• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AH-1 Brownout Crash

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Actually two, one temporary ( great dude) and one permanent (lots of guys scratching their heads on the permanent one and the decision process).

He was an LTC, now he's a WO1, he must be laughing all the way to the flight line.

Stearmann4

None
^^ Same thing can be done in the -60, using the HUD velocity vector

I've flown the HUD velocity vector is a 60' and it's nothing like a GPS/Doppler derived solution. There's no lag in the vector display. We don't use a HUD, our symbology is on an 8" x 12" color, multi function display. The vector lengthens or shortens with reference to a graded GS scale. So, you know at a glance what your GS is without having to reference a different corner of the MFD. Also, an IVSI is included in the display which tell you (by color) when you're exceeding the acceptable descent rate designated by current aircraft configurations, power available, and environmental data.

It's been a life saver in OEF, where you can start an assault approach, but you have to intentionally land to a specific LZ in the dust, since terrain will almost always preclude any sort of rollout to out run the cloud. Even worse if you're landing a 4 ship at the same time.

Stearmann4

None
Are you kidding? He'll maintain "save pay" which makes up the difference. If that's not still in effect, he'll at least retire with LtCol base pay. More, as soon as he graduates from Green Plt, he'll be able to receive the 25K 160th CWO bonus. he might be doing better than he was before. And...he'll have no responsibilities other than flying for the forseeable future. I'm not sure it get's any better than that.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
the lanyards on the NVDs are an egress hazard. Hell, they even caught on the cyclic as I was trying to get my HUD on last night.
quote]

Then take them off.....

The HUD is a worse egress hazard. It won't break away until the NVGs do. Fine in the states, but overseas I'd like to keep my goggles with me.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So I believe I've seen this video before - and if memory serves it's an Army AH-1; either an S or F model - circa 1990 in Saudi Arabia or Turkey. Single T-53 motor if I remember...

Classic brown out on t/o. UGH! I guess they didn't have the Tq to pull straight up and get out of the dust.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Actually two, one temporary ( great dude) and one permanent (lots of guys scratching their heads on the permanent one and the decision process).

So I'm assuming by "Killer Egg" you're talking A/MH-6. Are those babies single or dual piloted? Have always wondered....

Stearmann4

None
They have two pilot stations...whether they're both occupied depends on what they're doing.

bobbybrock

None
Stearmann,
Did you guys get to do any B-Nav in the Little Birds? It is a nice aircraft. The Big Army dropped the ball when they passed up on the MELB( Mission Enhanched Little Bird). I guess they had to keep some relationship going with Bell.

Stearmann4

None
Every pilot gets checked out in and does about 25 hours of nav training in the MH-6Cs. The MH/AH-6Ms stay in the gun and assault companies.They keep about 6 of them at Ft Campbell for all the staff aviators to keep current in. I know some guys who log 150-200 a year in those things just flying day/VFR for lunch and sight seeing. I'm just a hater...its an attempt to soften the blow of a staff tour.

It's a sweet flying helicopter. But if you came from something big and heavy with AFCS/SAS, it's quite humbling for a few hours. I don't I was in trim for the first 3 hours.

I agree, the MH/AH-6 would've been a nice, easy to procure la combat proven, light helicopter for the Army. Instead, they made it hard...again.