• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I too late?

pkrussel

Hi guys
I've spoken with several recruits and have heard conflicting answers, so I'm not here to bash any recruiters but just want to know if I'm too old to apply for a naval aviator slot or if there is anyway around the max age requirement with a waiver, etc since I do not have prior service.

I'm 27 with a civil engineering degree and 20 hours working on my ppl, I will turn 28 at the end of the summer. I'd be grateful for any insight or suggestions you guys have. Thank you in advance.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
While waivers are "technically" possible, the likelihood of getting one is essentially zero.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Yes it sounds like you will be out of the limit. You have to have commissioned by your 27th birthday for a Pilot slot. However, you can apply to be a Naval Flight Officer (NFO), as you have to be less than 30 by the time you commission. Waivers are only granted to those who have prior service, at least from what I know.

Here are the links. Hope this helps and good luck. Also I know thats an NRD San Fran link, but the reqs are the same wherever you are.

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/sanfrancisco/opo/general-information.htm#3

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While waivers are "technically" possible, the likelihood of getting one is essentially zero.
On what basis, most notably Navy Instructions or Regulations, do you claim a waiver is possible, "technically" or otherwise?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I stand corrected, wink. I had seen it mentioned before on here and usnavyocs.com that age waivers for non-priors were possible, and assumed people weren't just spreading disinformation. But the only reference I could find was OPNAV 1420.1b Chapter 4 in regards to age waivers. I think the confusion comes from the fact that some communities have age waivers for all, but most are limited to prior service (for reference: SWO, SWO - EOD, Special Warfare, EOD, NFO, Pilot, and Engineering are limited unless prior service [OPNAV 1420.1b 4.4]).

My apologies for stepping out of my lane.

Scruff

None
Contributor
I have tried twice for an age waiver, and I have been denied twice. I am non-prior and I even have a Pro-Rec for an NFO slot. They just don't give them, regardless of what people may tell you. The age limit is 27 for SNA and 27 for NFO for the NAVY. I am 100% positive of this with paperwork that can attest. I think the only option you have now is NFO slot for the Marine Corps. I am NOT positive about that though. Good luck man.

pkrussel

Thanks for the help

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and clarification. Looks like I have two
Options with the army and AF, so I will look for a slot with them.

Thanks again

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Are you a prior? If no, then yes you are too late. No waivers. Nothing. Too late.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stand corrected, wink. I had seen it mentioned before on here and usnavyocs.com that age waivers for non-priors were possible, and assumed people weren't just spreading disinformation. But the only reference I could find was OPNAV 1420.1b Chapter 4 in regards to age waivers. I think the confusion comes from the fact that some communities have age waivers for all, but most are limited to prior service (for reference: SWO, SWO - EOD, Special Warfare, EOD, NFO, Pilot, and Engineering are limited unless prior service [OPNAV 1420.1b 4.4]).

My apologies for stepping out of my lane.

No worries. Although I have not been around much lately, I have always made it my mission to set that certain group of guys straight, that think everything is waiverable as if regulations mean nothing. Some folks just think they are good enough to rate disregard of regulations. Given your background, I didn't think you were one of those guys. That is why I asked. As could be expected from a guy with your background, your answer was authoritative (references noted) and proves useful to more then just it's intended recipient.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and clarification. Looks like I have two
Options with the army and AF, so I will look for a slot with them.

Thanks again
Good luck.

ExINman

Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum, and would be grateful for any insight you could give. I'm an Army Officer (currently assigned to the IRR) and I left active duty last may (2010). I'm interested in going active again, this time as a Naval Aviator. I've got my license, about 120 hours, an instrument rating, and a Class I physical. Here's the problem, I turn 29 in July. Anybody know if something like this is possible? If it is will I need to request a waiver (I realize of course that requesting one doesn't guarantee you get one), does it matter, since I was comissioned before turning 29? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum, and would be grateful for any insight you could give. I'm an Army Officer (currently assigned to the IRR) and I left active duty last may (2010). I'm interested in going active again, this time as a Naval Aviator. I've got my license, about 120 hours, an instrument rating, and a Class I physical. Here's the problem, I turn 29 in July. Anybody know if something like this is possible? If it is will I need to request a waiver (I realize of course that requesting one doesn't guarantee you get one), does it matter, since I was comissioned before turning 29? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

More than likely someone here will have some better information to give but here is what I would do.

Go to an OR's (Officer Recruiter) office immediately to get the ball rolling. You were commissioned before your 29th. You have been out less than a year. So I believe you have things to work with here but the Navy has put a bunch of things on hold concerning officer accessions programs, orders, etc. You still have some paperwork that you will need to do such as getting a release from the ARMY for your IRR status because you are still considered "ARMY property." So when the doors open up again you want to be one of the first through and getting in touch with the OR will help you get everything done. Yes, there is a waiver for everything (apparently) and you would be a more likely candidate than others to receive one. That being said, you just need to get in the recruiters office and hash things out with him/her but I don't think you need a waiver although I could be wrong. Good Luck and Welcome aboard!