• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

40 days and 40 nights of flight school

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Is it normal to get a new job with (if my rotor trash math is correct) five months left in a command? Seems to me that such a period of time gives you just enough time to learn a job before you high-five your replacement. It certainly doesn't sound like enough time to learn a job, have an appreciable impact (these are JO jobs, remember...most are well-established, standardized programs), and conduct a quality turnover. I'm not suggesting that you need to spend years in a particular billet, but five months (particularly when the right lateral limit is a set of PCS orders) seems like a rather short tenure.
I would think that if you broke out and were #1 or #2 at your last job and your next FITREP was expected to be a 1 of 1 because of orders, then a short, unimportant job would not be out of the question.

KBayDog

I would think that if you broke out and were #1 or #2 at your last job and your next FITREP was expected to be a 1 of 1 because of orders, then a short, unimportant job would not be out of the question.

True, true...and I guess the same could be said if you were #11 of 10.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Typically there are 3 top jobs when you roll out of a squadron. (Pretty standard among the community last I checked.) And the HAC job to have on det is DetMO. I very rarely have heard of guys with only 6 month tickets. Typically we rotated guys through the top jobs for 9-12 months, occasionally longer if somebody in line was a screw up and didn't get it. (ie someone more junior would get it and hold it longer.)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I was det Admin O/IMO. I don't have one now. I'm on leave. Chances are, I won't get a "top 4" job until about 6 months from now since I have about 11 months left in the command.

Curiosity is killing the cat, you willing to share where you are gonna try and get orders to?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Curiosity is killing the cat, you willing to share where you are gonna try and get orders to?

Not sure yet. It also is directly affected by my ranking. What I know is I don't want RAG or Weapon's school.

Typically there are 3 top jobs when you roll out of a squadron. (Pretty standard among the community last I checked.) And the HAC job to have on det is DetMO. I very rarely have heard of guys with only 6 month tickets. Typically we rotated guys through the top jobs for 9-12 months, occasionally longer if somebody in line was a screw up and didn't get it. (ie someone more junior would get it and hold it longer.)

Not to be the "knowitall" as everyone likes to think I am, but what you described above is NOTHING like how our squadron runs. We've never had a LT pilot DETMO .... EVER until a det this past year, and that was only out of necessity. It is ALWAYS an LDO/CWO maintenance type (as it was on my det).

We are so overmanned with LTs that guys are getting jobs for as little as 3-4 months before rotating out. This allows more guys to get the top 4 jobs (QA, Safety, NATOPS, AOPS and some would argue even SWTP Coordinator - I think not).

There are guys (and it may be in my case, too) that are getting their tickets punched with a competitive FITREP after serving in their top billet for a month, sometimes not even fully turned over due to such a high turnover and short tenure in these jobs. Ultimately, the writeup is for your parents; the only thing that matters is your ranking and the number at the bottom. And those two things are figured out before you ever step into your top job.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Does 25 have aviator detmos?

Aren't you in the same squadron as Otto these days?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...the only thing that matters is your ranking and the number at the bottom. And those two things are figured out before you ever step into your top job.

Uhh, no, no and no.

I don't know why I bother at this point.

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...... We've never had a LT pilot DETMO .... ..... It is ALWAYS an LDO/CWO maintenance type (as it was on my det).

That's the way you need it to be. They've got the goods.

......And those two things are figured out before you ever step into your top job.

Inaccurate. I've chaired several LT ranking boards. Nothing's pre-determined. There is a timing element to it, but performance does matter. I've seen the golden child fooker it away and being awarded less than a top EP. Not only your ranking matters (not sure what number at the bottom you are speaking of - unless you mean in the promotion recommendation blocks) but a lot of the remarks in the header and footer of the writeup are essential. Your promotion rec could be an EP, but if your trait average is tells more the tale. Make sure you don't live by bad gouge on this.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That's the way you need it to be. They've got the goods.

Inaccurate. I've chaired several LT ranking boards. Nothing's pre-determined. There is a timing element to it, but performance does matter. I've seen the golden child fooker it away and being awarded less than a top EP. Not only your ranking matters (not sure what number at the bottom you are speaking of - unless you mean in the promotion recommendation blocks) but a lot of the remarks in the header and footer of the writeup are essential. Your promotion rec could be an EP, but if your trait average is tells more the tale. Make sure you don't live by bad gouge on this.

