• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airsick?

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich for me... the point is no matter what you eat, eat something! a full stomach gets sick less than an empty one.
And if it become more of a problem, there are elastic wristbands sold in drugstores with either motion sickness stuff, or with stuff for pregnant women- they have a plastic bead that put pressure on a pressure point on your wrist that stops nausea. They work wonders.
The comment about the instructor not wanting to spend the time doing the paperwork is right. If you can puke and recover and still finish the flight they may see no need to document it. You just can't do it on your solo checkride.

PCHomerun_4

I've only been flying for a week and the previous times I ate something before I flew. That time I did'nt, so flying in the pattern got me a lil sick. Thanks for the advice and it if it happens again I'll try some Ginger Ale or something.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I was bad in primary...I mean I got sick almost every Fam hop, most of the PA hops, even as late as in the middle of a Breakup and Rendezvous in Forms (though the chili from Florala didn't help). I was lucky that my CO let me go Jets...

You're extremely lucky. When I went through primary, one of my squadron-mates got sick twice in fams. He had one of the highest NSSs in his selection group but got sent E-2/C-2. When the CO (harrier pilot) asked about it he was told that the jet pipeline was under a "zero tolerance" policy for airsickness (this was back in August '05). So I'm glad to hear that they dropped that stupid policy now.

tlord82

pilot
I was extremely lucky...I was told that my vt-3 CO (F-16 driver) generally did not recommend cases of airsickness for jets. but as i got it under control by the end of Primary and I had the backing of my on-wing (a harrier pilot), he gave the recommendation. however, if I had been in vt-2 or vt-6, i would have been out of luck from what i've heard.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Wow! A case where someone at VT-3 didn't get bent over! Yeah, I was at VT-6 so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. Congrats just the same.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
...however, if I had been in vt-2 or vt-6, i would have been out of luck from what i've heard.

:icon_roll

Do you know what the difference between VT-6 and VT-3 is?

3. What you select has more to do with your performance and little or nothing to do with your primary squadron. Congratulations, BTW, but you are spreading bad gouge.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think he's referring to CO's airsick/selection policies. I've heard similar stories at different times.

wrk

Think it's bad in a cessna or in a T-34? Try the back of a C-12. On my first flight I was horribly sick, worse than I ever was in primary, all I wanted was that flight to end. My fam parter was so sick once that he was still puking after we shut down on the line.

tlord82

pilot
I think he's referring to CO's airsick/selection policies. I've heard similar stories at different times.

Exactly. i was told by our StuCon officer that the CO would prolly not recommend me for jets because of my airsickness; however, I would still be considered for jets by the powers-that-be based on my performance regardless of the recommendation. It would just diminish my chances unless they were really hurting for jet guys.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
In the interest of full disclosure...

For SNAs (on the Navy training side), as per MPTS, an episode of any kind (passive or active) after Fam 1 or 2 or after PA 1 requires documentation and a trip to the doc. Nothing may come of it and you'll probably fly the next day, but it is a bit more "strict" than what Bubba mentions.

Bubba, just putting it out there, not a dig. NFO regs may be different in MPTS.

That may be the case over here at TW-6 too. But as far as I know, the only people who've gone Spinnin' 'N 'Pukin' are the guys who've yakked a few times in the T-6.

That having been said, I have a great way to deal with airsickness, but it won't work for you T-34 guys... The mask was good for something.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot

COs make all the difference in how pukers get dealt with. When I was yakking throughout the T-34 sylabus, we pulled out the official CNATRA policy on airsickness. It may as well have been written in Swahili for all the good it did us. Made no sense at all. In fact, the closest interpretation that we could come up with was that it basically says that anyone who gets sick will be kicked out of the flight program. I think it even used the term "zero tolerance". Therefore, with a lack of a realistic Navy-wide policy, it all falls on the CO. I know for a fact that VT-6 at the time was the only squadron that would have let me continue with the training. I had a few friends get attrited for less. It's sad, but that's what happens. Find the "Advice for pukers" thread for more info on it.

BTW. When I say "We" read the policy, I mean me, my CO, our OPSO, and my CA

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That having been said, I have a great way to deal with airsickness, but it won't work for you T-34 guys... The mask was good for something.

I don't get it, the mask? If you mean O2, we too fly with O2 masks, we just don't have to wear them unless we want to or if we go over 10k. It's plugged in and ready the entire time we fly.

But yes, I hear a shot of oxygen from the mask is supposed to help with airsickness.