• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Problem! Any ideas or input would be great!

Tomodachi

pilot
You might want to look into taking CLEP exams to knock out some credits via examination. After a quick google search UoW accepts CLEPs http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/APIB.php

It is a possibility that you could use some of the CLEP exams to satisfy requirements that you are needing and enabling you to finish early.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Are you still in the military? I thought you could get a waiver up to 48 months for active duty individuals. I will be turning 29 more than half way through OCS if accepted (due to completion of college) so my recruiter is asking for an additional waiver for a little longer and I hope I can get it. I think you might be too far so I agree with everyone else. You will have to probably switch majors, take more classes, or accept one of your other offers.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you still in the military? I thought you could get a waiver up to 48 months for active duty individuals. I will be turning 29 more than half way through OCS if accepted (due to completion of college) so my recruiter is asking for an additional waiver for a little longer and I hope I can get it. I think you might be too far so I agree with everyone else. You will have to probably switch majors, take more classes, or accept one of your other offers.

He just got picked up for BDCP so that should indicate his status. At any rate, you can always check his prior posts:

OK, a little about myself before I get to the point.
I spent 6 years in the NAVY as a BM2, I got out in order to go to school and become an officer. I did everything right when I was in the NAVY and I am model citizen on the outside. School is going great, my major is Physics and my minors are Math and Military Science, with a GPA of 3.5. I am loaded with NAVY and civilian awards, and I think that I am doing everything right to set myself up for a successful come back to the NAVY. However, I was not able to get a recruiter to talk to me, the one that I did get to talk to was through a friend of mine. Unfortunately, this recruiter is not in my district and he is retiring soon, so I don think he is taking this too seriously.
I just want to know if anyone here knows how I can get a recruiter to be more interested in what I have to offer? I have contacted my district recruiter at least five times in the past year. Every time I get the same "I will pass your information to the recruiter and we will call you back ASAP". Well I guess you can tell what the outcome of that one is!!!

Please, any advise will be very helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

V/R

Ivan

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
He just got picked up for BDCP so that should indicate his status. At any rate, you can always check his prior posts:

Thanks for the clarification Joe.

Edit: Duh... Should have paid attention to the BDCP..... Had a blonde moment... Sorry

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Concur on the CLEP tests. Also, you might want to look into online classes. It won't effect your GPA if you transfer them from another school, so load up on them and bust your butt. I know that Liberty University Online has classes that run on a quarter system, but are still 3 credits. They are supposed to be more intense than residential classes, but I took one and found the opposite.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Although my degree cert was for May I was commisioned in February. I persued a letter from my University stating that I had "completed all my degree requirements" and the Navy said that was good enough for them. If you have enough credits for a degree in something else then get it and move on. Physics? Technical degree? That and a dollar will by you a cup of coffee when the guy next to you in the ready room is a Poly Sci/History/P.E. major and is doing the same thing you are.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
OK, sorry guys I have not been following this post since Saturday, I was away plying soccer on Sunday.
I see a lot of good pointers on here, thank you for those.
I will try to do all that I can to graduate on time, in fact I am signed up for full time summer school, and I am going to try and test out of some Physics credits.
If all of that doesn't work out, I am going to take the SNFO spot, like I already said it will be an honor to serve in no matter what field. Plus, I do realize the situation with recruiting and how competitive everything is. Just getting selected was a great accomplishment for me, especially for BDCP. My recruiter said that there were like 100 applicants and only 10 got picked up.
I know some of you think that I am probably getting greedy here and should just take it and shut up, but I am a very competitive individual and sometimes I do wear my emotions on my sleeve, which is how this thread was born. However, I get over that really fast and I focus on the task at hand.
Also, someone mentioned something about kicking butt in API and getting a chance to switch. I have read about that on here a few times and I know that some people have done it. Is this a realistic option though, considering my age? Or do they not care at that point?

Thanks again for all the input.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
BM2 said:
I guess I just wanted to cry about it on here for a little bit and get it over with.

