• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF ordering inspections due to lax standards

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
@Swanee getting the meat sweats from his OCS/TBS days. 😅

We are all thinking two things- 1: what problem is ACC leadership expecting to solve with this when we're already having a retention problem? And 2: if the ANG units play ball, what are they going to do with the 50% of us that only have flight suits as a uniform?

This smells like an AF GO visited a Marine Base and talked to some battalion commanders about how they run things.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
We are all thinking two things- 1: what problem is ACC leadership expecting to solve with this when we're already having a retention problem? And 2: if the ANG units play ball, what are they going to do with the 50% of us that only have flight suits as a uniform?

This smells like an AF GO visited a Marine Base and talked to some battalion commanders about how they run things.
What really makes that funny is that he was on an Air Wing base.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dumb and won’t fix anything, but on the flip side, if something like this seems onerous and outrageous to you, you chose the wrong line of work. Not a windmill worth tilting at.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Dumb and won’t fix anything, but on the flip side, if something like this seems onerous and outrageous to you, you chose the wrong line of work. Not a windmill worth tilting at.
You're looking at this from an AD perspective.
I have a hard enough time getting our DSGs to come in and fly and stay current. The airline pilots lose money to come on orders.

Telling them they're going to have a uniform inspection on day 1 when they get here is the way I get a guaranteed middle finger to the face. "Hey, about those 69 days of MPA orders, I'm not coming in to stand a uniform inspection so I'm giving them back." And that's how the ACC four star loses combat effectiveness with a knee jerk garrison policy.

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
what are they going to do with the 50% of us that only have flight suits as a uniform?
Don't you guys iron your flight suits?

If that's the only uniform you got, then I would expect zero Irish pennants. I mean, really make it pop for the inspector. 😄

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Inspections come in different grades and degrees. Beyond the initial boot canp/OCS type stuff, in the fleet the AMI was the big one...type of stuff where operations are shut down and people are fired if your maintenance program is fucked up.

On the flip side, the Wing had an Inspection program for the S-shops (can't remember what the Inspection was called). Working in Ops in the FRS as the pilot training officer, we prepped for this wing Inspection...dotting I's and crossing T's with paperwork and training jackets.

I was an O-3 and welcomed the O-4 Wing inspector into our spaces. He pulled out his checklist.

Inspector: "Do you properly maintain the APR jackets per OPNAV xxxx and Wing order xxx?

Me: "Yes sir, here let me pull out a few of these jackets"

Inspector: "whoa whoa, I didn't ask you to show me"

At that point I realized the Inspection was going to go just fine, and that he was just a disgruntled Major on the Wing staff. I think i almost got a NAM out of the deal.😁

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Could have visited numerous places, the grooming and uniform standards where I work are often ignored with little consequence for several services but particularly the USAF and Army.