• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I too late?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
I don't see why that would be the case at all. Maybe your recruiter knows something I don't, or maybe he just wanted you to go away because of that lack of boards?

ExINman

Thanks to you both (twobecrazy & fattestfoot) for the response. I'm not sure why he said this. based on what twobecrazy told me the other day, this shouldn't be an issue because (as he stated above) all I'd need to do is get a conditional release from the Army. This is the same thing I had read in the officer recruiting guidance (can't remember the specific document, but I know it was current for this year, and it was an official navy document). Anyhow, I know the recruiter is busy too, and he probably fields dozens of inquiries from people like me every day. I just want to make sure I approach this correctly without making a pest of myself. I also don't want to just give up either. If the OR comes back and tells me that it's absolutely impossible, do either of you have any recommendations for how I should proceed? Do I take this as the final answer?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thanks to you both (twobecrazy & fattestfoot) for the response. I'm not sure why he said this. based on what twobecrazy told me the other day, this shouldn't be an issue because (as he stated above) all I'd need to do is get a conditional release from the Army. This is the same thing I had read in the officer recruiting guidance (can't remember the specific document, but I know it was current for this year, and it was an official navy document). Anyhow, I know the recruiter is busy too, and he probably fields dozens of inquiries from people like me every day. I just want to make sure I approach this correctly without making a pest of myself. I also don't want to just give up either. If the OR comes back and tells me that it's absolutely impossible, do either of you have any recommendations for how I should proceed? Do I take this as the final answer?

Don't take it as the final answer. You could always try a different recruiter. If need be I will get you in touch with mine.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Comments above are accurate. IRR not an issue. I can't say why a recruiter would say what he did. He may be new. He may be reading too much into things. You know, Army perstempo, recalls from IRR, etc. It is an Army decision, not anyone's in the Navy, let alone a recruiter. Just ask for the Conditional Release. BTW, recruiters are not expected to work with transfers like yours. If the NRD is going to do anything for you, it is at their discretion. Thank them. Bring donuts. But you have to work this up yourself for the most part. They can help with locating proper instructions, QA your work and certify true copies. The rest is up to you. That being the case. The civilian processor will be your best point of contact. Good luck.

ExINman

Comments above are accurate. IRR not an issue. I can't say why a recruiter would say what he did. He may be new. He may be reading too much into things. You know, Army perstempo, recalls from IRR, etc. It is an Army decision, not anyone's in the Navy, let alone a recruiter. Just ask for the Conditional Release. BTW, recruiters are not expected to work with transfers like yours. If the NRD is going to do anything for you, it is at their discretion. Thank them. Bring donuts. But you have to work this up yourself for the most part. They can help with locating proper instructions, QA your work and certify true copies. The rest is up to you. That being the case. The civilian processor will be your best point of contact. Good luck.

Thanks for the guidance. Yes, I am definitely grateful for any assistance the recruiter is able to give. I sure he's bombarded daily with "Mavericks" who all want to be Naval Aviators, and all want F-18s. Once I figure out how to get the release, I'll give the processor a call. Ultimately, I'll do whatever it takes (without being obnoxious) to help them as I work through the process. Thanks again for all of the guidance, and please keep it coming. I wish I would have found a forum like this 10 years ago. J.R.

ExINman

I finally reached someone at HRC yesterday, and as it turns out, the Army wasn't even tracking me as being assigned to IRR. In fact, I was listed as being both retired, and a casualty. Strange. The officer I spoke with indicated that the DD 368 wouldn't be a problem, and that he would sign the release. Thanks again to everyone for the advice/guidance. Now, as long as the OR signs the DD368, I'll be good (for this part anyway).

One other note: The OR told me that the aviation community was "relatively closed", and I interpreted this to mean that new pilot slots were practically non-existent. Also, he mentioned that the Navy had basically stopped any officer accessions programs. Anyone know if this is true?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
One other note: The OR told me that the aviation community was "relatively closed", and I interpreted this to mean that new pilot slots were practically non-existent. Also, he mentioned that the Navy had basically stopped any officer accessions programs. Anyone know if this is true?

Yes it is true. Yes they are becoming harder to come by. However, you need to understand you will not be considered a "new" pilot. Although you may feel that way from time to time you will essentially go through a "refresher" or "accelerated" course that will teach you how to fly the "Navy" way. Basically landing on a boat that is moving... ;)... You are in a different category then most of us so the "newbies" here can't help you (i.e. myself). Sorry for wasting your time. I will retreat now to the land of "pleasantville." ;)... Good Luck to you and I hope to see you one day in the fleet... If you have any other questions or concerns I may be able to provide some assistance but you seem to be treading in water unfamiliar to me...

ExINman

Yes it is true. Yes they are becoming harder to come by. However, you need to understand you will not be considered a "new" pilot. Although you may feel that way from time to time you will essentially go through a "refresher" or "accelerated" course that will teach you how to fly the "Navy" way. Basically landing on a boat that is moving... ;)... You are in a different category then most of us so the "newbies" here can't help you (i.e. myself). Sorry for wasting your time. I will retreat now to the land of "pleasantville." ;)... Good Luck to you and I hope to see you one day in the fleet... If you have any other questions or concerns I may be able to provide some assistance but you seem to be treading in water unfamiliar to me...

