• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I too late?

ExINman

Thanks for the advice. I've been in contact with CNRC (I did the whole go online, chat with a reccruiter thing, followed up with an actual phone conversation) and the recruiter I spoke with is supposed to hook me up with an OR. This was about 10 days ago, but I know this can take a little time. Big problem for me is I'm having to do everything over the internet for the time being (I'm in Kuwait, working as a government contractor). Regardless, if someone at the Navy gives me a "thumbs up", I'll be on the first thing smoking back to the States. Thanks again for the quick response.

josephdodge

I know someone actually who got a pilot contract at the age of 28. I personally think they offer contracts to people if the selection board wants them to be officers. That way you go to API and if you don't qualify you are still obligated to serve four years active in another designator. Some people have been telling me and if you read at NavyOCS that in API you must score 90% or above on all tests and those who don't are dropped.

But since I wanted to be a pilot badly I applied and my recruiter put my package through. I'm almost 31 years old, no prior service. If there is no board till next year I'll be 33 by the time I enter.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know someone actually who got a pilot contract at the age of 28. I personally think they offer contracts to people if the selection board wants them to be officers. That way you go to API and if you don't qualify you are still obligated to serve four years active in another designator. Some people have been telling me and if you read at NavyOCS that in API you must score 90% or above on all tests and those who don't are dropped.
All crap. I even suspect the 28 year old non prior pilot candidate. Isn't it still 27, or did it go back up to 29?

But since I wanted to be a pilot badly I applied and my recruiter put my package through. I'm almost 31 years old, no prior service. If there is no board till next year I'll be 33 by the time I enter.
The age limits for OCS non prior guys are statutory (its the law). If you are too old you ain't getting the job. I have been in and out of recruiting for many years. I never saw the pilot age limit over 29 years. Unless it is over 33 now, I am sorry to say you haven't a chance. Your recruiter isn't being fair to you if he isn't telling you the truth. I hate it when gutless recruiters lead people on becasue they can't tell them their dream is over. I hope I am wrong about the current age limit, but if I am not...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
All crap. I even suspect the 28 year old non prior pilot candidate. Isn't it still 27, or did it go back up to 29?

The age limits for OCS non prior guys are statutory (its the law). If you are too old you ain't getting the job. I have been in and out of recruiting for many years. I never saw the pilot age limit over 29 years. Unless it is over 33 now, I am sorry to say you haven't a chance. Your recruiter isn't being fair to you if he isn't telling you the truth. I hate it when gutless recruiters lead people on becasue they can't tell them their dream is over. I hope I am wrong about the current age limit, but if I am not...

Still 27 for non-prior and waiverable to 29 for prior.

You should also check out his first post wink... It is post 257 on the link below... You will understand his situation rather quickly...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...ard-April-2011?p=680631&highlight=#post680631

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RANT WARNING :icon_rage
After a little follow up I see that it isn't that josephdodge has been misled by a recruiter. He just thinks he is entitled to be a Navy pilot because he wants it so bad. Well, everyone wants it so bad and nearly everyone else got their app in before they were too old. Of those that inquired after they were too old or not competitive, most politely went away reflecting on the choices they made in the previous 5 years or so that cost them their chance. Only rarely do we get folks like josephdodge that is convinced he is God's gift to Naval Aviation and enlists the help of his Congress Member. As an education to those of you passing by, this is how a recruiting office reacts to a congressional inquiry. First, the NRD knows that Congress Members respond to all such requests for their constituents with little regard for the facts. Second, they know that the Congress Member doesn’t know this guy or the complete circumstances of his application. The constituent is talking to a staffer or volunteer. 80% of the time the NRD receives a form letter. Third, and most importantly, the NRD knows that the Congress Member will not expect the Navy to break the law or violate their own regulations. So, on receipt of a congressional inquiry, the NRD looks at the file and makes sure the I’s are doted and the T’s crossed. Then they submit it to CNRC. In josephdadge’s case, to be turned down because he is too old by a LONG shot. No waivers for non-priors. No special consideration. “Yes Mr. josephdoge, we submitted your request for waiver. Jeez, we are sorry it didn’t go your way. Can’t imagine what happened. Have a nice life.” This is from the Navy recruiting instructions for officer recruiting.

