• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Air-to-Air Missile performance (including Blue on Blue)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Those of you who are regular "All Seahawk" CAD hazrep readers might have read this...but while doing an ammo crossdeck between a CVN and an AE we went to pick a 6 pack of sparrows. When we picked the load it fouled (one of the legs came off the box), so we set it back down. Once the pendant was released from my helo, the box slid off the round down of the carrier and straight to the bottom of the ocean.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
but while doing an ammo crossdeck between a CVN and an AE we went to pick a 6 pack of sparrows.

Don't feel bad, my crew had a ALQ-99 jettisoned for us over the side. There's your instant class A.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't feel bad, my crew had a ALQ-99 jettisoned for us over the side. There's your instant class A.

Ouch, plenty of Sparrows out there (even more we can borrow from USAF if we et into a shooting match), but ALQ-99s.....not so many. So who gets to do the JAG(s)?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
So who gets to do the JAG(s)?

Ship (TR) got to do the whole thing since we were chained to their deck. An improperly spotted F/A-18 exhaust on the pylon cooked th CAD off. Handler got the blame.

phrogpilot73

I feel both your pain... My first deployment, a LITENING pod fell over board... We were still answering questions about it 2 years later...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, I had no idea that missiles cost so much money!

Early AMRAAMs approached cost of Phoenix before production ramped up and they got serious improvements in manufacturing process.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
Early AMRAAMs approached cost of Phoenix before production ramped up and they got serious improvements in manufacturing process.

Ya I was just surprised by the high cost of both the AIM-9's and the Phoenix missiles...crazy! Thanks Joe.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Ship (TR) got to do the whole thing since we were chained to their deck. An improperly spotted F/A-18 exhaust on the pylon cooked th CAD off. Handler got the blame.

I've just got this mental image of everyone watching it fall over board, then suddenly everyone points their finger at the guilty party.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I've just got this mental image of everyone watching it fall over board, then suddenly everyone points their finger at the guilty party.

About right. Well, that and the blistered paint on the pylon and six feet of catwalk that was gone after 1000 lbs of pod hit it.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
About right. Well, that and the blistered paint on the pylon and six feet of catwalk that was gone after 1000 lbs of pod hit it.

Damn I didn't know those pods weighed that much. I can't imagine how many times and by how many different people that man must have been yelled at by.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn I didn't know those pods weighed that much. I can't imagine how many times and by how many different people that man must have been yelled at by.
Yup. 1000lbs for the pods, 2200lbs for a full drop. 3 pods, 2 drops, full bag of gas == one 56,800lb Prowler. And that's not even MGW, which is 61,500lbs!

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
When I was at my old unit we launched a two ship flight of F-16's with two 370gal Tanks, and two TER's loaded with BDU-33's (not sure if they have the same name in the Navy). When the planes came back for recovery one of them was totally clean. Turns out there was some computer glitch and when the pilot pickled a single drop it really emergency jettisoned everything.

Wasn't a really pricey mishap (the TER's were the most expensive part) but I can only imagine what went through the pilots head the moment everything came off his wings!

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
When I was at my old unit we launched a two ship flight of F-16's with two 370gal Tanks, and two TER's loaded with BDU-33's (not sure if they have the same name in the Navy). When the planes came back for recovery one of them was totally clean. Turns out there was some computer glitch and when the pilot pickled a single drop it really emergency jettisoned everything.

Wasn't a really pricey mishap (the TER's were the most expensive part) but I can only imagine what went through the pilots head the moment everything came off his wings!

Yeaaaah... right.