• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apple iTunes Sales Reach 5 Billion

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting spin on Apple's recent announcement.

I have to agree with the author of this article. When you buy a car, you can take and do with it whatever you want. This is not true with purchased digital music from iTunes. I am a big Apple Macintosh fan, but I do not buy music from iTunes online. All my music comes from CD's that I have purchased and imported into iTunes.

Anyone else believe we are being abused by the Music industry?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I'm with you, but I don't think the car analogy is a good comparison. When you buy a car, you CAN do whatever you want with it...but that unfortunately doesn't included making a bunch of free duplicate cars for your friends.

Although...we might be onto something here!

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
You can get the music from I-Tunes to work everywhere. You just have to know how to work it although I do agree it's silly that it doesn't come open as it is.

Bevo16

pilot
Do you want to go back to the days where you can make a dubb a "Mix Tape" for your girlfriend and carry it around on a 4 pound walkman? Not me.

I like the days where I can avoid spending $12-$18 on a CD just to get one or two decent songs. I have my I-Pod plugged into the system at my house, and my shuffel goes with me to work out. It's easy, and cheaper than any other way. If I buy a Robert Earl Keen song, I don't really mind the fact that he is going to make 70 cents or so on the deal. He has to eat too, and I like his music. Sure, I could just rip it off from someone who bought the CD, but that's kind of like stealing.

Apple/Mac invented a new/better way to get a product to the consumer, and they are making big bucks off the deal. I am also saving money in the process. It works for me.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I d/l my MP3's from Amazon ... they are DRM free ... most are 99¢. I won't buy any music with DRM. I also won't buy a CD anymore, two or 3 songs out of 10-12 worth a shit, no thanks.

S/F

Interesting spin on Apple's recent announcement.

I have to agree with the author of this article. When you buy a car, you can take and do with it whatever you want. This is not true with purchased digital music from iTunes. I am a big Apple Macintosh fan, but I do not buy music from iTunes online. All my music comes from CD's that I have purchased and imported into iTunes.

Anyone else believe we are being abused by the Music industry?

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you want to go back to the days where you can make a dubb a "Mix Tape" for your girlfriend and carry it around on a 4 pound walkman? Not me.

No, I don't. I love my multiple iPods to include my small postage-stamp-sized shuffle.

I like the days where I can avoid spending $12-$18 on a CD just to get one or two decent songs. I have my I-Pod plugged into the system at my house, and my shuffel goes with me to work out. It's easy, and cheaper than any other way. If I buy a Robert Earl Keen song, I don't really mind the fact that he is going to make 70 cents or so on the deal. He has to eat too, and I like his music. Sure, I could just rip it off from someone who bought the CD, but that's kind of like stealing.

I wasn't saying that people should steal music, what I'm saying is that you are "borrowing" the music you purchase.

I hope, for your sake, you have all your purchased music backed up either on another HD or CD/DVD. If your computer Hard Drive crashes or dies, you have just thrown away all that money and Apple will not allow you to re-download the song for free.....even though you bought it once.

Apple/Mac invented a new/better way to get a product to the consumer, and they are making big bucks off the deal. I am also saving money in the process. It works for me.

Again, they have come up a solution, but IMHO, not the perfect solution.

-ea6bflyr ;)

helo_wifey

I hope, for your sake, you have all your purchased music backed up either on another HD or CD/DVD. If your computer Hard Drive crashes or dies, you have just thrown away all that money and Apple will not allow you to re-download the song for free.....even though you bought it once.

Actually, I've had them let me do that at no charge. There have also been a few movies that were lost off my computer and the external HDs I use as backup that Apple has let me re-download for free no questions asked.

I went to my purchase history, clicked on the items I was missing to report a problem and told them I couldn't find them anywhere on my HD. Next time I did check for purchases the missing items were ready to be downloaded.

To Apple's credit they have been amazing with customer service. When the strike was going on and shows were being cancelled/delayed Apple credited me video downloads for the shows I had bought even if the show returned to air with the full season. They didn't have to do anything for the writers strike but they stepped up which put them in a better light, at least for me.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, I've had them let me do that at no charge. There have also been a few movies that were lost off my computer and the external HDs I use as backup that Apple has let me re-download for free no questions asked.

I went to my purchase history, clicked on the items I was missing to report a problem and told them I couldn't find them anywhere on my HD. Next time I did check for purchases the missing items were ready to be downloaded.

To Apple's credit they have been amazing with customer service. When the strike was going on and shows were being cancelled/delayed Apple credited me video downloads for the shows I had bought even if the show returned to air with the full season. They didn't have to do anything for the writers strike but they stepped up which put them in a better light, at least for me.

Count yourself lucky...because that is not the policy.

Apple.com said:
When you buy a song or album from the iTunes Store, you are entitled to download it only once.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
This was my college major - Music Industry Studies - I thought I was getting away from all this mess!

Most of us in our classes, including the professors, think that digital rights management is flawed and ineffective. Furthermore, the RIAA's filing of lawsuits against the very people who pay their bills is nothing short of bad business practice. The fault lies with the record companies and their refusing to get away from the 12-13 song album format and move toward better monetizing digital music.

Why? Because today's music consumer wants ONLY the songs he or she likes, and none of the 'filler'. This puts added stress on the record companies to produce better overall quality music in order to pay the bills. Instead of jumping on the digital music revolution, they have chosen to fight it in favor of the older, lazier system.

Bevo16

pilot
I wasn't saying that people should steal music, what I'm saying is that you are "borrowing" the music you purchase.

I don't really see the difference. Music has only ever been as good or "permanent" as the medium it is stored on. LP's and CD's get scratches. Tapes wear out and get dirty. MP3's and Itunes can get deleted. I had 2 cases of CD's stolen from me between High School and College. I probably lost several grand in music, total. Now, someone will have to steal my laptop and i-pod at the same time to get my tunes.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'm a cherry-pickin' iTunes addict as much as the next guy. Great system, with superb customer support (I too lost a ton of music one time and was allowed to re-download for free, YMMV).

But what gets me (and what ea6b has been hammering) is that you don't really own the music. 5 machines is the limit. So, I got the home computer, the laptop, the iPod, the shuffle, and the work computer. What if my wife wants to put the music on her iPod? Why should we need to buy it again?! Or if I want to put it as the soundtrack to a DVD of home movies, why can't I? Sometimes it makes more sense to buy the CD, copy it, then return it. But I think that's illegal. So don't do it. Ditto with borrowing from the library.

Eventually it'll get fixed (they DO have that $1.29 option for a lot of songs), but for now, it's the best out there, so we'll all settle.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Just download the music from iTunes, burn it to a CD, delete the files off your computer and then rip the CD back onto your computer. The files are then not protected because CD players would not read them. I keep CD backups of the stuff I buy, but I also have a couple external hard drives to back up my info. I doubt I'll lose all of the hard drives at the same time so I feel pretty safe.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apple will do a one-time refresh if you haven't backed up your music. I already had my silver bullet, and now back up my music religiously.

I just buy Apple stock to join in the wealth. AAPL for those interested.