• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ACCP Question(s)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Some guys got "lucky" with only having a 7 year commitment after wings. And the old helo commitment was 6 years after wings. Of course all that has been changed to 8 years across the board.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I was wondering about that.... Since the rumors I hear about the VP side of things are seemingly the reverse of the rest of the Navy- They can't keep NFO's in, but pilot DH and CO selection is pretty tough these days. Can they legally separate the bonus by community? I know the Marines do it that way, but as I understand it, there is a different MOS for each platform, vice USN where we are all the same 1310s/20s on paper. Just wondering...

MasterBates

I was an 01 guy and I had a 7 year committment. (and took the bonus last year.. Check #2 is sitting in my bank account waiting for my house to sell)

I personally think the only reason they made Helos/Props go to 8 is because if you got extended at all on your sea tour, you could go "I don't think so" when the dissasoch came up.

If I had gone to HT-8 and done a 33 month tour, I would have been within 60 days of MSR at the end of the tour. (and would likely have peaced out vice going back to sea on a longshot for DH).

If I had a 8 year committment, I would not have been in the cat-bird seat like that at the end of my shore tour.

Instead, I'm just on the never-ending JO tours career plan. Is this what being a Flying WO is like (plus the higher pay)? If so, not a bad plan.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess as long as you're OK with never doing any operational flying again.

Brett

MasterBates

If they had the "Professional Pilot" designator/program (forget which it was) that they had back in the day when you could continue to fly, but with no chance of command and you have to stop at CDR and bail at 20ish years, I'd do that in a hearbeat.

If I make the DH screen, I'll be at 14 years straight in the cockpit at the end of my DH tour. If I never make command, I'm cool with that.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
If they had the "Professional Pilot" designator/program (forget which it was) that they had back in the day when you could continue to fly, but with no chance of command and you have to stop at CDR and bail at 20ish years, I'd do that in a hearbeat.

If I make the DH screen, I'll be at 14 years straight in the cockpit at the end of my DH tour. If I never make command, I'm cool with that.

Aviation Duty Officer back in the day.

The closest thing we have to that now is FTS.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so I've read the NAVADMIN and I get the point of the bonus, but I would love some help of those who have BTDT to expound on the pros/cons/timing of applying/accepting the blood money. At least from what I understand, unless you're absolutely of the mindset that you don't want to stay Navy, it makes no sense not to apply for the bonus as early as possible. As a VP NFO, my timing looks like that I would be eligible to apply for it about a couple of months before my shore tour ends. Does this sound right? If so, what does that really obligate me in terms of a dissociated tour and beyond in terms of actual billet? Do I actively have to follow the "golden path?" Also, in terms of getting selected for the bonus, what does that really entail? I see MB's comment of doing everything "wrong," per se, and still getting it, but is that the norm? One of my instructors here basically said as long as you don't set kittens on fire in public you'll probably get selected if you apply.

Of course, this decision for me is 6 years away as an NFO, and obviously a lot will happen Navy wise, and other personal decisions could come into play (namely, if I find McDreamy in the near future and make chilluns on my shore tour), but I'm just curious as to how this plays out in the course of an average career.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so I've read the NAVADMIN and I get the point of the bonus, but I would love some help of those who have BTDT to expound on the pros/cons/timing of applying/accepting the blood money. At least from what I understand, unless you're absolutely of the mindset that you don't want to stay Navy, it makes no sense not to apply for the bonus as early as possible. As a VP NFO, my timing looks like that I would be eligible to apply for it about a couple of months before my shore tour ends. Does this sound right? If so, what does that really obligate me in terms of a dissociated tour and beyond in terms of actual billet? Do I actively have to follow the "golden path?" Also, in terms of getting selected for the bonus, what does that really entail? I see MB's comment of doing everything "wrong," per se, and still getting it, but is that the norm? One of my instructors here basically said as long as you don't set kittens on fire in public you'll probably get selected if you apply.

Of course, this decision for me is 6 years away as an NFO, and obviously a lot will happen Navy wise, and other personal decisions could come into play (namely, if I find McDreamy in the near future and make chilluns on my shore tour), but I'm just curious as to how this plays out in the course of an average career.

Bottom line, too early to be asking these questions. You'll know by the end of your first shore tour whether or not you're in for the long haul. After that, the decision is easy. All this false hand-wringing you see played out here about taking the "blood money" is largely for show.

Brett