• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6 Navy Commanding Officers Sacked in 6 Weeks

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Wow. I'm guessing he either brought back the cat o'nine tails, refused the crew their rum rations, or had someone keel hauled.:pirate_12

//The above is simply a bit of levity and in no way, shape, or form is actual conjecture as to the actual circumstances of the skipper being relieved, nor does it reflect the view of Airwarriors.com. I wish him the best in his future endeavors. Fair winds & following seas, etc.///

BackOrdered

Contributor
Due to loss of confidence in his ability to command

Arguably the easiest way to fire a CO for whatever reason or reasons you'd like without having to explain why. I'm surprised the USS Constitution commander didn't get the same memo.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Arguably the easiest way to fire a CO for whatever reason or reasons you'd like without having to explain why. I'm surprised the USS Constitution commander didn't get the same memo.

That's actually the standard, pro forma phraseology used for that kind of thing.

Brett

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor

Read it again! He DID get the same memo! Complete nondisclosure allows the "LCpl underground" to run rampant on what the reasons are. What do they call the LCpl underground in the Navy?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Read it again! He DID get the same memo! Complete nondisclosure allows the "LCpl underground" to run rampant on what the reasons are. What do they call the LCpl underground in the Navy?

Scuttlebutt.

Brett

Rocky3168

my SWO buddy from school called me last night and told me that his destroyer ran aground the other day.... Interesting to see if yet another skipper gets canned soon.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
From my basic understanding of Navy structure, these officers have spent at least what, twenty years each in the service? By that reasoning, in six weeks, a hundred and twenty combined years of service has be washed down the drain, correct? I mean getting fired from command is a career ender, right? Does stuff like this happen often? What about you career guys, do you agree with this type of move? i.e. Do you really think these guys deserved it or is there some other agenda going down? (I don't know if your even allowed to comment on this stuff, if your aren't please feel free to set me straight)

Dingobat

my SWO buddy from school called me last night and told me that his destroyer ran aground the other day.... Interesting to see if yet another skipper gets canned soon.
Isn't that the story of the Burke? The sixth one?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From my basic understanding of Navy structure, these officers have spent at least what, twenty years each in the service? By that reasoning, in six weeks, a hundred and twenty combined years of service has be washed down the drain, correct? I mean getting fired from command is a career ender, right? Does stuff like this happen often? What about you career guys, do you agree with this type of move? i.e. Do you really think these guys deserved it or is there some other agenda going down? (I don't know if your even allowed to comment on this stuff, if your aren't please feel free to set me straight)

If you're the CO of a ship and you run it aground, you have no business being the CO of a ship. Same goes for COs that engage in other types of highly questionable behavior such as fraternization, DUIs, or flagrant disregard for safety. Career ender? Yep. 20+ years down the drain? Yep - As it should be. These guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop and are usually under the microscope, so I have very little sympathy when they decide to go off the reservation.

Brett

Dingobat

If you're the CO of a ship and you run it aground, you have no business being the CO of a ship. Same goes for COs that engage in other types of highly questionable behavior such as fraternization, DUIs, or flagrant disregard for safety. Career ender? Yep. 20+ years down the drain? Yep - As it should be. These guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop and are usually under the microscope, so I have very little sympathy when they decide to go off the reservation.

Brett
Fraternization as in "Fraternizing with the enemy" or fraternization as in "Dipping your pen in the Company ink"? Of course the first one makes sense to shit-can a CO on, but I thought the Navy was concerned only with Officers boffing Enlisted folk, or the other way around becuase it got weird with authority and command and that stuff. I can kind of see that connection with a CO and another officer, but arn't Officers held to a higher degree than Enlisted.. I.e., an Officer can put those feelings aside or whatever to accomplish the mission? Just curious on Navy culture and mentality-

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Fraternization as in "Fraternizing with the enemy" or fraternization as in "Dipping your pen in the Company ink"? Of course the first one makes sense to shit-can a CO on, but I thought the Navy was concerned only with Officers boffing Enlisted folk, or the other way around becuase it got weird with authority and command and that stuff. I can kind of see that connection with a CO and another officer, but arn't Officers held to a higher degree than Enlisted.. I.e., an Officer can put those feelings aside or whatever to accomplish the mission? Just curious on Navy culture and mentality-

Fraternization usually refers to a complete disregard for rank and unduly/inappropriate relations between officer and enlisted, senior officer/junior officer, or senior enlisted/junior enlisted. And yes, officers are held at a high standard. To be the role model/example/leader for our enlisted personnel. As far as an officer putting feelings aside in order to accomplish a mission, not really sure what you mean. Like if an officer commits fraternization whether he should be pulled from the mission? Maybe someone more experienced in this area can chime.