• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF General advises India to pick F-16 over F-18

snake020

Contributor
http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=5806

US Gen advises India to pick F-16 over F-18

BANGALORE: A US general has recommended the Indian air force choose Lockheed Martin’s F-16 over Boeing’s F-18, saying it was important for the two countries to fly a common aircraft. With the two US manufacturers competing for the lucrative Indian fighter plane contract, Major-General Eric J Rosborg said choosing the F-16 would enable India’s air force to build “an enduring relationship” with its US equivalent, which already flies the plane. “With a common aircraft comes a common understanding of how to operate, logistics, training,” he said in an interview at the Indian air show that ends Sunday in this southern high-technology hub. “The F-16 is our choice.”

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Hmmm ... AF Gen = AF aircraft

What I dont get is the emphasis on flying a common aircraft when both aircrafts are flown by us.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if he planning on getting a job with Lockheed Martin after he retires......;)

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
I was just at the LM factory in Texas last spring...the were rolling off the final F-16s from the line before they turned exclusively over to the F-35, and none of them were heading for the US Air force. If India chooses the F-16, it would not be the same as what the AF files.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just at the LM factory in Texas last spring...the were rolling off the final F-16s from the line before they turned exclusively over to the F-35, and none of them were heading for the US Air force. If India chooses the F-16, it would not be the same as what the AF files.

Export models rarely are.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=5806

US Gen advises India to pick F-16 over F-18

BANGALORE: A US general has recommended the Indian air force choose Lockheed Martin’s F-16 over Boeing’s F-18, saying it was important for the two countries to fly a common aircraft. With the two US manufacturers competing for the lucrative Indian fighter plane contract, Major-General Eric J Rosborg said choosing the F-16 would enable India’s air force to build “an enduring relationship” with its US equivalent, which already flies the plane. “With a common aircraft comes a common understanding of how to operate, logistics, training,” he said in an interview at the Indian air show that ends Sunday in this southern high-technology hub. “The F-16 is our choice.”

Of course, the last few times the USAF visited their Indian "equivalents", they were spanked hard. Perhaps USAF is looking to get them in same aircraft to learn more from them:icon_smil ...Indian Air Force is serious about their aerial prowess and usually likes to build and modify their own aircraft (usually under license for tech transfer).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....US Gen advises India to pick F-16 over F-18......
Sorry boys .... having fought both .... repeatedly .... when properly flown ... I would go with the F-16 as my mount.

No dog in this hunt ... just one man's opinion based on first-hand experience.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Sorry boys .... having fought both .... repeatedly .... when properly flown ... I would go with the F-16 as my mount.

There's a lot more to the package than just bfm ability. And even in bfm I have never failed to get the first shot off on a viper.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

Ya. 16 is great in a two circle rate war. Bleed him down and watch what happens.

Like Huggy said, first shot usually goes to the Hornet. Fighting with sticks and stones anyway. We won't even talk about Helmet and 9X.

Besides. To my knowledge the last Hornet rolled off the assembly line back in the early 90's. Unless their talking Super, and I didn't think we were exporting those.

Lawman

None
Besides. To my knowledge the last Hornet rolled off the assembly line back in the early 90's. Unless their talking Super, and I didn't think we were exporting those.

Boeing has been working there butt off to secure orders. There currently in process with selling 24 F models to the Aussies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Like Huggy said, first shot usually goes to the Hornet. ...
What can I say ???... the F-16 was tougher than the F-18's back-in-the-day ... but then again, the early F-16 drivers were Century-series and F-4 retreads from Vietnam ... and all basically excellent sticks.

The F-18 drivers were primarily A-7 retrofits (not the most impressive ACM guys from the get-go) and Nuggets ...

....One circle?? Two circle??? Who cares if it's 100 circles??? The F-18 was easier (on average) to kill for the wily A-4 Adversary.

It's too hard for me ... you do the math.

Huggy Bear

pilot
What can I say ???... the F-16 was tougher than the F-18's back-in-the-day ... but then again, the early F-16 drivers were Century-series and F-4 retreads from Vietnam ... and all basically excellent sticks.

The F-18 drivers were primarily A-7 retrofits (not the most impressive ACM guys from the get-go) and Nuggets ...

....One circle?? Two circle??? Who cares if it's 100 circles??? The F-18 was easier (on average) to kill for the wily A-4 Adversary.

It's too hard for me ... you do the math.

You knew the secret weapon vs. f-18s (or any navy type), just force them to turn right. :icon_mi_2