• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AIM-54 Phoenix???

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLER

For those who have flown with the AIM-54---

I’ve always been intrigued by the Phoenix, but with it being retired, do any of you guys out there miss it? As far as capabilities, was it a good idea for the NAVY to phase out the missile or should it have been upgraded to be affective in combat today? I'm an AF guy who has absolutely no idea about the weapon and was wondering if some of you more experienced NAVY Pilots/Navs<---(ya, I know...spoken like a true AF guy) could weigh in.

Thanks again gents,

THRILLER

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Missiles

The AIM-54A/C Phoenix...aka "The Buffalo"
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navyweapons/a/pheonixretire.htm
W.Buffalo.jpg

It's time has come and gone...

phoenix8xg.jpg

Cheers,
G

ps ...Bunky and B.....keeping it real.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
THRILLER said:
I'm an AF guy who has absolutely no idea about the weapon and was wondering if some of you more experienced NAVY Pilots/Navs<---(ya, I know...spoken like a true AF guy) could weigh in.

Your terminology is incorrect even for the AF lol... anyone who flies backseat in a point-nosed Chair Force aircraft is a "WSO" (pronounced... Wizz-O... ugh)

No expert here... but I doubt in this day and age anybody thinks the Phoenix has anything crucial the AMRAAM is missing out on...

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Wait, you're allowed to call yourself an "AF guy" when in ROTC? What the hell is a, "nav"? A-4s, where are you, I'm scurred.

Schnug, who is that dashing gent with the Super Troopers 'stache?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Your terminology is incorrect even for the AF lol... anyone who flies backseat in a point-nosed Chair Force aircraft is a "WSO" (pronounced... Wizz-O... ugh)

Don't like WSO? that's what Rhino NFOs are called ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
Wait, you're allowed to call yourself an "AF guy" when in ROTC? What the hell is a, "nav"? A-4s, where are you, I'm scurred.

Schnug, who is that dashing gent with the Super Troopers 'stache?
Yeah, where do I gets me one of those stylin' international orange skull caps?

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Good information at the Air Combat Information Group about the F-14/AIM-54 combo as used by Iran during the Iran-Iraq War.

http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_210.shtml

New information and research has come up with 130 confirmed kills and 23 probables by IRIAF F-14A's. At least 40 of those were scored with the AIM-54 and there are several documented cases on one Phoenix destroying multiple fighters.

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Well I sure as hell dont miss loading those damn things on the belly station. Uuuuuuuuuugh my bung is curdling just thinking about it

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the real take away from that site is the 1 X MIG-21, 1 x MIG-23, 3 X MIG-25s and 1 X SU-20 that fell victim to the AH-1J with 20mmand rockets (didnt even count the Helo kills). Do you think those jet pilots will ever show their faces in a club?
Imagine what an AH-1W with a Sidewinder and a first world pilot would do. A huge caveat to this is that they were Iraqi pilots who are like clubbing baby seals.

Un-repentant threadjacker

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Yeah, where do I gets me one of those stylin' international orange skull caps?

Brett

Test pilot school....

Status
Not open for further replies.