MARGINALLY QUALIFIED PROSPECTS. Before scheduling a
Marginally qualified prospect to process, the OR must determine
that the individual has compensating qualities or attributes
that balance or out-weigh the characteristic or circumstance
Identifying him/her as marginally qualified. It is important to note that a prospect that is marginally qualified is not a field
reject candidate. Field rejection is for non-qualified
prospects only. However, knowingly processing or submitting a
"Marginally Qualified" applicant's package that is not deemed
competitive is not in the best interests of the applicant and
only causes unnecessary work for everyone involved (including
selection boards). Therefore, the NRD CO has the authority to
not process or forward any applicant's package if he/she
determines that the package is not competitive for the officer
program for which the applicant is applying
. (emphasis added)

Oh wait, this doesn’t apply, because josephdodge isn’t marginally qualified, he wasn’t qualified at all! This is the route the NRD tried to take. But now he is taking time away from the board members and NRD staff trying to fairly serve the interests of the Navy and legitimately competitive applicants. Don’t be this guy!!!
// END RANT

josephdodge

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlage.htm

The federal law is contained in 10 U.S.C.505 and it states that the maximum age is 42 with each service setting their own service requirements. In fact the president and commander in chief or Secretary of Defense can waive any law.

According to this Washington Post article. Stanley McChrystal retired with a four-star general's pension even though he did not serve three years in the rank.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/06/_cabinet_and_staff_news.html

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
RANT WARNING :icon_rage
After a little follow up I see that it isn't that josephdodge has been misled by a recruiter. He just thinks he is entitled to be a Navy pilot because he wants it so bad. Well, everyone wants it so bad and nearly everyone else got their app in before they were too old. Of those that inquired after they were too old or not competitive, most politely went away reflecting on the choices they made in the previous 5 years or so that cost them their chance. Only rarely do we get folks like josephdodge that is convinced he is God's gift to Naval Aviation and enlists the help of his Congress Member. As an education to those of you passing by, this is how a recruiting office reacts to a congressional inquiry. First, the NRD knows that Congress Members respond to all such requests for their constituents with little regard for the facts. Second, they know that the Congress Member doesn’t know this guy or the complete circumstances of his application. The constituent is talking to a staffer or volunteer. 80% of the time the NRD receives a form letter. Third, and most importantly, the NRD knows that the Congress Member will not expect the Navy to break the law or violate their own regulations. So, on receipt of a congressional inquiry, the NRD looks at the file and makes sure the I’s are doted and the T’s crossed. Then they submit it to CNRC. In josephdadge’s case, to be turned down because he is too old by a LONG shot. No waivers for non-priors. No special consideration. “Yes Mr. josephdoge, we submitted your request for waiver. Jeez, we are sorry it didn’t go your way. Can’t imagine what happened. Have a nice life.” This is from the Navy recruiting instructions for officer recruiting.

MARGINALLY QUALIFIED PROSPECTS. Before scheduling a
Marginally qualified prospect to process, the OR must determine
that the individual has compensating qualities or attributes
that balance or out-weigh the characteristic or circumstance
Identifying him/her as marginally qualified. It is important to note that a prospect that is marginally qualified is not a field
reject candidate. Field rejection is for non-qualified
prospects only. However, knowingly processing or submitting a
"Marginally Qualified" applicant's package that is not deemed
competitive is not in the best interests of the applicant and
only causes unnecessary work for everyone involved (including
selection boards). Therefore, the NRD CO has the authority to
not process or forward any applicant's package if he/she
determines that the package is not competitive for the officer
program for which the applicant is applying
. (emphasis added)

Oh wait, this doesn’t apply, because josephdodge isn’t marginally qualified, he wasn’t qualified at all! This is the route the NRD tried to take. But now he is taking time away from the board members and NRD staff trying to fairly serve the interests of the Navy and legitimately competitive applicants. Don’t be this guy!!!
// END RANT

