• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

6 Navy Commanding Officers Sacked in 6 Weeks

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If you're the CO of a ship and you run it aground, you have no business being the CO of a ship. Same goes for COs that engage in other types of highly questionable behavior such as fraternization, DUIs, or flagrant disregard for safety. Career ender? Yep. 20+ years down the drain? Yep - As it should be. These guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop and are usually under the microscope, so I have very little sympathy when they decide to go off the reservation.

Brett

Running a ship aground would have to be analyzed I would think. The CO of the ship could be asleep in his state room when the ship runs aground. It seems, that the Navy often relieves CO's when this occurs. There's probably more to it when a board looks into the training habits of the crew, past incidences, quals of those involved, etc. As far as screwing the help, rules are rules. Blow everything for a piece of ass? It happens though....VRC-40 Skipper comes to mind there.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I would venture to bet if the investigation showed pilots out of qual, pilot didn't get mandated crew rest, or discrepancies in any of the plethora of other requirements, the squadron CO would be quickly removed due to lack of confidence.

Possibly, depending on the history. It works better for a CO when there are OIC's in the picture. Often the blame can be placed on them. I know an example but I'm going to keep it to myself in this public forum.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Navy eats it own ... big time .... it always has and always will .... :)

But look at the bright side: six more spots at the "top" have opened up for the bright-eyed and bushy-tailed amongst you .... it's the "trickle-up" effect.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe we should also shit can the skipper every time a plane crashes in his/her squadron due to pilot error.

Hey, I didn't write the rulebook. Although there is a diference (IMO), it has happened before. In fact, it happened a just few years ago in a Prowler squadron where the CO got relieved after a mishap involving aircrew error.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RADM Gallagher had CVN-74 when it encountered an unknown/uncharted "high spot" in SD bay as it was getting underway. Literally 30 feet from the pier. Sucked up mud and shut down the plant. We got pushed back into the pier. Done for a while.

A JAG was done...he was cleared and went on to make Admiral...somethings can be recognized as beyond your control.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
A lot of really good points about senior military leadership in this thread. A lot of facets there that I had never considered (why would I have?). Kinda makes me feel sorry for the head cheeses' though. So much sh!t to go wrong and risk getting your balls hung out to dry with 20+ out the window!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RADM Gallagher had CVN-74 when it encountered an unknown/uncharted "high spot" in SD bay as it was getting underway. Literally 30 feet from the pier. Sucked up mud and shut down the plant. We got pushed back into the pier. Done for a while.

A JAG was done...he was cleared and went on to make Admiral...somethings can be recognized as beyond your control.

This also happenend to the Big E some years back in Norfolk and there also was no change of command.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, I didn't write the rulebook.
No, but you did say...

Brett said:
If you're the CO of a ship and you run it aground, you have no business being the CO of a ship
...which is quite an ignorant statement to make. I'm rather shocked that you were the one that said it. You have the experience to know that a zero defect policy is ridiculous.

The now ex-CO of the ARLEIGH BURKE has quite a reputation of being a really great naval officer. Some CO's that shouldn't be CO's do slip through the crack sometimes and when something bad happens, people chime in and say it was only a matter of time. Not in this case. This was a well respected officer within the community and one who knew her shit.

Brett said:
Although there is a diference (IMO), it has happened before. In fact, it happened a just few years ago in a Prowler squadron where the CO got relieved after a mishap involving aircrew error.
My comment was really to point out how ridiculous your comment was. A squadron skipper should no more get the boot every time a plane crashes in his squadron due to pilot error, than a ship's CO should get relieved every friggin time they rub paint with another ship or run aground. Are there, or would there be times when that was necessary (including the firing of squadron skipper)? Yes, of course. But to immediately draw the conclusion that a CO who runs his/her ship aground or rubs paint shows that he/she doesn't have the ability or capacity to effectively command a ship and "has no business being the CO of a ship" is simply ludicrous.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, but you did say...

...which is quite an ignorant statement to make. I'm rather shocked that you were the one that said it. You have the experience to know that a zero defect policy is ridiculous.

The now ex-CO of the ARLEIGH BURKE has quite a reputation of being a really great naval officer. Some CO's that shouldn't be CO's do slip through the crack sometimes and when something bad happens, people chime in and say it was only a matter of time. Not in this case. This was a well respected officer within the community and one who knew her shit.

My comment was really to point out how ridiculous your comment was. A squadron skipper should no more get the boot every time a plane crashes in his squadron due to pilot error, than a ship's CO should get relieved every friggin time they rub paint with another ship or run aground. Are there, or would there be times when that was necessary (including the firing of squadron skipper)? Yes, of course. But to immediately draw the conclusion that a CO who runs his/her ship aground or rubs paint shows that he/she doesn't have the ability or capacity to effectively command a ship and "has no business being the CO of a ship" is simply ludicrous.

I'm just making an observation as to how things work, not whether the policy is a good one. The simplicity of my answer was aimed at the OP (who seemed to have a rather cavalier attitude about groundings and frat.), who's not going to appreciate the nuance which we are now discussing. Generally speaking (and I think/hope that you'd agree), when COs are relieved (whatever the platform), it's for a good reason. Of course, there are exceptions, but if we're going to have a discussion on the subject, we probably shouldn't focus on those. As others have already argued, there are differences between squadron and ship COs, even if we may not all agree on them. So, both flavors of CO get relieved for things that are sometimes beyond their control - that's the breaks, and those COs know that that's a possibility going in. So, what's your point? ;)

Brett

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I would also add that CO's tend to be community favorites - and have often received beneficial detailing and other breaks from their sea daddies along the way. If they pay for that privilege with the occasional quick hook, well, I am inclined to believe that maybe that all balances out in the end (though I am sure there are a few relieved CO's who would not agree).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, both flavors of CO get relieved for things that are sometimes beyond their control - that's the breaks, and those COs know that that's a possibility going in. So, what's your point? ;)
That's my point. Looks like you redeemed yourself.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Now if a squadron has multiple mishaps (CO of HMM-365, on the 26 MEU in 2001/2002 comes to mind) then they'll get relieved.

But the CO of 365 DIDN'T get relieved. At least not before his scheduled rotation, anyway.