• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Academy evacuated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That would be like sending SNAs with 40 hours in a T-6 in to fight with an airwing against Iran. They'd just be in everyone's way and most likely get themselves hurt/killed. These guys would need a minimum of a one week course in order to just be field trainable (and legal). By then, this will all be over. I grew up in forest fire country. You don't just round up a posse and say go fight the fire.

DashTwo

When I was a plebe :rolleyes: we were given basic firefighting training both ashore and underway, you know just in case the YP caught on fire. So they're qual'd :D. Then again, USNA is surrounded by water.

robav8r

None
Contributor
That would be like sending SNAs with 40 hours in a T-6 in to fight with an airwing against Iran.

Holy shit that's funny Brett. Imagine the ready room conversations that would ensue after the fact (assuming some/most of them survived). And they would all be untrainable after the "battle" being combat-hardened warfighters and all :)

SlickAg

pilot
That would be like sending SNAs with 40 hours in a T-6 in to fight with an airwing against Iran. They'd just be in everyone's way and most likely get themselves hurt/killed.
I'd hate to be the PERSO that got stuck writing all those awards. At least you'd only have to write one and keep changing the name on the posthumous NAM w/ V write-up in the Awards folder. But I'm pretty sure the Lead Ensign would get at least a NCM w/ V.

Actually, scratch that. They'd write their own awards before they got sent off to the Great Tehran Turkey Shoot. I can see the conversation in the ready room now:
SNA: Sir, we've been told there's a 100% chance of not making it back. Can I write myself up for a DFC?
Lead Ensign: Stand at attention when you address the Class Advisor! Didn't they teach you anything at the Academy? Sir, do you think I could wrangle a Navy Cross?
Class Advisor: I'm going on terminal leave tomorrow, so I don't really give a shit.

2 weeks later, Skipper sees the write-ups, remembers ass-chewing he got from O-6 boss for unacceptable casualty/Class A mishap rate, and bumps them all down to NAMs. Except for the Lead Ensign. He was a real hard-charger. He got a NCM.

Renegade One

None
That would be like sending SNAs with 40 hours in a T-6 in to fight with an airwing against Iran.
Might actually be like sending squadrons of Ensigns and JGs with LESS than 10 hours in T/M/S up against the Kido Butai at Midway. But we've done that before. Then we kept doing it...all the way across the Pacific. The strong survived.
Not that I'm recommending that for fighting forest fires, you understand.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Holy shit that's funny Brett. Imagine the ready room conversations that would ensue after the fact (assuming some/most of them survived). And they would all be untrainable after the "battle" being combat-hardened warfighters and all :)

Just imagine the medals. Combat V! At least three rows per cadet!!!!

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
A couple thousand cadets could do a lot helping out in a support function. At the least; setting up fire camps, stocking water and food for fire fighters, fueling trucks, and other various tasks could be done by high schoolers, let alone some of America's finest youth. I am willing to bet that evac shelters would love the help also. Train them as firefighters? No. But help is help

Reactions: Fog

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
That would be like sending SNAs with 40 hours in a T-6 in to fight with an airwing against Iran. They'd just be in everyone's way and most likely get themselves hurt/killed. These guys would need a minimum of a one week course in order to just be field trainable (and legal). By then, this will all be over. I grew up in forest fire country. You don't just round up a posse and say go fight the fire.

In other words, Brett, don't even try? I like the option of mobilizing all hands at Fort Carson & the AFA and sending their asses to help fight the thing in whatever capacity the on-scene commander thinks best. Hell, I was just trying to jest the Air farce a little, not start the next World Pissin' Contest.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In other words, Brett, don't even try? I like the option of mobilizing all hands at Fort Carson & the AFA and sending their asses to help fight the thing in whatever capacity the on-scene commander thinks best. Hell, I was just trying to jest the Air farce a little, not start the next World Pissin' Contest.
Yes, FOG, don't even try. The risk is not worth whatever minimal benefit might be achieved.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Counterswarm!

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
I would imagine there's a good amount of staff and cadets who are there to oversee and instruct the incoming freshmen or doolies, if the program hasnt already started

jmcquate

Contributor
As easy as it is to rag on the AF, from what I understand the fire isn't contained- and a few thousand cadets aimlessly attempting to dig trenches etc in a attempt to save their property while the surrounding area is engulfed in flames probably isn't going to work out very well. No one shits on Chesty Puller for retreating in Korea when it was the most prudent thing to do- why are we shitting on the AF for evacuating personnel when there's a large fire raging uncontrollablly at the doorstep of USAFA? What it the fire was at the doorstep of your base burning out of control... Would you rather leave and get your family to safety or die trying to save a building that can be replaced anyways?
Retreat?.......It was an advance in a different direction.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I see your point. But with some leadership from actual firefighters there's a lot that can be done with a pretty minimal amount of risk.

I think a lot of you guys are doing what we chide those without experience for: talking out of your asses on a subject you know nothing about. An un-contained wildfire is not the place for a group of untrained people; least of all in mountainous terrain, no humidity, high temperatures, and high winds.