• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF Academy evacuated.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Seems like if they wanted find a job for them, the USAFA gang would be better put to use manning evacuation centers, or something more out of the line of fire. (Ha! See what I did there?). There may be a role for them to serve in this mess, but amateur fire-putter-outter is probably not it.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I would imagine there's a good amount of staff and cadets who are there to oversee and instruct the incoming freshmen or doolies, if the program hasnt already started

One of the articles I read said their incoming class reports today.

jcj

The incoming class is reporting - they are reporting in at a field house in the cadet area which is out of the immediate fire danger. There are plans to move BCT to a large high school complex further out of the fire area if they have to evacuate the Academy.

jcj

Many years ago (about 1978 I think) the Memphis, Tennessee Fire & Police Departments went on strike twice. There were many buildings in Memphis that burned and a couple of firefighters were subsequently convicted of arson. NAS Memphis (Millington) was then an active NAS and had a whole bunch of enlisted aviation "A" schools so they brought down a bunch of enlisted students who had recently been through boot camp (with a few days of basic shipboard firefighting) and put them on Memphis Fire Engines (with MFD supervisors leading, driving, operating the pumps, etc) - they didn't go in any burning buildings or anything like that but they manned hose lines & kept some fires from spreading to other buildings. Of course these were structure fires, not a fast moving wildfire so they could keep a safe distance.

Reconjoe

Back in 2003 aboard Camp Pendleton there was a pretty bad fire that was claiming a good chunk of the base (luckily mostly ranges) but it was creeping ever too close to 52 area...Infantry Training Battalion. They had zero reservations about pulling almost every class on board (18-21 year old's fresh from boot) and telling us "Get inside the house and get your pack, E-tool, waterbowls, and some chow". A short truck ride later and we were all digging up vegetation and trench lines with the fire maybe a good 3 miles or so away. Guess those ORM powerpoints and MarineNet courses are finally showing an impact higher up....

oh and
No one shits on Chesty Puller for attacking in a different direction in Korea
Fixed if for ya ;)

Renegade One

None
Many years ago (about 1978 I think) the Memphis, Tennessee Fire & Police Departments went on strike twice. There were many buildings in Memphis that burned and a couple of firefighters were subsequently convicted of arson. NAS Memphis (Millington) was then an active NAS and had a whole bunch of enlisted aviation "A" schools so they brought down a bunch of enlisted students who had recently been through boot camp (with a few days of basic shipboard firefighting) and put them on Memphis Fire Engines (with MFD supervisors leading, driving, operating the pumps, etc) - they didn't go in any burning buildings or anything like that but they manned hose lines & kept some fires from spreading to other buildings. Of course these were structure fires, not a fast moving wildfire so they could keep a safe distance.
THAT...is a GREAT goddam story...and I'm reasonably certain it was never told. Thanks for that!

Renegade One

None
Back in 2003 aboard Camp Pendleton there was a pretty bad fire that was claiming a good chunk of the base (luckily mostly ranges) but it was creeping ever too close to 52 area...Infantry Training Battalion. They had zero reservations about pulling almost every class on board (18-21 year old's fresh from boot) and telling us "Get inside the house and get your pack, E-tool, waterbowls, and some chow". A short truck ride later and we were all digging up vegetation and trench lines with the fire maybe a good 3 miles or so away...
Once more...we do what we can do when we can. Good story...thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys have to admit that theres a big difference between guys who have been through boot camp and some firefighting training, and a bunch of wet behind the ears 18 year olds who are away from home for the first time and have zero military training. I appreciate the stories, but I think we've shown that the concept would not make sense under the current scenario.

jcj

You guys have to admit that theres a big difference between guys who have been through boot camp and some firefighting training, and a bunch of wet behind the ears 18 year olds who are away from home for the first time and have zero military training. I appreciate the stories, but I think we've shown that the concept would not make sense under the current scenario.

Absolutely agree. between 10 & 30 woodland firefighters are killed in line of duty every year - some by burnovers, others by heart attacks, vehicle crashes. google "wilderness firefighter deaths" you'll see just how dangerous it is.

I was a municipal firefighter for a few years (not Memphis but a suburb) - we were pretty safe unless we were in a burning building. We did a few big grass fires (nothing like the Colorado fire) & even those can get away from you if conditions are right. A couple of my buddies wanted to go be smoke jumpers but frankly they just weren't tough enough to do that.

No way I'd put untrained people in front of that Colorado fire. My hat's off to those who do that. Interestingly enough, the California Department of Corrections has wilderness firefighting teams made up of (presumably low risk) inmates - but I understand they are very well trained & do good work.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I know a guy who ran those prison teams, they were not "well trained", more like unskilled labor. "Dig here...trabajo aqui!"

Reactions: Fog