I'm a prior guy who thought I wasn't eligible for SNA due to vision or age, so I set my sights on SNFO. I was picked up in FY06 for SNFO, and later found out that I would have quallified as a SNA. I wasn't bitter, I was grateful to be given the opportunity I had; and I still am. Shoot for what's in reach, focus on the next step ahead and do your best. Good luck, boats.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Although my degree cert was for May I was commisioned in February. I persued a letter from my University stating that I had "completed all my degree requirements" and the Navy said that was good enough for them. If you have enough credits for a degree in something else then get it and move on. Physics? Technical degree? That and a dollar will by you a cup of coffee when the guy next to you in the ready room is a Poly Sci/History/P.E. major and is doing the same thing you are.
I get what you are saying, but my problem is that I have a shit load of credits in all types of different fields. When I first started they made me take all kinds of low level courses to see if I am capable of doing college, that was because my high school credentials were very poor and I had been out of HS for like 6 years at that point, it was so bad that had it not been for my CO I would not have gotten into the university in the first place.
By the time I graduate I will have almost 140 credits, but most of them are in the 100, 200 level, and this university requires a certain number of credits to be in the 300, 400 levels, which is what I am doing right now.
So, I will talk to them tomorrow to see if I can do something about that and just graduate with something like general studies or whatever.

ryan1234

I was sort of in a similar boat as you... just not accepted yet. Saw the writing on the wall about degree completion vs. age. Ended up taking 21 credits last semester and working full time (and flying). It was really, really tough.. a lot of nights ending at 3am only to get up early before class started. I tried to mix in some online classes... because I could do them on the weekends or at 2am. Worked out ok. Task overload for sure... but if that's what you want, you can't let anything stop you.

Only taking like 18 credits this semester (just because of the course schedule)... in the summer (my last) will take about 18 as well. It will give just enough time to get to OCS, and get commissioned before I turn 27.

Good luck either way.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I'm a prior guy who thought I wasn't eligible for SNA due to vision or age, so I set my sights on SNFO. I was picked up in FY06 for SNFO, and later found out that I would have quallified as a SNA. I wasn't bitter, I was grateful to be given the opportunity I had; and I still am. Shoot for what's in reach, focus on the next step ahead and do your best. Good luck, boats.

Thanks man!
I am not bitter and never will be. The NAVY has been nice to me, and I have accomplished a lot with their help. So, just getting back in will be a thrill for me. I am looking forward to whatever it is that I am going to do. I was just a little disappointed, now I am over it and moving forward. I will try to do a couple of things on my side, if that doesn't work out, I know that I will be perfectly happy to be an NFO.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I was sort of in a similar boat as you... just not accepted yet. Saw the writing on the wall about degree completion vs. age. Ended up taking 21 credits last semester and working full time (and flying). It was really, really tough.. a lot of nights ending at 3am only to get up early before class started. I tried to mix in some online classes... because I could do them on the weekends or at 2am. Worked out ok. Task overload for sure... but if that's what you want, you can't let anything stop you.

Only taking like 18 credits this semester (just because of the course schedule)... in the summer (my last) will take about 18 as well. It will give just enough time to get to OCS, and get commissioned before I turn 27.

Good luck either way.

Yep, that is what I have scheduled for next fall semester. I had to get a permission to carry that load, we will see what happens. I am hoping that they will let me graduate in September after summer school so I won't have to do that. If I do, it is going to suck really bad, but like you said if you want something bad enough, you will do anything to get it.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
So are you saying that for six years you made NO academic progress? If so, you might want to stop saying "my entire life" because that's not true. Just a couple of classes spread out throughout that period would have prevented the problems you're having now.

It's too late for you to change it now but maybe you can use this experience to help someone out in the future.
You are kidding right?
When I was in I took some classes, on the boat on my 10 month deployment. With my designation as an enlisted I didn't really have the time to take any classes. I was on the boat at 0600 and I left at 1800 everyday. I was more concerned with making a name for myself at that point anyways. I compensated for my shortcomings in high school with hard work. Because the age limit was still 31 at the time I knew I had enough time to finish school and get SNA, but that changed.
I don't know how you can say that I should stop saying that, in fact every chance I got I was studding the ACT/SAT books, and all physics books that I could get my hands on in order to get better with academics. I didn't need it at the end, but I wasn't just sitting on my ass dreaming about flying. I don'y know if you know what BMs do on a gator but it is not sitting in an office reading books, we didn't exactly get free time to go to college.