• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Admiral Fallon resigns CENTCOM Command

girard55

The article implies that if Fallon stepped down or was fired then that would signal an irreconcilable difference of opinion with the Bush Administration on Iran. Anyone think he purposely waited until the article was published to do this symbolic act? It's theatrical and should get complacent Americans to take notice.

Also, Thomas Barnett has worked with the military and in DOD affairs for a long time. He knows the alphabet soup pretty well and calling Fallon a fighter pilot was simply the best way to explain Fallon to Esquire's readers.

And another assumption I reject: Fallon is smart. He knew the impact this article would make. I doubt he feels Barnett burned him. By the way Barnett describes scenes in the story, it seems that he's been interviewing Fallon and following him around for at least a year. Fallon would not grant that kind of access if he didn't have an idea of the content of the article and its tone.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... And another assumption I reject: Fallon is smart....

And you would know this ... how?? Do YOU know the Admiral??

And make that Admiral Fallon to you.

*EDIT* after re-reading your post, I see you were not saying the Admiral was less than smart -- I guess quite the opposite. Apologies from me for shooting too quickly from the lip. Blame it on your sentence construction, old age, knowledge of the Admiral, or whatever ....

But it's still the "Admiral" to you ...
:)

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The article implies that if Fallon stepped down or was fired then that would signal an irreconcilable difference of opinion with the Bush Administration on Iran. Anyone think he purposely waited until the article was published to do this symbolic act? It's theatrical and should get complacent Americans to take notice.

Also, Thomas Barnett has worked with the military and in DOD affairs for a long time. He knows the alphabet soup pretty well and calling Fallon a fighter pilot was simply the best way to explain Fallon to Esquire's readers.

And another assumption I reject: Fallon is smart. He knew the impact this article would make. I doubt he feels Barnett burned him. By the way Barnett describes scenes in the story, it seems that he's been interviewing Fallon and following him around for at least a year. Fallon would not grant that kind of access if he didn't have an idea of the content of the article and its tone.

I have to wonder what Barnnett was trying to do by publishing that article - he's been around DC long enough to know the impact it would have.

-rep to Barnnett, +rep to Fallon

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... Also, Thomas Barnett has worked with the military and in DOD affairs for a long time. He knows the alphabet soup pretty well and calling Fallon a fighter pilot was simply the best way to explain Fallon to Esquire's readers.

Interesting comment. If Barnett knowingly took liberty with the truth ''...to explain (ADM) Fallon to Esquire's readers ... " it then begs the question "What other liberties with the truth did Barnett take in the article?" You cannot be a bit pregnant, you either publish the truth or you do not.

girard55

I have to wonder what Barnnett was trying to do by publishing that article - he's been around DC long enough to know the impact it would have.

-rep to Barnnett, +rep to Fallon

I see two possibilities: Barnett wanted to profile Adm. Fallon, the new commander of Central Command, and found this juicy story he couldn't help but write. Or, Barnett is feigning a neutral journalistic tone to try to prevent the U.S. from attacking Iran.

I'm interested to hear what others think.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I see two possibilities: Barnett wanted to profile Adm. Fallon, the new commander of Central Command, and found this juicy story he couldn't help but write. Or, Barnett is feigning a neutral journalistic tone to try to prevent the U.S. from attacking Iran.

I'm interested to hear what others think.
Or ... is ADM Fallon fed up w/ the conduct of the Middle East excursion (I know I am -- since 1991/'92) and found a way to bow out w/ his credibility and future "usefulness" intact. But to whom ??? :)

Total speculation: I am totally, absolutely, completely just guessing and spitballin' here -- as I know nothing and have no crystal ball -- and I have utmost respect for ADM Fallon whichever way it went down -- I am sure he had his reasons.

At the end of the day -- it doesn't matter what any of us think.

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
A few prior posts hinted at members having direct experience with ADM Fallon during their careers, so: Has anyone on the forum served with ADM Fallon directly? I would be interested to hear stories and insight. Not looking for anyone to trash the admiral, especially on the day of his retirement, though if it's warranted in your book based on your experience with him then that's up to you. It's just that after reading that journalistic blow job of an article I was wondering how the portrayal of ADM Fallon meshes with people's experiences. I did a quick search of the site and didn't find a whole lot, but like I said, it was quick. Thanks.

Bevo16

pilot
"he's doing what a generation of young officers in the U. S. military are now openly complaining that their leaders didn't do on their behalf in the run-up to the war in Iraq: He's standing up to the commander in chief"​

Anybody know any of these guys? I have not met any.

Renegade One

None
OOOOHHH... Naval Aviator/NFO combo ticket.

Master Like.

MasterBates: Now, think this through...the good Admiral "reportedly" opposes the (Republican) Commander-in-Chief's hardline policy WRT Iran, and "reportedly" has issues with the current (Republican) Commander-in-Chief's "man on the ground" in Irag (General Petraeus). So why do you "assume" that he wouldn't be more "courted" as a potential Democratic VP nominee? In other words, why would Senator McCain want to assume the possible burden of a guy (oops...that's "an ADMIRAL" to me...)with an "assumed" (not proven, only inferred...) habit of bucking the current (Republican) administration's policies/personnel choices in the current conflict?

All that said, I don't know the man (oops...the ADMIRAL, to me...); never served with the man (oops, the ADMIRAL, to me...), and have not an inkling as to his political leanings. I'm just saying...with which side would he more "resonate", especially if there remains any doubt as to which potential new administration is "more qualified to operate on day one".

All that said, he will remain an American hero and a role model for us all. Never forget that he put his ass on the line in several different wars...separated by about 25 years...and was the first NFO to ever wear four stars.

Ah, the joys of punditry...this will be interesting to watch "play out" through the conventions, at least.

V/R, Spike