• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsick?

PCHomerun_4

I've heard of fighter pilots getting airsick when they first start really flying. Today my flight insturctor (private instuctor/ civilian) made me do 8 touch and go's right after one another. I have to admit, I got a little airsick on that last one.

Does the Navy "BREAK" you in pretty good and cure this?

And has anyone else been in my situation?

A.Kuettel

I don't know about getting airsick in the navy, but in flying in general I think everyone has been airsick before. I flew with a guy that puked everytime he flew until about 50 hours. Today he is working for NWA airlink as a captain. Its been my experience that everyone is a little different with this issue and that it is as much an issue of your body getting use to flying as it is mental. My first time up I did a bunch of dutch rolls and got queezy, but it helped me to concentrate, breath easy, and put an air vent on me. Hasn't happened since then and that was 5yrs ago.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So only fighter pilots get sick when they start flying? I've never been airsick at the controls of an airplane but getting sick on touch-n-go's, a relatively mild evolution, could be many things.....not just becoming airsick. I'm not a flight doc so I don't have the answers but it's just my guess that your sickness could have been fatigue, lack of food, having a cold, sinus problems, etc.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I've heard of fighter pilots getting airsick when they first start really flying. Today my flight insturctor (private instuctor/ civilian) made me do 8 touch and go's right after one another. I have to admit, I got a little airsick on that last one.

Does the Navy "BREAK" you in pretty good and cure this?

And has anyone else been in my situation?

If you have enough airsick episodes (not sure of the exact number), you will get "broken" of it. Most people get over the feeling after a few flights.

You'll get put on meds for a short time and eventually sent to the "Spin 'N Puke". Not entirely sure what the machine actually does, but through some PFM, it helps your body acclimate.

If you just feel a bit queasy but don't yak, you've really got nothing to worry about. Yakking is what triggers the doc's evaluation and subsequent trip to the Spin 'N Puke.

I got a bit queasy on my first couple flights. By the 3rd or 4th flight, I wasn't even getting queasy. I've never yakked thankfully.

AVDAD

This too shall pass.

I've not near the time that these folks have but my initial thought is that you are spending too much time with your head in the cockpit looking at the gauges and may not be looking out at the horizion enough.

Hang in there,

AvDad

mts4602

I felt sick the first flying lesson I had. Hasn't happened since then. I think it's just getting used to flying like others have said. Also for me if I have not eaten in awhile before flying that has caused me to feel a little sick. Also that, in combination with being really hot before. I would try to make sure you have eaten a good meal at least an hour or so before flying as well as keeping an air vent on you if you start to feel hot or sick.

It's worth a try I guess.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
As I've already talked about here (I don't know if the thread is still up) I probably puked on more flights in primary than flights where I felt good. I wouldn't worry too much about a little queasiness after a bunch of touch-and-goes. More likely than not, it was caused as much by getting hungry/thirsty toward the end of the flight than anything else.

Fongabonga

pilot
Same here man, I puked 5 out of the first 7 FAM flights in primary and then one day, it just went away. It happened to me mostly in the pattern as well, might've been contributed to the A/C sucking at low altitudes in the T34 as well as being task saturated. I would give up the controls, fill a baggie up, take back the controls and keep on keepin' on, don't sweat it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In the interest of full disclosure...

If you just feel a bit queasy but don't yak, you've really got nothing to worry about. Yakking is what triggers the doc's evaluation and subsequent trip to the Spin 'N Puke.

For SNAs (on the Navy training side), as per MPTS, an episode of any kind (passive or active) after Fam 1 or 2 or after PA 1 requires documentation and a trip to the doc. Nothing may come of it and you'll probably fly the next day, but it is a bit more "strict" than what Bubba mentions.

Bubba, just putting it out there, not a dig. NFO regs may be different in MPTS.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
For SNAs (on the Navy training side), as per MPTS, an episode of any kind (passive or active) after Fam 1 or 2 or after PA 1 requires documentation and a trip to the doc. Nothing may come of it and you'll probably fly the next day, but it is a bit more "strict" than what Bubba mentions.

Bubba, just putting it out there, not a dig. NFO regs may be different in MPTS.

You are absolutely right about the regs, gator. That being said, if you get queasy, but not enough to make you puke or affect your flying or make you yak, keep your mouth shut and don't say anything about it. Maybe ask for the controls and fly level for a while. Especially if you have any desire to fly pointy-nosed things with big engines. The IP may figure out what's going on, but in most cases unless you say "I'm getting sick" or puke, he won't want to do the extra paperwork. Now, if you have several flights in a row like that, he'll have to do something. Here's a little trick you can do on your own if you're really concerned: Ginger pills. If you want to be completely within the rules, call them a vitamin supplement and Ginger is not on any prohibited substance list. In a lot of people, they'll help keep your stomach calm. I know that this all sounds underhanded, but being one who went through the entire airsickness syllabus I guarantee you that it is not something you want to be subject to unless you absolutely have to.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
As Sly said, ginger is a great “medicine”. Not just the pills; ginger snaps, pickled ginger, ginger ale, ginger anything helps sooth the stomach. As for the cause, it is easy to get noxious while low to the ground doing touch and go’s. It is usually hot and bumpy. You will definitely build up a tolerance. If I don’t do any tactical flying for a bit (couple of weeks), then the first time back is always lots of fun. Press on and have fun. :icon_smil

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Today my flight insturctor (private instuctor/ civilian) made me do 8 touch and go's right after one another. I have to admit, I got a little airsick on that last one.

Here's a little trick you can do on your own if you're really concerned: Ginger pills. If you want to be completely within the rules, call them a vitamin supplement and Ginger is not on any prohibited substance list. In a lot of people, they'll help keep your stomach calm.

Good advice above...something else I would really work on is relaxing. Here in T-34 land, alot of airsickness occurs in the pattern for two reasons I think. The first, mentioned above, is because the airplane gets hot, (crappy AC, greenhouse canopy). The second is because task saturation in a new environment...the air....makes people really nervous. The more nervous you get, the more you get sick.

I don't know if this was a factor for you or not...if you do feel yourself getting tense, (deathgripping the stick, rapid shallow breathing) relax, take some slow deep breaths and really focus on calming yourself down. Should help.​

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You are absolutely right about the regs, gator. That being said, if you get queasy, but not enough to make you puke or affect your flying or make you yak, keep your mouth shut and don't say anything about it. Maybe ask for the controls and fly level for a while.

You very right. I was just speaking of the black and white rules, not the in's and out's of making it work. We can usually tell if someone is starting to go downhill, but if you can still fly and fight through it, I know I won't say a word. It's when you give up the controls (and not just to get a drink of water), my hands are tied.

As for the ginger, there's no need to hide it. It's perfectly legal, as you said, and everyone will openly recommend it as an aide.

As for the cause, it is easy to get noxious while low to the ground

Especially after eating Mexican at Tijuana Flats on a cross-country.

Nauseous perhaps? ;)

tlord82

pilot
I was bad in primary...I mean I got sick almost every Fam hop, most of the PA hops, even as late as in the middle of a Breakup and Rendezvous in Forms (though the chili from Florala didn't help). I was lucky that my CO let me go Jets. But I've been fine here in Meridian. Only time I got sick was on my first TacForm and then I've been fine since. For me, the solution was ginger pills and making sure that i ate something before flying. But the thing that really helped me out was no longer sucking and smelling the fumes of the T-34. Made my stomach rumble everytime I got a wiff of it. You don't have that smell in the t-45c even without the mask on.
But if you do get sick as you progress, just keep pushing and try to figure out what works for you. My food of choice before flying is Smore's Poptarts....not quite sure why.