• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF General advises India to pick F-16 over F-18

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hadn't heard about their Flankers. The couple of studs I've flown with all told me Mig 29s. I'm surprised to hear that one failed out recently. He rides those guys hard and they're very good at "getting it" in the program. Of course, having a bunch of prior flight time helps, which they all do.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So Bunk.....is Capt Gupta standing there beside himself? (obscure movie reference).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I hadn't heard about their Flankers. The couple of studs I've flown with all told me Mig 29s. I'm surprised to hear that one failed out recently. He rides those guys hard and they're very good at "getting it" in the program. Of course, having a bunch of prior flight time helps, which they all do.

I thought they were all Mig-29 pilots as well but 2 weeks ago, Capt Gupta and I were talking in my office and he said they were going to go Flankers. You should see when those guys go in his office, they snap to attention while clicking their heels. Of course, he is a Navy Captain afterall. BTW, which squadron do you fly with?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently they've been having some of the same teething problems that anyone would expect with standing up a new Aircraft in service, but they have been having more problems then any previous customer of the same aircraft. They actually refused to accept a batch of Flankers from Russia after the previous batch had severe engine problems and operational shortfalls. I remember reading some blirp on it from an aviation Rag and I want to say it was Combat Aircraft, but till I track it down Im not gonna sell off on any links that come from just a quick google seach of forums.

Seriously, links if you got 'em........:confused:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yeah, you will have to help me with this one, not ringing a bell.
The Indian dude in Number 5 is alive (Short Circuit). For some reason, I always thought it was funny when he said "I am standing here beside myself". 20 years latter, whenever I hear an Indian accent this line immediately pops into my head.

"Oooooh, her pants are blazing for you" and "I am sporting a tremendous woody" are some of his other good lines in the movie.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well heres one that will help illustrate some of the teething problems they have apparently been having. There was also talk of radar problems but I havent been able to find a substantiated source on that one other then forums.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2003/09/06/stories/2003090605730100.htm

Read closely, they are talking about the Su-30K's that India got in the interim while waiting for the more advanced Su-30MKI's. I don't believe the IAF flies Su-30K's anymore, just the more advanced MKI version (a rough comparison between the two would be like the F-15B and the F-15E, same basic airframe but very different planes).

I owuld like to read about the radar problems though, with combined Russian, French and Israeli avionics the integration must have been interesting.

Lawman

None
I owuld like to read about the radar problems though, with combined Russian, French and Israeli avionics the integration must have been interesting.

From what I have seen/read on the net is seems they are having a lot of the same problems that the Brits were having with Typhoon. I dont doubt with that many types of electronics integrated the time between failures has to be pretty prone to difficulties.