• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Age Problem! Any ideas or input would be great!

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I have to admit, I stopped right here. I've known too many people (including single parents) finish their degrees on active duty to care to hear your excuses.

As you have learned, enlisted experience is NOT a requirement to become a pilot but a college degree is.
You really think I don't know that.
I tried to get into college after High School, there were no takers. I applied to every school in my state but I couldn't get in, so I joined the NAVY after I found out about the STA-21. That didn't work out because I was not a citizen, so I got out and went to school with the help of my CO. I am not making any excuses, I don't know how you people got that. I don't have anything to excuse myself about, I did things the way I did because at that time they were the best options for me.
I just don't see how working hard towards something is an excuse!

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Apparently you know it but you don't think it should apply to you. I could go back and forth with you all day but the tone of your posts says that no matter what I or anyone else tells you, you'll find some reason why you had it so hard and you should be granted an exception. Couldn't get into college? Cry me a river. Couldn't take college classes? Not buying it. By your own admission you did a lot of academic work and "I didn't need it at the end." Was that the best use of your time? Looking at the position you've put yourself in, apparently not.

Seriously all I said was it sounded like you hadn't done anything for six years and instead of saying yes or no you launched into a tirade. Nobody on this site (or at Big Navy) is out to screw you so stop acting like it. You've gotten some good pointers here about moving up your graduation and such. Instead of spending time here arguing, get started on that shit.

I think you and I got off on the wrong foot here.
I don't think that these things don't apply to me or shouldn't and I for sure don't think that the NAVY wants to screw me, hell they have given me a chance to do something with my life.
I was just looking for an advice from people in the community that now how these things work. I didn't want to start an argument with anyone about anything, but on here it always turns out that way. If this was face to face you would know that my tone is not one of desperation or one that deserves all the negative comments on here.
I have truly realized my situation and I will be OK with whatever happens.
So, lets move forward on a good note.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think you and I got off on the wrong foot here.
I don't think that these things don't apply to me or shouldn't and I for sure don't think that the NAVY wants to screw me, hell they have given me a chance to do something with my life.
I was just looking for an advice from people in the community that now how these things work. I didn't want to start an argument with anyone about anything, but on here it always turns out that way. If this was face to face you would know that my tone is not one of desperation or one that deserves all the negative comments on here.
I have truly realized my situation and I will be OK with whatever happens.
So, lets move forward on a good note.

The advice is, you're done. Everyone told you that you were being ridiculous. But go ahead and email the CNO. Be sure to CC JOPA everywhere. We always need a good laugh.

Tomodachi

pilot
You said you need upper-level (300/400) credits. According to the Excelsior College website, Excelsior College Examinations are accepted by the University of Wisconsin. There are over 50 exams that you can take that can give you upper-level credit. However, I don't believe they offer exams for Math, however there are examinations for pretty much everything else. Check with your academic adviser will work with you on taking some of these and I can lead you in the right direction toward studying for the exams. I am studying for 2 myself to finish my bachelors degree.

EDIT:

BTW, University of Wisconsin also administers DSST exams, so I can only imagine that they will accept them for college credit. There are DSST exams available that award upper-level credit, which is determined by the American Council on Education (ACE) who UoW should look up to. You should talk to your counselor about these options because they are too good to pass up. Don't give up on your endeavors to become a pilot just because you cant finish your degree in time, trust me, there are options!

tonio

OK, sorry guys I have not been following this post since Saturday, I was away plying soccer on Sunday.
I see a lot of good pointers on here, thank you for those.
I will try to do all that I can to graduate on time, in fact I am signed up for full time summer school, and I am going to try and test out of some Physics credits.
If all of that doesn't work out, I am going to take the SNFO spot, like I already said it will be an honor to serve in no matter what field. Plus, I do realize the situation with recruiting and how competitive everything is. Just getting selected was a great accomplishment for me, especially for BDCP. My recruiter said that there were like 100 applicants and only 10 got picked up.
I know some of you think that I am probably getting greedy here and should just take it and shut up, but I am a very competitive individual and sometimes I do wear my emotions on my sleeve, which is how this thread was born. However, I get over that really fast and I focus on the task at hand.
Also, someone mentioned something about kicking butt in API and getting a chance to switch. I have read about that on here a few times and I know that some people have done it. Is this a realistic option though, considering my age? Or do they not care at that point?

Thanks again for all the input.

I kind of accomplished what you're trying to do. I took 5 classes last summer and did about 36 hours of college credit through clep and dantes in the fall. (mainly for my CCAF) If you are going to try and test out of some of your classes I highly recommend degreeforum.net. There is a lot of great information and feedback on the tests that are out there. Good luck.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
You said you need upper-level (300/400) credits. According to the Excelsior College website, Excelsior College Examinations are accepted by the University of Wisconsin. There are over 50 exams that you can take that can give you upper-level credit. However, I don't believe they offer exams for Math, however there are examinations for pretty much everything else. Check with your academic adviser will work with you on taking some of these and I can lead you in the right direction toward studying for the exams. I am studying for 2 myself to finish my bachelors degree.

EDIT:

BTW, University of Wisconsin also administers DSST exams, so I can only imagine that they will accept them for college credit. There are DSST exams available that award upper-level credit, which is determined by the American Council on Education (ACE) who UoW should look up to. You should talk to your counselor about these options because they are too good to pass up. Don't give up on your endeavors to become a pilot just because you cant finish your degree in time, trust me, there are options!
Thanks for looking into that. I have an appointment with my advisor on Monday and we are going to figure this thing out.
I will keep this thread updated. Who knows? It may serve as an example of what NOT to do, to some newer candidates in the future.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
The advice is, you're done. Everyone told you that you were being ridiculous. But go ahead and email the CNO. Be sure to CC JOPA everywhere. We always need a good laugh.

I was not going to write to the CNO!!! I am not that stupid! I am not going to lie though, for a moment I did think about it, but as you can see it was a bad idea.
I am not DONE with anything just yet! In fact, I am just getting started!!!
I will be done when I am at the END of API (at the top of my class) and they tell me you can't have that spot. Until then, I hold the keys to my future, and regardless of what people may think about me on here I am gonna keep on fighting.
So, if you think that is funny, well you have that right.
However, there is an old Eastern European saying that I like: "he who laughs best, laughs last."

Tomodachi

pilot
Thanks for looking into that. I have an appointment with my advisor on Monday and we are going to figure this thing out.
I will keep this thread updated. Who knows? It may serve as an example of what NOT to do, to some newer candidates in the future.

Great hopefully you guys can figure something out. Are you keeping your recruiter updated so the Navy wont give up your pilot spot in BDCP? Definitely keep us updated.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Great hopefully you guys can figure something out. Are you keeping your recruiter updated so the Navy wont give up your pilot spot in BDCP? Definitely keep us updated.
Yes!!!
My OR said that if I can graduate in time, i.e. this May or September, it won't be a problem to get the SNA spot, since in that case I won't be BDCP anymore.