• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AIM-9X Video

pdx

HSM Pilot
Does this debate ever stop? Just curious.

Sure, it's called a helicopter.
pd524514.jpg

Seriously, the only time I hear this debate is on AW.

Helo pilots learn FO jobs (radar, sonar, weapons systems, mission management, etc) but we can still take the controls. Not a bad deal in my opinion.

Jay

The plane you flew and the plane you fly are ALWAYS the best planes out there..........even new guys know that.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Really? Why don't you name me ALL (note the unnecessary capitalization) of the FAC(A)s in your little-single seat squadron? You did say EVERYTHING, right? I mean, when one capitalizes, that's a pretty exclusive term, right? Honestly, I'd be curious to hear what lot JV Hornets you have, because this could get pretty amusing....

you're right, there is one mission the JV Hornet can't do that a "Super" can ... we can't give gas

Marine single seat hornets are doing FAC(A) now

LOL... you guys are the biggest Kool-Aid drinkers on the planet

Once you realize you have a "lighter" radar, RWR, FLIR, jammer, and MIDS box... call me and tell me what a great advantage that is :)

And being faster would be awesome if you only had supercruise... or the fuel to make it tactically feasible to put it to use. Nothing cuter than watching a JV Hornet show off its speed for 10 seconds, then realize it's bingo :)
doesn't the majority of "Super" currently in the fleet have the APG-73? also, don't know what your getting at with the FLIR, JV hornets can carry the ATFLIR, as well as the superior LITENING II pod. you got my interest up with the MIDS box, didn't know there was a difference in the two, i'll have to look that one up. as for the lighter RWR & Jammer, it's true, and NAVAIR won't put the "Supers" RWR & Jammer into the JV hornet because then not only would the JV hornet be superior in performance, it would then be the same in avionics ... at half the cost of a "Super". the avionics on the Super, except the new radar, will fit on the "JV" hornet ... APG-73 (which is on most JV's), RWR, FLIR, AIM-9X, Helmet, MIDS, jammer, CIT

when Squid said it's faster than the Super Hornet, that's saying a lot since the JV Hornet is one of the slowest fighter/attack aircraft on the planet. both mil power acceleration & max power acceleration, the JV hornet is superior than the Super. take those canted pylons off the "Super", and it'll probably do a lot better, but then again you won't go into combat without those pylons

except for the higher bring-back capabilty, what makes the "Super" better than the "JV" hornet is that it's new ... everything works, very little maintenance issues to deal with. because it's in production, parts are easy to come by if there are maintenance issues ... unlike the "JV" where it is not uncommon to have jets down for months until the broke part can get remanufactured. also, because everything works, they will get airborne FMC ... unlike the "JV", where you're lucky to get airborne with a working RWR, Radar, or FLIR, if you get airborne at all

all that trash being said, i wish we had Super's in the Corps, then our flight schedules wouldn't be written for 4-6 jets ... with the way the Corps is trading in squadrons for jets, i'm interested in seeing how many hornet squadrons will be left by the time the F-35 shows up ...

S/F