• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AF ordering inspections due to lax standards

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I guess I got into the game after a lot of this stuff was sorted. But, I do know that before they figured out how to make the cockpit NVG compatible, there were filters and tape to mitigate. Not ideal.

Your description of the NVG's being bulky and awkward is what, i think, explains how the NVG manual's TTPs remained stale, after everyone was using ANVIS-9's.

I'm curious to hear what your experience with those early generations of NVGs was like from your perspective, and from a crew perspective.
We wore the same goggles the grunts were using, The pilots had to sign for goggles for the whole crew under threat of death and dismemberment if they were lost or damaged. A lot of time was spent at the squadron level trying out filters and diffusers for the lighting, Only one pilot wore the goggles on approach so the other could take the controls in case of vertigo or wash out. I had to take them off to check on fluid levels because they made the site gauges appear empty. The scenario we were working up to was an emcon/lights out FARP mission. This had never been done in the KC130 world prior. Made for some long nights but was some interesting stuff for a wrench turner to be involved in.
At the time FLIR was the GeeWhizz technology and I think the then newer Whiskey Cobras and AV8B's had been using aviation specific night vision devices for a couple of years.

hscs

pilot
I'd argue that the example I cited was purely USMC generated, and had nothing to do with Goldwater-Nichols. There wasn't much joint about the heliborne planning for the maneuver in this case.
Agreed. Was more discussing the central air comment.

croakerfish

pilot
Peace time military is back and better than ever. I have flown with Reserve commanders and they are already bitching about dealing with this stupidity on top of their real world problems.
Did it ever really go away? I heard plenty of legendary stories of this kind of nonsense going on in the 2000’s.