates in '72.

*It was always interesting, sometimes frightening, but never easy!:eek:
BzB

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Graduated/commissioned late April 1985.
Winged late June 1986.
222.2 hrs in 14 months

3 month stash at the SH-60B FRS in Mayport where I logged another 54.7 hrs from Oct '86 to May '87

So I had a total of 279.9 when I got to the fleet.
My first flight out to the ship I would eventually deploy on wasn't until June 1988. During that year HSL-44 continued to take delivery of brand new SH-60Bs and the remainder of the ships we were to DET out on were commissioned. I got plank owner hats from both USS Mobile Bay and USS Thomas S Gates.
Note: Now USS Thomas S Gates (CG 51) is already decommissioned in the Philly ship yards.

I had 416 hrs total before I started workups and 626.9 total before DET 9 left on our first deployment in April 1989, 4 years after my commissioning!

In summary, relatively quick from commissioning to wings, then very slow after that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I got plank owner hats from both USS Mobile Bay and USS Thomas S Gates.
Note: Now USS Thomas S Gates (CG 51) is already decommissioned in the Philly ship yards.

While on my second deployment, the Gates was in our exercise armada during UNITAS. Ironically, she was decomm'ed and the frigate I was on is still going...and it was built before the Gates.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The month and year I was born...and I go on terminal leave for retirement 9/12.

Cat - Thanks for being here and keeping us young bucks in line:)

Born in 69? How do you make it through the flight physical with your walker?

81montedriver

pilot
From what I have read on AW, it seems to take longer (with less flight time), to get your wings today than when I went through. In the mid '50s it took me about 18 mos. from start of Preflight to Wings/Commission (NAVCAD), with approx. 300 flight hrs. Never had "class-up" or other pools. The only delays I recall were weather related, and my 2-week medical grounding.

My A/C types were Primary: T-34B (piston); Basic thru Carqual: T-28B; Adv. (Inst.): TV-2 (T-33); Adv. (fam thru gunnery/bombing): F9F-8 Cougar (no 8-T 2-seaters yet & no jet carqual at that time). WINGS!

How does that compare with today's flight training in average months/fight hours?
BzB

From API to wings it took me 17 months. In that time I flew 179 hours. Since the Marine Corps does not have a Herc RAG and all of our initial training is done in the sim, I showed up to the fleet with 179 hours.