I don't believe "rants" should be done by individuals such as myself. I tried to put things a little more easy for this individual. I hope he listens to your advice to gain a better understanding then he did mine. Thanks for putting things into a clear perspective for this applicant.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlage.htm

The federal law is contained in 10 U.S.C.505 and it states that the maximum age is 42 with each service setting their own service requirements. In fact the president and commander in chief or Secretary of Defense can waive any law.
This comment alone disqualifies you for military service. Where the hell did you go to school? The first sentance is correct, including the part about each service setting it's own age requirements. The Navy has them. They are called REGULATIONS. You are outside the age limit. You were not even close. Please grace us mere mortals with the qualifications you have that would warrant the Navy setting aside it's own regulations so that you, and not a couple hundred other guys turned down for age before you, should be selected. Wanting it bad doesn't count. What qualifications do you have that would make the board look past the fact that you could not find the time to apply for the Navy before you were too old, even though you have wanted it so bad for your whole life? What makes you so special that the Navy will look past the mounds of data it has that into the late twentys the attrition rate of aviation candidates soars? How can you convince the board that you only want THIS regulation not to apply to you, and you will be able to abide by the rest even though they don't go your way? Let's be clear. You are asking for a waiver where there are no provisions for a waiver. Navy regs say 27 for pilot. The waiver is for non priors only. You are not asking for a waiver. You are asking for the Navy to set aside it's own regs just for you, and apparently for no special reason but that you want it so bad.

According to this Washington Post article. Stanley McChrystal retired with a four-star general's pension even though he did not serve three years in the rank.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/06/_cabinet_and_staff_news.html
The only thing worse than a sea lawyer is an internet lawyer. Do you really think that you can be compared to Gen McChrystal? For the record, the three years in rank CAN be waived. It is a REGULATION with waiver provisions. In the 1990s many of us were offered an early retirement from the Reserves without having to meet the time in rank. But it was a special waiver program to meet the needs of the Navy. No one broke the law by allowing the General to retire in rank early.

Oh, and your member of Congress doesn't care about your case and the NRD is not afraid of the official inquiry. Get on with your life.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

It's actually been lowered to 88%

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
If it's your dream, why did you wait until 30 to try and get the ball rolling? Civilian market not work out with mediocre degree...home watching Top Gun with the wife/gf and you decide to "go for it"?

What stopped you from showing this determination at 24 or 25?

What you're doing at 24/25 = Man this dude really wants this.

What you're doing at 30 with explicit rules by the Navy about age = Child throwing toys out of the playpen and slight psychotic tendencies.

ExINman

Gents, I just spoke with an OR, and inquired about the possibility of a transfer from the Army (I'm currently on IRR for 2 years) to the Navy. The OR informed me that he didn't think the Navy would touch anyone on IRR, until their IRR time was complete. Does anyone know if this is true? If this is true, would it be correct to assume that I would definitely be too old to pursue this in 2 years time, even though I'm already a commissioned officer (I'm 28 now, and turn 29 in July). Thanks for any insight. And regardless of what your answer is, I promise I won't call my congressman. He's probably too busy anyway arguing over the budget.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Gents, I just spoke with an OR, and inquired about the possibility of a transfer from the Army (I'm currently on IRR for 2 years) to the Navy. The OR informed me that he didn't think the Navy would touch anyone on IRR, until their IRR time was complete. Does anyone know if this is true? If this is true, would it be correct to assume that I would definitely be too old to pursue this in 2 years time, even though I'm already a commissioned officer (I'm 28 now, and turn 29 in July). Thanks for any insight. And regardless of what your answer is, I promise I won't call my congressman. He's probably too busy anyway arguing over the budget.

Yes the Navy will take you even though you are on IRR. You have to get a conditional release from the Army (not very difficult considering you are on IRR) and that will be turned in with the rest of your paperwork at the time you apply.