• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF General advises India to pick F-16 over F-18

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...When I was at the RAG, there was talk of the Indians coming to observe, etc.

No chit, Senor ... those Indians .... they are some tough dudes.

sittingbullrh2.jpg

snake020

Contributor
Careful with that picture A4s, the PC police might come after you. The usage of an Indian chief symbol on coins/gifts etc for SNCOs making Chief Master Sgt is eroding thanks to today's kinder gentler AF.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
You knew the secret weapon vs. f-18s (or any navy type), just force them to turn right. :icon_mi_2

Any time I hear "right to XXX" the next words out of my mouth are usually "unable." ATC gets sick of me turning left the long way every time.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Boeing has been working there butt off to secure orders. There currently in process with selling 24 F models to the Aussies.

Yes they are. I should know, as I have covered some of the duties of my bud who is over in india right now on a roadshow.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Road show to India = "good deal"? Not on your life dude. India is one of the absolutely worst locations on the globe!

Now a road show to Australia = absolutely "great deal"!

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Hmmm ... AF Gen = AF aircraft

What I dont get is the emphasis on flying a common aircraft when both aircrafts are flown by us.

The Indian Navy flies the Sea Harrier, and will to continue to do so because of its VSTOL carrier. I think what they are referring to is AF-AF commonality.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Indian Navy flies the Sea Harrier, and will to continue to do so because of its VSTOL carrier. I think what they are referring to is AF-AF commonality.

They will be flying Mig-29's and Flankers as well being they bought the Russian Carrier...whatever it's called. My cohort at NETSAFA is CAPT Gupta, the Indian Navy liason who was a Sea Harrier Pilot. The only fixed wing foriegn pilots going through Whiting right now are the Indians and he said this batch of students are all Flanker bound. Of course this info is completely worthless to this discussion. I'm done :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only fixed wing foriegn pilots going through Whiting right now are the Indians and he said this batch of students are all Flanker bound. Of course this info is completely worthless to this discussion. I'm done :)
Must be nice to go through Primary knowing you're gonna select jets . . .

Lawman

None

At the same time given the number of problems that have leaked out about the Indian Flankers (not to mention the ones that didnt) it cant be that great.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the same time given the number of problems that have leaked out about the Indian Flankers (not to mention the ones that didnt) it cant be that great.

What problems, I haven't heard about serious problems. Are you thinking of their MiG-21's? They are infamous for their horrible crash rate. Can you provide any links?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

The one Indian stud I went through ground school with said they still have to get jet grades via the Navy cutoffs. If they do, they get the Flanker, if not, he said it's kind of up in the air. So it's not entirely guaranteed.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The one Indian stud I went through ground school with said they still have to get jet grades via the Navy cutoffs. If they do, they get the Flanker, if not, he said it's kind of up in the air. So it's not entirely guaranteed.

This is true. They still have to meet the 50 NSS criteria to make it through. Capt Gupta just sent an Indian student home for not making the grade. Of course it still has to be nice knowing if you make the cut, you know exactly what you're going to fly. The Indians have a bit of an advantage when going primary being they go through primary in India as well. When they get to advanced out here, they tend to do a bit worse that our average student going through the Strike pipeline....as I'm told by Capt Gupta.

Lawman

None
What problems, I haven't heard about serious problems. Are you thinking of their MiG-21's? They are infamous for their horrible crash rate. Can you provide any links?

Apparently they've been having some of the same teething problems that anyone would expect with standing up a new Aircraft in service, but they have been having more problems then any previous customer of the same aircraft. They actually refused to accept a batch of Flankers from Russia after the previous batch had severe engine problems and operational shortfalls. I remember reading some blirp on it from an aviation Rag and I want to say it was Combat Aircraft, but till I track it down Im not gonna sell off on any links that come from just a quick google seach of forums.