• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air Medal Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to stir the pot......

In six days he vectored Navy F-4's to three Mig kills. As I remember, one or two of the kills were made by some relative of Johnny Cash, I think...

That would be Roy Cash who downed a MiG flying with VF-33 and he was a relative of the man in black:

10 July 1968 MiG-21 F-4 VF-33/ CVA-66 LT Roy Cash, Jr.

As to awards for Controllers, OSCS Larry Nowell got a DSM as noted below:

Served afloat aboard destroyer Hamner, guided missile destroyer Mahan, and guided missile cruiser Chicago. Gained early and extensive experience in the Navy’s Tactical Data System (NTDS), qualifying as Air Intercept Controller (AIC) and Supervisor (AICS). Taught NTDS at Fleet Training Centers Dam Neck, VA and Point Loma, CA. While aboard Chicago 1970-74, participated in extensive air intercepts during the Vietnam War. Personally controlled over 100 live engagements for both Navy and Air Force fighter aircraft. Credited with assisting in 13 enemy MIG aircraft kills and with saving 4 friendly F-4 fighters, resulting in the first award of the Distinguished Service Medal in U.S. Navy history to an enlisted man for combat action His knowledge, experience, and teaching ability caused him to attend the Navy Fighter Weapons Tactical School (TOPGUN) and to extensively rewrite the Navy’s curricula for AIC, AICS, NTDS AIC, and NTDS AICS to incorporate aviation and surface techniques

Nowell5.jpg

Nose

pilot
I'll talk to my UAV boy, there is a chance he was yankin' my chain, but I think he was serious. He used to be the DO out in Nellis. He told me that they guys there at Nellis were getting S/F Air Medals.

As for medals - when one of us here on the board says something - I tend to take it for what it's worth. Most guys here seem to know what they are talking about. I'm glad Heyjoe pointed out that the OS Chief got a DSM and not a DFC. Two very different awards. P'haps we should research a bit better before posting...

I'm wondering about the comments about shoes and bubblers - are they REALLY getting air medals for TLAM strikes or is it some other, more appropriate award.

As for the sub guys and the shoes, I agree that both jobs require sacrifices and a certain amount of danger. Are you telling me that doing a TLAM shoot puts you in more danger? That is the point of Strike/Flight Air Medals.

From an Air Force Web site:
The Air Medal is awarded to U.S. and civilian personnel for single acts of heroism or meritorious achievments while participating in aerial flight ...

The required achievement is less than that required for the Distingushed Flying Cross, but must be accomplished with distinction above and beyond that expected of professional Airmen. [seems like mebbe they don't follow their own guidelines]

The theory is that while Aviation is a bit dangerous, flying into a hostile fire area raises the stakes. If I jump out of my jet over Dare County in North Carolina, it's dangerous. If I jump out of my jet North of Basrah, the stakes are a little higher. My point is, doing the routine in any operational military command is more dangerous than what the average (Hey)Joe faces going to work, but are the stakes raised for the shoes and sub dudes and are medals appropriate? We want to award people for extraordinary service, not for just doing their job. If we start awarding medals for "sacrifice," doing our jobs, and being away from home, they will start calling us by a new name: The United States Air Force.

Nose

BlkPny

pilot
As for "different medals", he is also a different Chief. The one I met that had the DFC was at EUCOM in 72-73. I know it was a DFC, because I told him he was masquerading as an AF 1LT. The AF 0-5 in the recce center failed to see the humor in that.

The dates of Lt Cash's kill don't match with this Chief's duty off of the coast. "Perhaps a little research before posting.....". Yeah, right.

The Chief I'm talking about had a DFC, not a DSM. I know a DFC when I see one.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for "different medals", he is also a different Chief. The one I met that had the DFC was at EUCOM in 72-73. The Chief I'm talking about had a DFC, not a DSM. I know a DFC when I see one.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was merely showing that the controllers were highly valued and this guy was the most revered of them all. He got the precedent setting DSM normally given to Admirals and on rare occasion to a Captain or individual with standout contributions like Jimmy Thach.

I only included the date of Cash's MiG kill to confirm it and that he was a relative of Jimmy. That was well known when he was Commander, Fighter Wing One at Oceana.

S.O.B.

pilot
I think I'm going to puke. The correct answer to the question is Hell No.

I don't know how to set it up but I would like to see an opinion poll on the CPO mess to be completed by officers that have at least had a complete see tour. I bet you would find the results to be less than favorable.

phrogpilot73

I don't know how to set it up but I would like to see an opinion poll on the CPO mess to be completed by officers that have at least had a complete see tour. I bet you would find the results to be less than favorable.
Having had 3 sea tours (not "see" tour, not sure what that is... ;)), I can tell you that in the USMC, probably 75% of the SNCO's are worth their weight in gold... It's a sliding scale - 90-95% of the SSgts are, and by the time they're MGySgt/SgtMaj it's down to about 50%... Just my own opinion. I think that the Chief's Mafia would probably be close...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That would be Roy Cash who downed a MiG flying with VF-33 and he was a relative of the man in black....
AND a great guy to work with -- very unassuming for a "typical" (whatever that is) F-4 jock , one of the most solid F-4 drivers on the ball at night I ever saw .... he was with the VF-213 Black Lions when I knew him:
Personally, this is what I think of todays music industry:
roypt5.jpg
A4sForever said:
Now that's just too weird ... as that's what Johnny's 1st cousin, Roy, thought about my LSO debriefs when I was waving him!!! :D

Actually ... Roy was a real gent, an outstanding Naval Aviator, an F-4 driver, wore cowboy boots with his flight suit, and
whenever I dropped into the VF-213 Ready Room to debrief his pass .... he would whip around and proclaim, in his best, deep, booming, near-perfect imitation "Johnny voice" :

... "Hello, I'm Roy Cash ... "

MasterBates

I was lucky to have two kick-ass Senior Chiefs for my Det Chiefs.

I have also seen the damage a shitbag can do. For better or worse, the goat locker seems to protect their own, no matter if he is a dirtbag or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.