• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1 Brownout Crash

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Takeoffs in dusty conditions are not as frequent an issue as on landing, but if you're power limited on liftoff, e.g. a Huey or Cobra with full gas and weapons, your ITO may involve being in the dust cloud for an extended period of time close to the ground. That's a bad thing.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Takeoffs in dusty conditions are not as frequent an issue as on landing, but if you're power limited on liftoff, e.g. a Huey or Cobra with full gas and weapons (or a phrog with 3 pax and a pallet of feather pillows) and, your ITO may involve being in the dust cloud for an extended period of time close to the ground. That's a bad thing.

Fixed it for you. ;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
http://www.agustawestland.com/products_photo.php?id_product=7&id_cat=1

Scroll down down the pic labeled AW-101-11 to see the "donut" effect that AW is so proud of. It actually works quite well, though obviously wind direction/terrain effects can affect it.

EDIT: actually, the next pic in the line is better.

Have they actually done something with the airflow pattern to give a clear area in the vicinity of the helo, or is that just a photo shot at just the right time?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Happy accident of the blade tips. I've only tried it in the most benign conditions, but the guys using it in the desert are very happy.

Steve Davies

Aviation Writer & Photographer
The video was from the Israelis, based on what I saw from another website. Um, guys, anyone want to turn off the engines?

The markings are not correct for it to be an Israeli aircraft. Also, you can hear American accents in the latter part of the video.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
That video was of an Army AH-1 in desert Storm (Kuwait). It's frequently used as a training aid.

We've have kind of beaten the dust using a doppler/GPS derived velocity vector which displays on te MFD below 60KGS. Basically at 100', (or just prior to the dust enveloping the cockpit, you set you descent angle and attitude and adjust you pitch to attain a zero forward ground speed in just prior to touch down using the velocity vector. The technique is used several times a night. %99.9 of the landings it works great. The other %.1, we rip off a landing gear or hit a large submerged obstacle. The technique also takes alot of hours at the controls to perfect and maintain. I'd say we probably spent 5-6 hours a month in dusty locations soley practicing assault landings.

We have the "hands off" approach and landing capability, but it's never used, since the obvious hazards of several hovering Chinooks at an objective far out weighs the dust hazards.

Skid, you need to come over and fly the killer egg...you know we just aquired "one of your kind."

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Skid, you need to come over and fly the killer egg...you know we just aquired "one of your kind."

Actually two, one temporary ( great dude) and one permanent (lots of guys scratching their heads on the permanent one and the decision process).

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Which 60s have HUDs?

The B model can do it with the hover needles, but I never saw a HUD in a B or F.
H and S have it. Dunno about R.

[mild threadjack]
I don't care what anyone says, the lanyards on the NVDs are an egress hazard. Hell, they even caught on the cyclic as I was trying to get my HUD on last night.
[end threadjack]

phrogpilot73

H and S have it. Dunno about R.

[mild threadjack]
I don't care what anyone says, the lanyards on the NVDs are an egress hazard. Hell, they even caught on the cyclic as I was trying to get my HUD on last night.
[end threadjack]
Our Flight E guys attached velcro to them in the back, so if they got hung up the velcro made it a break-away lanyard...