I only based my post on what my XO told me directly when I asked him how my competitive FITREP would be affected being in my top job for all of around a month when the cycle finishes, and he told me basically what I posted above. That may not be your experience, but since he's the one who will be ranking me, I trust what he told me in this case.

Uhh, no, no and no.

I don't know why I bother at this point.

Brett

That's literally a quote from my XO, former Aviator detailer. I'm not making this up.

Am I the only one that noticed that yet AGAIN, a thread devolved into an "Otto sucks based on our internet opinion, in spite of facts and manifest evidence". All because someone posted a smartass comment in reply to a perfectly un-antagonizing post contributing to this thread? It's like reverse trolling, where everyone wants to talk about me.... except me. I mean, if it makes you happy... rock on.

And as for your desired job affecting your ranking... yeah. If you want to fly, you need to be #3EP or greater these days. I want to fly, and I've made it known.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's literally a quote from my XO, former Aviator detailer. I'm not making this up.

Am I the only one that noticed that yet AGAIN, a thread devolved into an "Otto sucks based on our internet opinion, in spite of facts and manifest evidence". All because someone posted a smartass comment in reply to a perfectly un-antagonizing post contributing to this thread? It's like reverse trolling, where everyone wants to talk about me.... except me. I mean, if it makes you happy... rock on.

The problem is that what you have posted here flies in the face of what multiple aviators in multiple communities have seen/experienced/succeeded with. Often times you can apply this same tidbit to your other posts.

For your community, Det MO isn't a ticket to punch. For other communities (like HSL/HSM), it is. I'm guessing that's where some of the confusion comes in. A short-stroke competitive EP may or may not be the norm (personally I saw it a couple of times when I was a JO). It might not be as big a deal for a JO as it is for a DH, but to believe the only thing that matters is the ranking...or being told that...is a disservice to all.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It might not be as big a deal for a JO as it is for a DH, but to believe the only thing that matters is the ranking...or being told that...is a disservice to all.

I think the confusion is that some guys hear "only an EP matters". It obviously does but if you're getting an EP and your last job in the squadron is 1st LT then that's probably not gonna be the best on a board.

Then again, in this day and age everyone gets a trophy so telling someone they suck and that being the senior LT PAO may not be helpful to their career doesn't seem to happen all that often.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you don't want FRS or WWS, it's unlikely that you'll get a high EP. If you've telegraphed this to the front office - and since you've said so here, no reason to think you haven't - you'll be ranked accordingly. If you're headed to a non-flying job, lotsa luck.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think the confusion is that some guys hear "only an EP matters". It obviously does but if you're getting an EP and your last job in the squadron is 1st LT then that's probably not gonna be the best on a board.

Then again, in this day and age everyone gets a trophy so telling someone they suck and that being the senior LT PAO may not be helpful to their career doesn't seem to happen all that often.

Agreed. So sure... your job title block is important, too. But the point was just that I made a simple post, was challenged and then told I was flat wrong. I didn't post it in a vacuum. When a former PERS 43 detailer tells me something about how FITREPS are viewed and how detailing takes place, I tend to believe them on merit. I've had numerous discussions with my OIC/DH/XO about my career and what I plan on doing. Based on those discussions, I have a pretty clear picture about where I am, where I want to go, and the likelihood of getting there, and the implications of the choices I make and my performance.

As for not being a high EP if you don't want RAG/WS... that's just not the case anymore. Even if you want VTs/HTs, from what I've seen over the last year or so is, if you aren't a #3EP.... you won't get a flying billet, even VT/HT. You may possibly get station SAR, but that's not guaranteed. The days of the "shitheads" going to flight school are over. You're lucky to get an IP billet anywhere. I've seen a number of #4 guys go to grad school/nonflying lately. So you may be able to tell me I'm wrong, but that's just not what I've personally SEEN in the recent past, and the proof is in the pudding. My XO knows what choices I've been thinking about, and just like anything else I've strived for, I have a reach, a realistic choice, and a fall-back non-flying plan. I think I'm on track for my future plans.