Thanks for the message. From your note, I take it you're still in flight school? I don't know if I specified this or not in earlier posts, but I'm not an Army Aviator; rather I'm an Infantryman (as if you couldn't guess from my userID). I am a civilian rated pilot (instrument included) So...I thought for all practical purposes, I was still considered a "newbie". Regardless, it would be great if it actually helps by already being a pilot (with VERY limited experience). Thanks,

J.R.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thanks for the message. From your note, I take it you're still in flight school? I don't know if I specified this or not in earlier posts, but I'm not an Army Aviator; rather I'm an Infantryman (as if you couldn't guess from my userID). I am a civilian rated pilot (instrument included) So...I thought for all practical purposes, I was still considered a "newbie". Regardless, it would be great if it actually helps by already being a pilot (with VERY limited experience). Thanks,

J.R.

Ah... Sorry I thought for some reason you were a prior Army Aviator... I must be getting people on here confused... I do get your screen name now though! Sorry for the confusion! ;)...

No I'm not in flight school... Just wanting to go... ;)...

Yea, you will be considered a "newbie" as well... Your experience should help you learn certain things quicker or you will already know them. Just make sure you come with an open mind and great attitude. The Navy will teach you to fly the "Navy way." Your process will still be unfamiliar to me but I'm sure someone else here will be able to help. That being said if you have anymore questions I will be more than happy to answer any questions I can. Again Good Luck!

TBC

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a commissioned officer looking for an inter-service transfer, your quota for flight school is less tied to the OCS numbers. The numbers the recruiter is talking about are for guys the Navy expects to pin on wings 1.5-2.5 years from now in the grade of O-1 and O-2. You will not go through OCS so the comment about office accession programs slowing to a crawl doesn't apply to you either. If successful, you will take off a green uniform one day and put on a khaki one the next day, same rank. Apart from the inter-service transfer, what the Navy will be looking at in your case is if they need any pilots or NFOs at your seniority. As you get into this you will probably be talking to someone in Millingotn that will give you a better idea of the needs of the Navy as they apply to you, not a civilian college student. It will likely not be any easier than how the OR characterized it, but his reasoning was wrong.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
As you get into this you will probably be talking to someone in Millington that will give you a better idea of the needs of the Navy as they apply to you, not a civilian.

Sir, I Fixed if for you... Sorry I'm not a college student anymore. ;)...

ExINman

As a commissioned officer looking for an inter-service transfer, your quota for flight school is less tied to the OCS numbers. The numbers the recruiter is talking about are for guys the Navy expects to pin on wings 1.5-2.5 years from now in the grade of O-1 and O-2. You will not go through OCS so the comment about office accession programs slowing to a crawl doesn't apply to you either. If successful, you will take off a green uniform one day and put on a khaki one the next day, same rank. Apart from the inter-service transfer, what the Navy will be looking at in your case is if they need any pilots or NFOs at your seniority. As you get into this you will probably be talking to someone in Millingotn that will give you a better idea of the needs of the Navy as they apply to you, not a civilian college student. It will likely not be any easier than how the OR characterized it, but his reasoning was wrong.

Thanks for shedding light on this; it's the best, most reasonable sounding information I've received to date. I was wondering about officer retention in the Navy, and wanted to see if you had any thoughts on this. As I'm sure you're aware, about 3+ years ago, the Army was offering senior O-2s the retention bonus, in an effort to stave off an exodus of company grade officers. They've since done away with this program, although company grade officers continue to leave the Army. How's the retention for O-3s in the Navy? I realize I'm asking a question that might be outside your field of expertise, but what's your general impression? And if the Navy is losing O-3s like the Army was/is, what do you think is contributing to this?

When I transitioned off of active duty, I encountered several pilots from various branches who were leaving, and I could not understand why they would want to leave a dream job (or what I considered a dream job, without having any direct knowledge). Sorry this is long question; just looking for some perspective. Thanks.

J.R.

ExINman

Thanks for shedding light on this; it's the best, most reasonable sounding information I've received to date. I was wondering about officer retention in the Navy, and wanted to see if you had any thoughts on this. As I'm sure you're aware, about 3+ years ago, the Army was offering senior O-2s the retention bonus, in an effort to stave off an exodus of company grade officers. They've since done away with this program, although company grade officers continue to leave the Army. How's the retention for O-3s in the Navy? I realize I'm asking a question that might be outside your field of expertise, but what's your general impression? And if the Navy is losing O-3s like the Army was/is, what do you think is contributing to this?

When I transitioned off of active duty, I encountered several pilots from various branches who were leaving, and I could not understand why they would want to leave a dream job (or what I considered a dream job, without having any direct knowledge). Sorry this is long question; just looking for some perspective. Thanks.

J.R.

By the way, after posting this, I ran across the thread "Why Our Best Officers Are Leaving".Why Our Best Officers Are Leaving: A Naval Aviator Perspective
by CDR Herb Carmen, 10JAN11.

Feel free to disregard my last post; I found this article after submitting the last post. However, if your opinions differ from CDR Carmen's, I'd still be interested in hearing what you have to say. My apologies for asking questions previously addressed in other threads.

J.R.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir, I Fixed if for you... Sorry I'm not a college student anymore. ;)...

That will work. I meant to convey that the info that ORs give out typically is presented to civilians still in college. Of course, a college grad may apply for OCS. The mission of the NRD is to provide qualified civilian applicants for consideration by CNRC for OCS. While ExInMan may technically be a civilian, he is a graduate of a commissioning source and still holds his commission. So, he falls outside the process we normally talk about here.