• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

A/C Navigation

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
heyjoe said:
........with a division of A-7 Corsairs with HARM (first deployment of this capability so they were eager to see how it did with the real world threat) and A-6 tankers along with an EA-6B and an EA-3B to home in on any electronic emissions.........All in a day's work during the cold war.

cool story.....you most definitely just dated yourself though sir:D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MIDNJAC said:
cool story.....you most definitely just dated yourself though sir:D

LOL, no doubt, but what's with the "sir" stuff?

I became painfully aware of that fact at Tailhook when I visited the Diamondback suite and the nugget RIO who gave me the grand tour and then asked my timeframe in VF-102 was taken aback and said, "Uh, I was 2 years old when you were a nugget". In fact , you hadn't been born yet either......Suddenly, it hit me, but I don't have any gray hair...yet and won't grow up until they make me!!! But that is what makes the legacy of wings of gold so special, the common bond that transcends the generations. It used to happen at reunions and symposiums and other get togethers. Thanks to AW, it happens online 24/7. BZ!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Great story heyJoe. Never put two and two together and realized you were in -102, especially at that time frame. I'm guessing you might know Boomer (now Admiral Boomer). His family was a friend of our family and he gave me a couple of great tours of -102 and the USS America when I was "younger."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
heyjoe said:
LOL, no doubt, but what's with the "sir" stuff?

just a courtesy for the seniors amongst us:icon_tong

funny you mentioned the D'backs....spent a little bit of time in their RR this last summer on cruise, and one of the other mids blew chunks in the back seat/mask of one of their jets...good times.....almost as good as the other guy who came back from an H-60 ride, comes into our stateroom, says "Hey, did any of you guys feel kinda sick on that helo too?"...*awkward silence*..."ummm.....no dude"......"oh....cool....I puked all over the spotter seat"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Great story heyJoe. Never put two and two together and realized you were in -102, especially at that time frame. I'm guessing you might know Boomer (now Admiral Boomer). His family was a friend of our family and he gave me a couple of great tours of -102 and the USS America when I was "younger."

Quiter well. In fact he called me when he was CO of Jolly Rogers and I was in Pentagon after Desert Storm and invited me to take some air-to-air shots because he wanted a magazine cover. He knew I had the contacts to get that for him so I flew with them and took a bunch of photos; one of which made the cover of AvWeek (which is what he wanted). My avatar is from that flight. He's doing quite well these days as Sixth Fleet commander. Cheers, HJ

ip568

None
So here's a question for others. How far have you gone w/out comms from Mom or anyone else. It was 130 miles in a helo for me, and that's not the most comforting feeling.

Around the world, actually, using a sextant, driftmeter, and DR. :)

sextant1.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^That thing used to be a prime target for new NAVCOMs. A little black shoe polish around the eyepiece would go a long way in livening up an otherwise boring transit from ONSTA. :D

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
So here's a question for others. How far have you gone w/out comms from Mom or anyone else. It was 130 miles in a helo for me, and that's not the most comforting feeling.

sextant1.jpg

One of our jets (back in 80s with 2 transplanted LCDRs in it) had an INS platform failure and was flying 180 out (ie away from ship) into a setting sun with no diverts. An alert E-2 noticed it was time for all chicks to come home and they were headed for Africa so they got them straightened out. Of course the Ready Room found out and the jokes started....the best the RIO could come up with as a retort became an entry in the "hard sayings log" (in the dufus category of course). Drum roll...his response was "you're not lost if you don't care where you are......"

The pilot took his licks like he should have and earned a modicum of respect and another chance, He also learned not to trust his RIO for nav without doing a little DR and second guessing. The RIO became even more famous when he said "Don't worry about the SAMs!"...but that is another story altogether, (but related to nav thread).