• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft selection

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
I know I got a long time before the pipeline is even started but I'm curious if you can select T-44s then go to the reserves instead of active duty. I'm willing to fly anything the navy can bestow but can I go into the reserves if I wanted to? I'm wanting to get Clippers or be part of a naval cargo squadron or the like. Thanks

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I thought you were going for MiG-29s? If that's not your choice any more, what % get Tupolevs?

Jublov

Currently in training in the L-39, the most qualified for the MiG-29, want to get An-124s. I'm not about that bomber life, I love helicopters a lot but Jets would be nice.

Jublov

Also what about Sea Dragon helos? I see more Seahawk people than dragons.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know I got a long time before the pipeline is even started but I'm curious if you can select T-44s then go to the reserves instead of active duty. I'm willing to fly anything the navy can bestow but can I go into the reserves if I wanted to? I'm wanting to get Clippers or be part of a naval cargo squadron or the like. Thanks

No. It's happened in the past, but that was extraordinary circumstances. A RIF in the early '00's and the Navy decided to send a bunch of Advanced bubbas to ResRons instead of just kicking them to the street. All of a sudden we were seeing j.g.'s with VR patches at the club...wtf? Who are those guys?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, get in line. You're not the only one.

Pags

N/A
pilot
No. It's happened in the past, but that was extraordinary circumstances. A RIF in the early '00's and the Navy decided to send a bunch of Advanced bubbas to ResRons instead of just kicking them to the street. All of a sudden we were seeing j.g.'s with VR patches at the club...wtf? Who are those guys?
True. But it was weirder due to overmanning of YGs. The deal was that you'd go to VR for two years and then roll to SELRES or IRR. I was offered the two year VR deal out of Primary and said no thanks. A good buddy of mine was offered it out of prop advanced and took it. He managed to extend past the two years in to an FTS billet and is now on his DH ride with a VR.

Jublov

Yeah, get in line. You're not the only one.
But why is it so sought after, you'll think that most guys wanna go AD, rather than being a "weekend aviator", I currently reside near KNZY, and I see the Clippers come in, I can't imagine someone wants to fly those, I'd be still happy being in a rotor wing aircraft irregardless, the navy all has fine aircraft, and if I get through OCS, flight school, I'd most likely select helos and not ask what percantage get jets :D

Jublov

Most likely to see Jublov there hiding amongst the crowd, but if I truly want a cargo based aircraft, should I go Air Force honestly? I'm choosing navy because of the helo mission, my dad was in the USN, and I always admired an aviators lifestyle compared to the other ones out there.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Most likely to see Jublov there hiding amongst the crowd, but if I truly want a cargo based aircraft, should I go Air Force honestly? I'm choosing navy because of the helo mission, my dad was in the USN, and I always admired an aviators lifestyle compared to the other ones out there.
Do you want to land on boats? If yes, go Navy. If not, do not go Navy.

Jublov

Russian+aircraft+carrier+Admiral+Kuznetsov+Admiral+Flota+Sovetskovo+Soyuza+Kuznetsov+Sukhoi+Su-33+Flanker-D+MiG-29K+Varyag+Su-27K+j-15+russian+navy+plan+%25284%2529.jpg

Do you want to land on boats? If yes, go Navy. If not, do not go Navy.
Why not?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Don't go with a service based on the airplane you want. Your desires and life requirements (spouse, kids, dog, etc) will change. You will meet instructors from all communities and something different might start looking good. Your eyes may go bad and now you're looking at being an NFO or not flying at all. The culture of the service should be why you go with a particular service, not a particular job you're fixated on right now.

Jublov

Don't go with a service based on the airplane you want. Your desires and life requirements (spouse, kids, dog, etc) will change. You will meet instructors from all communities and something different might start looking good. Your eyes may go bad and now you're looking at being an NFO or not flying at all. The culture of the service should be why you go with a particular service, not a particular job you're fixated on right now.

If Pilot doesn't work out then NFO would be my second choice, still great communities, anything NAVAIR and not RUSNAVAIR. But if my eyes go bad somehow can I pay for laser eye surgery on my own and get all the required paperwork? I'm pretty dead set on pilot but NFO would still be an an amazing career I wouldn't turn down. If I get pilot, I'm not one of those jet jockeys more of a helo guy, I rather do a helo mission than cargo honestly (though if I was offered jets I wouldn't turn it down). I know "Officer first, pilot second" I did the math and figured I much rather be a naval officer, than an Air Force one.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
There are a plethora of people on here who have paid for LASIK as civilians and gotten picked up for SNA, so yes it is definitely possible.