• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Medal Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtjester

I'm researching a project. Does anyone know the highest number of individual Air Medals received? Highest number of Flight/Strike Awards?
Thanks.

By the way, is eveyrone aware of the new Navy regulations on devices for multiple awards?

Attachments

• Air-Medal-3-V-12.gif
    Air-Medal-3-V-12.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 157

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
If you're seriously researching this, you should probably try to get in touch with someone at the 5th Fleet awards desk.

snake020

Contributor
Whatever the record is, it'll be broken as soon as the kids at Nells playing UAV video games start getting Air Medals to go with their "flight pay" :rolleyes:

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Whatever the record is, it'll be broken as soon as the kids at Nells playing UAV video games start getting Air Medals to go with their "flight pay" :rolleyes:
Nothing like getting an Air Medal and celebrating with the wife that night with a Cirque du Soleil show before going up a couple G at Bellagio's no limit table.:icon_rage

BlkPny

pilot
If you're serious about this, I would recommend looking into Viet Nam-era records for the Navy Seawolves, and for the Army the WO's that flew for the First Air Cav.

Not only do they HAVE the medals, you can rest assured that they EARNED them. The latter means more than the former.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're serious about this, I would recommend looking into Viet Nam-era records for the Navy Seawolves, and for the Army the WO's that flew for the First Air Cav.

Not only do they HAVE the medals, you can rest assured that they EARNED them. The latter means more than the former.

HAL-3's well-earned numbers:

Over 78,000 missions
131,000 flight hours
4,000 plus confirmed kills with another 4,200 listed as "probable"
6,400 sampans confirmed destroyed and another 2,300 "probable"
Over 4,000 structures destroyed and 5,500 plus damaged

While numbers and some statistics may vary slightly, the men of HAL-3 were awarded:

5 Navy crosses
31 silver star medals
2 legion of merit medals
5 Navy and marine corps medals
219 distinguished flying crosses
156 purple hearts
101 bronze star medals
142 gallantry crosses
Over 16,000 air medals
439 Navy commendation medals
228 Navy achievement medals
6 presidential unit citations
2 meritorious unit commendations
1 Vietnam meritorious unit commendation
LINK

MasterBates

It's been said before, but I think the UAV guys are no more deserving of them (air medals) than a Shoe or Bubblehead who launches a TLAM.

Important job? Probably. Ass on the line? NO.

MasterBates

I'm not saying the SWO and Sub guys are not deserving of Medals. I just don't think the Air Medal is justified for them, or the AF UAV guy sitting in a box.

BlkPny

pilot
Just to stir the pot......

While at EUCOM I met a Chief at the Recce Center who was wearing a DFC ribbon. He was a radar operator on a picket ship off the coast of North Viet Nam. Two days after he arrived on the ship, but before he was authorized to actually stand his watch alone, two other operators left on emergency leave, leaving the ship short-handed for qualified operators, so the skipper said "You're up, Chief".

In six days he vectored Navy F-4's to three Mig kills. As I remember, one or two of the kills were made by some relative of Johnny Cash, I think.

He had blatantly broken the rules, but still did rather well. Adm Zumwalt dealt with it in his typical style. He issued both the skipper and the Chief a 90 day letter of reprimand. At the end of 90 days the letters were removed, and the Chief was awarded a DFC. It was pushed through with support from several VF squadrons.

Was it appropriate?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Just In six days he vectored Navy F-4's to three Mig kills. As I remember, one or two of the kills were made by some relative of Johnny Cash, I think.

I think it was a LT Cash who flew with VF-33 and shot down a Mig-21.

Status
Not open for further replies.