• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aircraft selection

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
No. It's happened in the past, but that was extraordinary circumstances. A RIF in the early '00's and the Navy decided to send a bunch of Advanced bubbas to ResRons instead of just kicking them to the street. All of a sudden we were seeing j.g.'s with VR patches at the club...wtf? Who are those guys?

And that became something less than desired. Some squadrons wouldn't ever allow the JOs to sign for planes, and in others the JOs pissed everyone off by having an over the top sense of entitlement with meltdowns over the thought they could be up for an IA.

From what I've heard from the SELRES guys I've met over the years: The reserve squadrons were saying "never again" to a program like that due to the lasting impression they got from the bunch of JOs who volunteered for the program.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
@Jublov your internet persona reminds me of a dude I used to fly with. 1st gen Ukrainian immigrant, good dude one on one but arrogant and obnoxious personality when it came to anything flying related (I think he was an ERAU guy which explains a lot of it). Real proud of his Russian/Ukrainian heritage.

Rubbed the IPs the wrong way in primary, got pulled aside a few times and told to adjust his attitude and mellowed out a bit, had strong stick skills so selected tailhook. Everyone was glad to be rid of him.

Gets to jet advanced where his personality flares up again like a case of the Herp, rubs all the strike fighter IPs the wrong way and ends up being "drafted" E2/C2. He's not missed when he leaves jet land.

Arrives at E2/C2 FRS with his personality in full bloom, alienates the C2 guys who say "sorry no slots available (ever)" and ends up going E2s. Pushes hard for E2Ds because he thinks they'll be his golden ticket back door into the VFA community after his sea tour, gets it and then thanks in no small part to his ties back in the old country, the fact that Vladimir isn't our friend anymore and him making some very public very anti- USG statements over the whole Ukraine vs Russia thing, and made some trips back home too and now can't get a security clearance level needed to fly the damn plane.

So now he's a winged aviator with an 8 year commitment and no community to fly in, partially because by opening his mouth he alienated pretty much everyone who could have been in a position to help him out along the way to the point where they just rather be rid of him all together.

I only mention this because you're at a point where you could turn out to be either: a good dude who knows when to hold back saying counter productive things and have the support of your peers and leadership or,

An otherwise good dude who has the personality as subtle and pleasant as a herpes outbreak that alienates everyone who interacts with him on a professional level.

Hopefully what way you pick turns out to be benifical for both you and everyone you interact with.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If Pilot doesn't work out then NFO would be my second choice, still great communities, anything NAVAIR and not RUSNAVAIR. But if my eyes go bad somehow can I pay for laser eye surgery on my own and get all the required paperwork? I'm pretty dead set on pilot but NFO would still be an an amazing career I wouldn't turn down. If I get pilot, I'm not one of those jet jockeys more of a helo guy, I rather do a helo mission than cargo honestly (though if I was offered jets I wouldn't turn it down). I know "Officer first, pilot second" I did the math and figured I much rather be a naval officer, than an Air Force one.
Whew, I'm glad you got it figured out. A lot has changed since yesterday, when you wanted a VR squadron or Air Force cargo. Keep us up to date tomorrow when you decide to be a "jet jockey", we are all hanging on the edge of our seats.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
@Jublov your internet persona reminds me of a dude I used to fly with. 1st gen Ukrainian immigrant, good dude one on one but arrogant and obnoxious personality when it came to anything flying related (I think he was an ERAU guy which explains a lot of it). Real proud of his Russian/Ukrainian heritage.

Rubbed the IPs the wrong way in primary, got pulled aside a few times and told to adjust his attitude and mellowed out a bit, had strong stick skills so selected tailhook. Everyone was glad to be rid of him.

Gets to jet advanced where his personality flares up again like a case of the Herp, rubs all the strike fighter IPs the wrong way and ends up being "drafted" E2/C2. He's not missed when he leaves jet land.

Arrives at E2/C2 FRS with his personality in full bloom, alienates the C2 guys who say "sorry no slots available (ever)" and ends up going E2s. Pushes hard for E2Ds because he thinks they'll be his golden ticket back door into the VFA community after his sea tour, gets it and then thanks in no small part to his ties back in the old country, the fact that Vladimir isn't our friend anymore and him making some very public very anti- USG statements over the whole Ukraine vs Russia thing, and made some trips back home too and now can't get a security clearance level needed to fly the damn plane.

So now he's a winged aviator with an 8 year commitment and no community to fly in, partially because by opening his mouth he alienated pretty much everyone who could have been in a position to help him out along the way to the point where they just rather be rid of him all together.

I only mention this because you're at a point where you could turn out to be either: a good dude who knows when to hold back saying counter productive things and have the support of your peers and leadership or,

An otherwise good dude who has the personality as subtle and pleasant as a herpes outbreak that alienates everyone who interacts with him on a professional level.

Hopefully what way you pick turns out to be benifical for both you and everyone you interact with.

Sir, I don't plan to behave like that, I wanna work together as a team, I understand you're giving me pretty solid advice (which I thank you for). But if anything, if there's no slots of said aircraft, it wouldn't be awful to me, more so of a shrug and oh well, kind of like a restaurant, or the happy medium, however I don't think a happy medium exists in Naval Aviation. Because every aircraft is unique, I rather take something unexpected and be happy then know about it and be bummed. I will listen more often, and be careful what I say, grab a book, and focus on college for now and getting accepted into the program, what i end up flying can wait, now school. Thank you for wisdom words Zippy.

BtbrSN4CcAA1Aa9.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
True. But it was weirder due to overmanning of YGs. The deal was that you'd go to VR for two years and then roll to SELRES or IRR. I was offered the two year VR deal out of Primary and said no thanks. A good buddy of mine was offered it out of prop advanced and took it. He managed to extend past the two years in to an FTS billet and is now on his DH ride with a VR.

Were you told straight up you'd have to convert to SELRES? The guys in my squadron had the option to convert to FTS (to be honest, I thought they were already 1317s, but I may have that wrong). Both opted to go do other things and become SELRES, but my understanding was that it was sold to them as an option to continue active duty in some flavor.

And that became something less than desired. Some squadrons wouldn't ever allow the JOs to sign for planes, and in others the JOs pissed everyone off by having an over the top sense of entitlement with meltdowns over the thought they could be up for an IA.

From what I've heard from the SELRES guys I've met over the years: The reserve squadrons were saying "never again" to a program like that due to the lasting impression they got from the bunch of JOs who volunteered for the program.

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. Was this VR-centric?

I know the HCS guys had trouble getting quals, which held them back, but on the HSL side, guys made HAC just like a regular JO.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
@mad dog , clearly your penchant for self-portraiture is not new...
Correct. The pic [above] is from a while ago...I believe around 1991...aboard the USS Fletcher off the coast of Vancouver, BC. Just for the record...Vancouver was HOT...tons-o-hot Canadian chicks were digging my action! :D

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
If only you had your Omega Moonwatch on in that picture...it would be the triumvirate of Naval Aviation coolness.
True. I was wearing my faithful SEIKO 6309 automatic in the pic [above]. I still have it...in fact, I wore it at work today! :D

At the layover motel this morning...got out of the rack at zero-dark-thirty...luckily the DD was standing by...:confused:
image.jpeg

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Honestly, I'm not too big on Jets, I'm more of a helo guy for naval aviation, even though I would like the chance to fly one, but the helo mission is more interesting towards me.